Photo

Help me select Christmas gift from my wife?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Leawood, KS, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was thinking a 1.25" ultra narrow urban filter would be reasonable. And a set of color filters. I have a 1.25" Baader O3 and 1.25" Baader Skyglow. I also have a 10mm Hyperion and am liking Baader so far as value/quality goes.

So I was looking at the Celestron filter and eyepiece set, plus a Baader UHC.

Question is the Baader worth the extra money, should I go with a cheaper UHC and take that money and ditch the Celestron set, and get a wide eyepiece.

My other equipment as applicable is in my sig plus I have a 4" F12 achromat not iisted.

Thanks!!

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I was thinking a 1.25" ultra narrow urban filter would be reasonable. And a set of color filters. I have a 1.25" Baader O3 and 1.25" Baader Skyglow. I also have a 10mm Hyperion and am liking Baader so far as value/quality goes.

So I was looking at the Celestron filter and eyepiece set, plus a Baader UHC.

Question is the Baader worth the extra money, should I go with a cheaper UHC and take that money and ditch the Celestron set, and get a wide eyepiece.

My other equipment as applicable is in my sig plus I have a 4" F12 achromat not iisted.

Thanks!!

Well,
1) The inexpensive Chinese color filters vary a lot in color, and high quality Japanese-made filters are only a few dollars more and made of better optical glass. Plus, you really only need a red, yellow, and blue shade (say, #23A, #15, and #80A). So go with a little better color filter, like a Lumicon or Baader or others of similar quality.
2) The Baader UHC-S is more like a wide narrowband, or a narrow broadband. It performs well, and transmits the reds as well as a fairly broad swath around the H-Beta and O-III lines, as a UHC filter should. However, it does not provide the ultimate contrast of a narrower narrowband filter. And if you're getting this for providing as much contrast on Nebulae as possible in an urban environment, there are filters that will provide slightly better contrast. If your viewing tends to the use of large scopes in an already super dark sky, then the UHC-S is a viable alternative, especially if your eye, like mine, has some residual red sensitivity under mesopic conditions.
3) In terms of purely UHC filters to view nebulae in an urban setting, the TeleVue Nebustar will provide slightly increased contrast, and the Lumicon UHC and Thousand Oaks LP-2 will provide even better. The DGM NPB is the narrowest of the narrowbands, so has the highest contrast of all.
4) Your Baader O-III filter is more of a photo-visual filter. At 8.5nm bandwidth, it does not transmit both O-III lines at full strength. It is centered on the 501nm bandwidth, which is where the higher strength O-III line lies. Purely visual O-III filters transmit both O-III lines above 90%.
5) I don't recommend cheap UHC filters, as they typically have neither a high transmission nor a properly-chosen bandwidth.

If your intent is to get a broadband filter for urban use to enhance the view of nearly everything, just be aware that they don't work well on galaxies or star clusters, and they don't enhance the views of nebulae as much as a narrowband. It's why, if you are to use one filter to do it all, the Baader UHC-S is a viable option. The TeleVue Nebustar is also a viable option, but eliminates the deep red to produce better star images and, in an urban environment, a little less of the deep orange glow found in many urban skies. And the Lumicon, Thousand Oaks, Orion, or DGM narrowbands are even better. Just be aware that only darker skies will do a lot for galaxies or star cluster visibilities.

You mentioned another eyepiece. What eyepieces do you have, and which scope would it be for?

#3 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Isn't your wife supposed to select it?

#4 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

All Orion filters go on sale after XMAS.

Get a 100 AFOV explore scientific eyepiece if you don't already have one. The 20mm is only $299 now.

If you can't afford these the Explore Scientific 82 AFOV are also on sale as low as $99.

HoHoHo I hear Santa coming

#5 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Leawood, KS, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Don- thanks so much for the reply, you pretty much confirm in one place all the bits and pieces I have been gathering. I pummeled her with links to diagonals, eyepieces, and filters. So she could surprise me.

The difference in UHC filters is surprising- I got my Baader O3 and skyglow without much research. I'm glad I asked before getting the UHC- I am better informed and I emphasized the Lumicon was better, we'll see what she does!

faack-thanks for the tip on the orion filter sale. I need to go through a few seasons with this hobby to learn about these things.

I really want a wide field eyepiece and I put the ES82 on my list. I have only ever used my 10mm Hyperion and some Plossls.

Now its wait & see..

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I have an Orion 1.25" UHC filter and a Celestron 2" O-III filter and both of them make a dramatic difference in the view for nebulae. The UHC is a little more general purpose while the O-III is slightly better on some and not as good on others due to its narrower transmission range. That being said, I have never had a Lumicon to compare them to.

ES 82 is a great way to go. You should get it just in time for 4th of July. Oh, you wanted something under the tree this Christmas? Unfortunately the ES 82 series are so popular that they have been severely backordered, so make sure to verify the vendor has it in stock. Maybe the situation is better now.

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

ES---Waiting since May...still waiting...

All I can say it's a good thing these are good eyepieces. We are now discovering the BIG drawbacks to JIT inventory management.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics