• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Sputnik

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi,

I came across the following post with pictures on the EQ-8 that show further refinements from pics posted earlier this year :grin::

http://www.thegrimsh...ers-new-mounts/

I thought others on cloudynights would be interested and thought I'd share.

As for the refinements, it looks like they've added two handles for carrying, that seems to be new. It also looks like they've put some effort into streamlining various parts of the mount to reduce overall weight.

I was talking with a local vendor on the mount and he gave me the distinct impression that these mounts would definitely be out in 2013. Which is what motivated me to search for recent news/posts on the mount.

There are a few other sites with similar photos.

Clear Skies,
John

#2 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

looks like the RA/DEC external cabling and metal plugs are gone

#3 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Also what looks like more plastic in the construction on the right side of the mount probably to get the weight and cost down.

#4 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm quite excited about this mount however in these pics it doesn't looks as robust as previous versions. A lot more plastic.

#5 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

The only thing giving me the impression of "more plastic" is the handles. Otherwise the only thing there that looks like it's definitely plastic are the external motor cowlings... Which were already plastic.

As it is it can be hard to tell what the material is from the photos and it may be good to reserve judgement until you see a unit firsthand.

#6 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I totally agree with reserving judgement. I remember being a lot more impressed with the CGE Pro when I saw it in the flesh, I'm guessing this will be similarly impressive when it's sitting in front of you.

Given my very positive experience with the EQ6, I would be happy to be an early adopter of the EQ8 when it comes out if I can stump up the cash.

#7 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Id be pretty confident t will be a killer product, synta seem to have a knack of getting it right. The one I saw at UK Astrofest two years ago was all metal but it was also very obviously a prototype.

I wont be in the queue for one f these, too havey for my requirements but I'd bet Synta will sell a fair few of them and I'd bet they will get it 'right'.

#8 Boomstick

Boomstick

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Anybody seen any PE numbers specified for this yet? The closest I've found is a "tracking accuracy: 0.1164 Arc Second".

#9 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Another shot of the EQ-8 mount, at Photokina, this time on an CGE Pro style tripod:

http://blog.astrosho...012/09/eq-8.jpg

#10 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Even more interesting, is the following photo showing polar scope (concept?):

http://deltasky.pl/w...11/IMG_5614.jpg

#11 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Interesting side by side comparision next to an HEQ5:

http://deltasky.pl/?p=1568

- shows the pier and tripod
- Shows belt drive on RA(?)
- Shows detailed close ups of control panel
- Not sure if the case in the picture is custom, standard or an optional accessory.

#12 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Another shot of the EQ-8 mount, at Photokina, this time on an CGE Pro style tripod:
http://blog.astrosho...012/09/eq-8.jpg

That isn't just a "CGE Pro style tripod" - that IS a CGE Pro tripod!

#13 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Looks to be a bit of an afterthought. Mounts with this type of design generally have a problem with mounting a polar scope. The CGE had the same issue. That is generally why some don't even bother with one but instead rely on home switches and using the viewing/imaging scope for alignment along with software.

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Looks to be a bit of an afterthought. Mounts with this type of design generally have a problem with mounting a polar scope. The CGE had the same issue. That is generally why some don't even bother with one but instead rely on home switches and using the viewing/imaging scope for alignment along with software.

I can't believe they'd actually go ahead with this...I spell it "kludge." I suspect most folks will just use the AllStar routine, now.

#15 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

It's like a skywatcher version of the CGE pro..at least that seems to me.at this point it would have a point only if it costs ...less...

#16 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you posted your comment. Its the differences from the CGE Pro that interest me and could make the argument for some to go with the EQ-8 over the CGE Pro. For instance I find the concept of the dual encoder's alluring. This is also a feature found on the new Alt/Az EQ6's. This feature currently distinguishes it from the CGE Pro. The dual encoders allow one to manually aim the mount with the clutches unlocked without loosing goto alignment.

I'd really appreciate such a feature on my CGEM. I'm going to pay close attention to reports that start rolling in from early adopters of the Alt/Az EQ6 that discuss their experience with the dual encoder feature.

Another item that I find appealing over the CGE Pro is the custom pier tripod that is typically shown with this mount (i.e. Not the CGE Pro tripod) mostly because it seems like it would break down quite easily. Here's a link to a picture of the mount on the pier:

http://deltasky.pl/?p=1568

There are other differences, that for some, could be a factor. Take another look at my earlier link for more information on the EQ-8 specifications. Some of the specifications that standout, though I feel are less relevant in a comparison are:
- Use of steppers over servo
- Rated carrying capacity of 50KG
- Belt drive on the RA

For me, the main factor is going to be portability. If the EQ-8 is portable then it might be my next mount, some time down the road (next 1-2 years).

Clear Skies,
John

#17 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I completely agree with Rod and Ed on the polar scope.

If they are going to bother, I'd rather see effort put into developing a built-in laser that's only intended for a quick polar alignment. With the intent that a final alignment is performed using a polar alignment routine - as Rod mentioned.

Just my two scents.

Cheers,
John

#18 Dixie

Dixie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Latitude 53.3 north

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Polar scope idea is a bit disappointing - reminds me of the old CI700 and the CGE, which originally offered something similar in the early days. Quick polar scope alignment is rapid with my NEQ6, but the All Star routine of my CGE (with C14) takes far longer.

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

I use both methods with my EQ-6, and like 'em both. The only time I find AllStar takes longer is if I've moved the mount head enough to necessitate doing another go-to alignment. Course, you can keep doing AllStar to dial in closer, but that's another kettle of fish. ;)

#20 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

The EQ8 muxt be getting close to being ready, the latest Synscan manual for 3.23 includes the EQ8 in its text, there is a featu which only the EQ8 can use in the new software.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics