Jupiter 60mm f=800 alt/az refractor

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Found one of these locally that's in need of a little love. Original owner is a real estate agent who said that if I didn't buy it he would use it as a prop when selling a house!!! I couldn't let that happen to such a beautiful classic scope so I made him an offer and he accepted.

The dew shield needs a touch up, and I think there may be a small clam shell on the perimeter of the objective. Hoping it won't make too much of a difference because I have been looking for a nice 60mm refractor on an alt/az mount with slow motion controls. Besides that, the scope looks to be in decent shape. Case may also have issues??

Here's a few pics. I'll post more photos in a couple of days.

Attached Files

#2 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Next.

Attached Files

#3 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Another.

Attached Files

#4 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

This one hurts.

Attached Files

#5 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

This looks like a clam shell.

Attached Files

#6 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi Michael! Nice scope. I've heard of scopes with that name but I don't know who actually builds them. That clam shell is of a respectable size but should'nt impact the images that much. It has 800mm f/l lens system like the 12TE Tasco. This is a well made instrument. Looking at the accessories,I dont ever recall seeing a .965 B6mm. Most are H or HM types. I wonder what type of lens arrangement makes up this eyepiece ? :question:

#7 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

A google search doesn't turn up much but I did find one post on CN concerning the B6mm eyepiece and the Jupiter telescope. Seems the telescope is a clone of the Asahi Pentax 60mm refractor of similar vintage. Both scopes came with the B6mm eyepiece as well as the Pentax 50mm version.

Someone stated that it was most likely a Bertele design? A brochure for the Asahi telescope describes it as a "High quality image adjustment eyepiece, B, 6mm" and a table lists the apparent FOV as 38.5 degrees.

#8 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I also found something on page 34 of this PDF concerning the Bertele design. Interesting to read.

#9 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hi Michael,

Nice save. I don't know Canadian law but due south of you it is illegal to promote real estate using classic telescopes as the hook. Or at least it should be. Your scope is an Asahi Pentax. I think the Jupiter/Pentax is an awful lot like the Eikow/Swift labeling. Has to be the same except the name.

Hiroki Shirakawa aka Galakuma has a Jupiter catalog on his web site. I think you can access that from the Robert Provin useful links.

The B6mm eyepiece in this scope is absolutely awesome. No comparison to the HM 6 supplied in other like focal length scopes of the time.

#10 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Keith. I found the Asahi Pentax catalog and the Jupiter telescope is in there. Looking forward to trying it out with the supplied eyepieces but I really hope the Vixen 3720 adapter will fit on the drawtube so I can also use my 1.25" eyepieces.

#11 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• Loc: Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Michael,

I have the same scope with all its original accessories, wood storage box, and the factory supplied manual. It's currently in a rented storage facility but if I get around to digging it out I'll post some photos. They are typically excellent scopes.

Don

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

It looks very much like my Asahi Pentax 60 mm 800 mm.

Great scope great mount.

Definitely worth repairing.

In

#13 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I finally received the telescope. More pics to come.

Don, could you possibly get a photo of the empty box interior? All the wooden blocks have come loose in my box and i would like to know the original layout. Strange thing is, just the top and bottom of the case has severe water damage but the sides are still in pretty good shape.

The objective was put in inside out and upside down :foreheadslap: and all the eyepieces had thier tops rearranged... the 20mm top was on the 9mm, the 12mm top was on the 6mm...you get the picture. The mount still works smoothly and should have been given an award of excellence when it was designed. Best R&P focuser I have ever seen on a classic 60mm scope and the finder is pretty nice as well. A beauty!

A short session observing Jupiter thew the mist looks promising even though the objective has a clamshell on the parameter. When I look through the focuser it is mostly hidden behind the baffles anyway so that might be helping. Looking forward to more viewing this winter. This will be my grab and go for the freezing temps.

Cheers!

#14 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Jon, the only difference I can see between the Jupiter and Asahi Pentax 60mm is that the Jupiter has the tube screwed to the focuser while the Asahi is threaded directly onto the focuser.

I will try and repair what I can but the objective will remain as is. Anyone with a Asahi 60mm 800mm objective to spare? :grin:

#15 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Michael,

I have 2.36 of Asahi Pentax 60 x 800's. Serial numbers 236038 and 237760 have Phillips head screws holding on the focuser.

Serial number 262292 threads onto the tube. Go figure!

#16 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

If those numbers are in any kinda sequence then it appears that earlier models had phillips head screws securing the focuser while later models were threaded. :question:

#17 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

If those numbers are in any kinda sequence then it appears that earlier models had phillips head screws securing the focuser while later models were threaded. :question:

I'd say your right.

Attached Files

#18 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hey, whatta ya know, another one. Cool! That is one beautiful, smooth focuser!

#19 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, I know weird. Another diff in the A. Pentax and the Jupiter is how the finder scope stalk mounts on the tube. :lol: from seller pictures.

I bought an A. Pentax from Shopgoodwill a few years ago that didn't perform well optically. I flipped and flopped the elements I thought but to no avail. Joerbiker snagged an OTA with a very not Asahi Pentax cell off the Chicago CL for me. The high hope was in spite of the weird cell the glass would be awesome and it certainly is.

So I have the glass from the goodwill scope that couldn't and if you'd like to try mixing n matching, flipping n flopping it is yours delivered to your door for the price of... Your address sent to me in a PM.

other keith

#20 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Wow Keith, that is kind of you. Worth a shot anyway...and I love flipping and flopping so PM on the way.

#21 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• Loc: Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I finally received the telescope. More pics to come.

Don, could you possibly get a photo of the empty box interior? All the wooden blocks have come loose in my box and i would like to know the original layout. Strange thing is, just the top and bottom of the case has severe water damage but the sides are still in pretty good shape.

Cheers!

Michael,

I'll make a point to get over to the rented storage facility this weekend, retrieve the Jupiter, and snap some pics to post, along with a pic of the inside of the box.

Don

#22 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Don, much appreciated. I have been so busy with work lately that I havn't had time to get any photos and post them to cloudy nights. I will get around to it soon though.

#23 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Finally got around to taking a few more photos.

The case will need a new top and bottom. Most likely a project for the spring.

Attached Files

#24 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Inside the case.

Attached Files

#25 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

The telescope. Missing the lens cap and chains for the legs.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics