• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

On the way home from town Saturday night I noticed the Moon was shining through thin high clouds, it was very still, and everyone's chimney smoke was flattening out instead of rising up into the air. This indicated a temperature inversion so I thought maybe the seeing might be decent.

As it turned out, the seeing was average but with long moments of steadier air. More of a problem was the transparency. The clouds got thicker and thicker until the only stars I could see were Aldebaran, Betelgeuse, Rigel, and Sirius. Through the eyepiece Jupiter's finer details became harder and harder to detect so I had to work fast on this sketch.

The ends of the two main belts seemed to wash out on the limbs, perhaps a function of opposition, so I wasn't able to get a very good look at the turbulence following the GRS. Surprisingly, Oval BA was quite easy to see (I timed it on the CM at ~155°) and appeared a beautiful salmon color. The little dark spot following popped in and out with the seeing.

Also, three distinct bright ovals were on the northern edge of the Equatorial Zone. I suspected they were outlined by faint festoon plumes but I couldn't confirm.

Only three Galilean moons were visible--Io was behind the King.

Glad I got this one done--last night's opposition was rained out here. :)

Attached Files

#2 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Michael,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter. Your rendering of the Oval BA, dark spot and GRS is great. The light oval near the p. limb is interesting. The festoons with their dark bases on the NEBs are cool.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Michael, your sketch portrays a great observation. It's all there. Nice catch on the "split" NTB, it's a difficult feature for me. All the usual suspects are present, including the white features in the SEB and nested between the festoons. The darker oval trailing BA is very small, and I like that you show the off white hues in the EZ. Having observed Jupiter extensively, you captured it very well. I'd recognize it anywhere. Well done, and I am personally pleased you had at least a descent night before the clouds rolled in.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Dean, Norme--thanks for your kind comments. I was very happy to see so many features and gat this observation done considering I was looking over my shoulder as conditions were shutting down. :)

#5 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Beautiful sketch, thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thank you, Rich. I hope to see another one of your fine sketches of Jupiter soon. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics