Photo

Are Nagler 3-6mm Zoom Eyepieces All Made in Japan?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saemark30

saemark30

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Are all Nagler 3-6mm zoom eyepieces made in Japan? They are very sharp, high contrast and high throughput.
Hopefully will replace several orthos as the HD type seems to be in demise.

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Are all Nagler 3-6mm zoom eyepieces made in Japan? They are very sharp, high contrast and high throughput.

I certainly think so but the only data point I have in support is that I have one I purchased new from Astronomics a little over a year ago and it's plainly engraved "JAPAN" on the rim directly above the chrome barrel. I would be lost without it with the refractors.

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

They are, indeed, made in Japan.
As are the Type 6 Naglers, the Plossls. Basically, where TeleVue is concerned, Large = TeleVue's Taiwan factory, Small = TeleVue's Japan factory, with some exceptions.
Neither country has the edge on quality. TeleVue's top-of-the-line eyepieces, the Ethos and Delos, are from Taiwan.

#4 sniperpride

sniperpride

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

I dont mean to highjack this thread, but do these eyepieces have a slight rattle to them when shaken?

#5 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I dont mean to highjack this thread, but do these eyepieces have a slight rattle to them when shaken?

I'm not in the habit of shaking my eyepieces, but I've never noticed any such rattling when handing it normally. :shrug:

#6 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

IMO I would not be concerned at all about the source countries for eyepieces. It's more a matter of the QC the brand name requires from their suppliers that matters. TV states that they do 100% QC on their products, so that really trumps any source country biases (regardless if real or just perceived).

#7 saemark30

saemark30

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

I would say the build quality is very high.
Where would you rank them optically?
Ahead of BGO and HD orthos?

#8 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

I did not do a direct compare that I recall of the 2-4 that I had with the BGO-class eyepieces. I did compare it to very top-tier planetaries (TMB SM, ZAO, AP-SPL) and it was not up to those. Why it eventually left my stall as I don't use the 80mm enough to justify that expensive eyepiece. Today for the 80 I just use barlowed Abbes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics