• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Marbles

Mr. Marbles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saratoga Springs, NY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I searched around a bit, but couldn't find my answer. Regarding the Starmaster Oak Classic, what were the details of the mirror cell? Just curious.

#2 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Hi. What specifically do you want to know about the mirror cell? I have an Oak Classic 7/Zamubto mirror. It's a very, very nicely made open cell. As I recall they were made by a guy in Arizona...same guy that made some of the early Astro Systems focusers (Nova-Z. Arizona Astronomy Products). Was water jet cut and anodized. 3 smooth collimation screws with large black plastic knobs. No locking bolts. Good tight springs. Hum, I believe 3 blobs of silicone are used to attach the mirror to the cell. No cell edge supports are used. Singmaster of Starmaster could answer any of your questions if I (or others here online) can't.

#3 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

If the mirror is attached to the cell with three blobs of silicon, How do you clean the mirror?

thanks

#4 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

<< If the mirror is attached to the cell with three blobs of silicon, How do you clean the mirror? >>

It's so small and light. Just leave the mirror attached to the cell and wash/rinse that way. Piece of cake. Never had a problem.

#5 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Mr. Marbles, Is it that your mirror is not mounted on a mirror cell but just attached to a wood base? From what little I know, siliconing mirrors to things can have some potentially treacherous effects in terms of causing thermal changing astigmatism. If you are in that situation, talk with the scope builder. Old Coulter's reportedly used to have that challenge but the mirrors were so thick that it had less of an impact.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics