Photo

No need to use the C word when newbies begin here

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Collimating a Newt is no big deal. It can be done for no money invested in tools with a film can top and a star test or with $260+ in tools and everything in between. All it takes is a basic understanding of the mechanics involved. The theory behind it is a bit tougher to grasp for some of us and it's not necessary at all to know in order to get it done correctly. Parsing out the mumbo-jumbo "speak" that some people use for the real answers in plain English was, for me, an eye-opener. A 12 year old can collimate a Newt, it's that easy IMO.

#27 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

with the proper tools, it's as simple as line up all the circles till they look like a target.

#28 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I just ignored any reference to"C" until id had my scopes a couple months and started to realize I could get sharper. Of course my scopes are in worse "C" than when I started but that's not the point;)

Gonna get a laser.

#29 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

...Of course my scopes are in worse "C" than when I started but that's not the point;)

Gonna get a laser.

Hee hee. You are soooo hooked. :lol:

Do you even use your CPC? I've used mine ONCE in 3 months. In fact, I've only used it one time period! I think it needs a new home. Having too much fun with the manual scopes. :p

#30 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Actually phil I do use it still for quick sessions. I find it a lot easier to use and setup without power instead ofthe eq mounted scopes! I know a cps for starhopping?! It just sortofhappened that way. I even took the hand controller off so I don't damage it since inever useit.

#31 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

But yes, hooked. Id like to trade the 8" sct for a 11" since you brought it up. ;)

#32 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I just ignored any reference to"C" until id had my scopes a couple months and started to realize I could get sharper. Of course my scopes are in worse "C" than when I started but that's not the point;)

Gonna get a laser.

:roflmao::woot:

#33 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

My first real scope was an 8 inch f/6 Deep space explorer, Orion, circa the really early 1990s.
I purchased it after being assured by everyone that it was the perfect beginners scope, and It was ,actually, small enough to toss the scope on my shoulder ,stick the eps in my pocket, grab the base and carry it in the house.
grab and go at its biggest.
But no one told me about collimation, true enough Id heard of it in my wanderings through yahoo groups.
But I would read this galaxy, pick one lol, should be easy prey for an eight inch, or this detail should be an easy view in an eight inch, but I never could find or see them.
Then a member in a long ago dead group asked me when was the last time id collimated it, well umm, never.
For those who remember the dse scopes youll know the secondary was on a single stalk, so it was never rocket science - grab the stalk and bend it, lol. And the main mirror took an allen wrench, and it took me a while to figure it out. What I wouldnt have given to know all this at the go, the great red spot suddenly became clear, M51 was suddenly clear, and stars were perty close to dots.
So yeah Id say beginners ought to know in advance that they're new reflector will need collimation.
perhaps a beginners collimation video , with good advise might be a good idea , if one exists.
Not sure if most manufacturers sell theyre scopes with the center dots now or not?????

#34 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

For those who remember the dse scopes youll know the secondary was on a single stalk, so it was never rocket science - grab the stalk and bend it, lol.

I had a Pirate Instruments 8 inch F/6 with a stalk type secondary. Not the easiest way to collimate a scope. One night something went wrong as I was trying to bend it and the secondary mirror popped off and hit the floor...

Jon

#35 Chauncey

Chauncey

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

buying a laser collimator definitely helped me =)

#36 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

One of the first things I bought was a laser collimator but I can't figure out how to turn it on!

#37 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

One of the first things I bought was a laser collimator but I can't figure out how to turn it on!

Didya try banging it on the wall? Works for the cat! Ahhh, you should see how a few stout whacks get 'em running around. :lol: :lol: AND if you do get that laser working, if nothing else, the cat will love it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics