Lunt 80MM ED

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I just received my new Lunt 80mm ED today. It has a nice case and the telescope is high quality mechanically. It will be a 'finder' for my C14. One thing I noticed was the scope was not equipped with a dovetail 'foot' as seen in the advertisement (scope over case). The ring clamp around the tube is very high quality. The two speed focuser works very smoothly and the lens looks inpeccable...can't wait to look throuh it!. I have emailed Anacortes to see if Lunt does include a dovetail bar.
Next thing will be to get an appropriate female clamp to attach to the C14 (I have a two axis plate on scope for dovetail and clamp). I see ADM, Losmandy, and Scopestuff have hardware. I will need to find out if I need a Vixen or Losmandy type rail system. Anyhow, only thing additional I found in case was a very small screw for which I don't know its purpose. Lunt does not include a booklet on this lens. All locking screws are on scope and, again, all looks high quality. The dew cap is retractable and seems to move precisely (has no locking screw.) The lens cover is a friction fit over dew cap. Pending viewing, I feel this is a terrific bargain for an ED scope.
Anybody else with this scope? I see the post of the 4".

#2 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

The loose screw you found is probably the dew shield locking screw

#3 rtomw77

rtomw77

Apollo

• Loc: Deer Valley, AZ

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Charles

Have you had a chance to use this scope yet? Any thoughts on its performance?

Tom

#4 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Would you mind posting some pics?

#5 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I called Lunt and they suggested I remove the focuser and look for a screw within. It was a small screw that just fills one of 4 tapped holes on the body of the focuser. I also purchased a 3" extender so I can use a 30mm 100 degree ES eyepiece or a 40mm MK-70 as I am using it as a finder for a C-14. So far, I have only used it 'hand held' to test as I do not have a diagonal. It is a beautiful telescope and it forms a good image as best I can tell. I will post pictures when I can. Looks to be really high quality.

#6 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I called Lunt and they suggested I remove the focuser and look for a screw within. It was a small screw that just fills one of 4 tapped holes on the body of the focuser. I also purchased a 3" extender so I can use a 30mm 100 degree ES eyepiece or a 40mm MK-70 as I am using it as a finder for a C-14. So far, I have only used it 'hand held' to test as I do not have a diagonal. It is a beautiful telescope and it forms a good image as best I can tell. I will post pictures when I can. Looks to be really high quality.

if this is a small screew it happened to me and i found the screw by taking off the focuser and it is quite easy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics