• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Queensland, Australia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

I have a basic question regarding the sky program, Stellarium. I find it very helpful but was wondering whether it is usual for the tool boxes (etc) to flicker and the program to sometimes freeze? I have been using version 0.11.3 but last week downloaded what I presume is a newer version (0.11.4) in the hope that this would solve my problems but the flickering and occasional freezing still occur. I can cope with the flckering but it is a pest when the program locks up randomly when I click on the tool icons. Do others have this problem and is there a fix? Also, is version 0.11.4 the best version to use? By the way, my operating system is microsoft windows.
Many thanks for any advice.
Cheers
David

#2 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

How old is your computer? What Windows version do you have?

#3 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Hi Todd. My PC was is a Dell, Optiplex 760, purchased in July 2009. The operating system is Windows XP professional.
Cheers
David

#4 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Todd, I do have a fairly new Dell laptop (Latitude) running Windows 7, but haven't tried Stallarium on it.
Cheers
David

#5 Allan...

Allan...

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Penticton B.C. Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

I've heard that some people have trouble with Stellarium running on XP. I run windows 7 and it works great on my computer.

#6 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Thanks, Clare, I'll try it on my laptop.
Cheers
David

#7 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Sounds like a plan.

For your older Windows XP Professional Dell computer, try running Stellarium (no OpenGL2). This option should be under Stellarium in your Start Menu. If you have already tried this and it didn't work, I suggest you post the problem in the Astronomy Software and Computers forum.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:,

#8 JLovell

JLovell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Check and make sure all your drivers, especially video/graphics, are up to date. If Dell doesn't have any newer drivers, find out the brand of the video chip (AMD/ATI, NVidia, Intel, etc) and try going to the chip maker's website to see if they have newer drivers. Dell likely only has updates for that up until they consider it "stable" but the chip manufacturer will continue to tweak it to squeeze out every drop of performance they can. The only downside is if Dell has made any customizations (unlikely), those will quit working when you change over to the chip maker's software.

#9 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I think Todd hit the nail on the head with no OpenGL2, thats what I had to do with my old XP computer.

#10 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Many thanks guys. Todd, I went to Start menu and clicked on "Stellarium (no openGL2)". The program opened ok but the tool text still flickers and I suspect it will still freeze occasionally. I have read that the line "use_qpaintenginegl2 = false" in config.ini, needs to be added. I did this but nothing seems to have changed - mind you I have no idea what adding this line does.
I can live with what I have but it would be nice to have a more stable program. As suggested by Clare I will try installing on my laptop (win 7).
Cheers
David

#11 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I am running Win7 and never had those kind of problems. Do you have enough RAM?

#12 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

I don't really have any advice. It works great on my computer. I just wanted to say that it blows my mind that this exceptional program is free. Blows me away. I'll be using it tonight as it's cloudy/raining here. I love it.

#13 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I just checked it out It requires less than 1 gig of ram. [quote name="Dave74"]Minimum of 256 MiB RAM, 1 GiB or more required for the largest star catalogues [/quote It is possible that the video card is an issue? [quote]A 3D graphics card with a support for OpenGL. [/quote]

#14 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have read that the line "use_qpaintenginegl2 = false" in config.ini, needs to be added. I did this but nothing seems to have changed - mind you I have no idea what adding this line does.

FYI: I recall using this command to fix unreadable, funky fonts in the display. :crazy:

#15 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Dave, I totally agree that apart from a couple of issues I find Stellarium terrific and a great help in identifying/finding objects and planning viewing sessions.

GlenT, I think I have enough RAM on both desktop and laptop - certainly from the info Panhard kindly sent through.

Thanks Todd, that does make sense as I have seen a few 'funky' fonts - never an issue, but thanks for explaining this.

Cheers
David

#16 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

No worries, David Johns. I hope you resolve your issues with it. Wish I could be more help.

#17 thomas68

thomas68

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North west Indiana

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Check and make sure all your drivers, especially video/graphics, are up to date. If Dell doesn't have any newer drivers, find out the brand of the video chip (AMD/ATI, NVidia, Intel, etc) and try going to the chip maker's website to see if they have newer drivers. Dell likely only has updates for that up until they consider it "stable" but the chip manufacturer will continue to tweak it to squeeze out every drop of performance they can. The only downside is if Dell has made any customizations (unlikely), those will quit working when you change over to the chip maker's software.

David, my XP was doing the same thing.updated, no problems now

Tom

#18 David Johns

David Johns

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

Thanks, Tom...I'll update
Cheers
David

#19 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

My comp is 1 year old with windows 7 and all stellarium does is strobe constantly......dont even bother anymore.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics