• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

I try reading proceedures but I don't find the answers I'm looking for. If my inner focus looks really good and then I start going to focus things start looking bad and as I go to outer focus I'm way off, what does that mean?

#2 dave brock

dave brock

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

We need a more detailed description of exactly how the inner and outer focus images look.

Dave

#3 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

OK, I'll try.
When in outer focus, perfect donut, diffactions rings look picture perfect. As I start going toward focus I start seeing spikes to one side. Then when going to inner focus, I no longer have a perfect donut. If I make adjustments to make the donut perfect, then when I go to focus I start seeing spiking and as I go to outer focus it's not a donut again. It's like I'm chasing my own tail.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

OK, I'll try.
When in outer focus, perfect donut, diffactions rings look picture perfect. As I start going toward focus I start seeing spikes to one side. Then when going to inner focus, I no longer have a perfect donut. If I make adjustments to make the donut perfect, then when I go to focus I start seeing spiking and as I go to outer focus it's not a donut again. It's like I'm chasing my own tail.

The Celestron 150HD is what Celestron calls a "Hybrid Newtonianin." These use a fast primary mirror, probably spherical, and a corrector to increase the effective focal length. However, unlike the typical Short Tube/Jones-Bird, I believe the corrector is mounted to the primary mirror side of the secondary mirror so that it sits between the secondary mirror and the primary mirror. Adjusting the tilt of the secondary also adjusts the tilt of the corrrector.

Collimating these scopes is somewhat different than collimating a standard Newtonian...

Jon

#5 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Yes, I would agree Jon. Does anyone know where instructions can be found for this scope?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics