Adding a filter for astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jareddewitt

jareddewitt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I recently purchased a 2" Orion SkyGlow to use for astrophotography in my urban area. I feel so stupid though because I can't figure out where screw it in. None of the threads in my optical path allow for it. The picture attached is my optical path.

Fotodiox DSLR adaptor -> T-Ring -> focal reducer -> micro focuser adapter.

So as you can imagine, the DSLR camera would hook up at the left, and then tighten in to the microfocuser on the right.

I've tried searching for fotodiox filter threads but so far have come up short. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

A filter can be inserted anywhere in the optical path even in front of a diagonal if you have one.

Is the problem that there isn't any internal threads for that filter or that there is threads but the filter won't thread into it.

#3 jareddewitt

jareddewitt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

There seems to be threading in multiple spots like in the T-Ring adapter but the filter's threads don't match up. It will if on the diagonal, but I'd rather not use that for astrophotography.

#4 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Don't know if this is the issue you're having. I was unable to thread any of 3 or 4 2" Orion filters into any of the 2" TV eyepieces the store had in stock. I passed on it and bought a Lumicon because it did.

#5 jareddewitt

jareddewitt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, I might just give that a try.

#6 jareddewitt

jareddewitt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

I actually found a T-Ring adapter by Baader that has an internal filter bay. Just bought it, hopefully it will work out to replace my current EOS t-ring.

http://www.telescope...erplanetariu...

#7 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Orion filters have notoriously bad threading. You can either complain and send it back (maybe Orion will finally get the message), or you can just slowly work the filter on something that accepts 2" threads the losen it up. Make sure to avoid optics though (I used a extension tube) because you don't want to make a mess with paint flakes or metal spurs dropping onto it. Even after all this, the best I get with mine is about halfway in.

#8 jareddewitt

jareddewitt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, funny you mention that because right out of the box I noticed the filters glass was chipped near the edges. I might just return it based on that. So far not too impressed, especially since it cost $160.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics