• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

I got the new T-Rex mount last weekend but due to a family medical issue I only had a chance to use it briefly with a small refractor.

Tonight I have my C11 on it and have already looked at a dozen targets. I just came in to warm up for a few minutes and write this.

I am extremely surprised at the lack of vibration with this mount. Even with the tripod legs extended all the way out and no vibration suppression pads the vibration damping time for the C11 is about 1/10th of a second. With the VSP's under the legs it is basically zero.

The pointing accuracy of the Sky Commander is really good. It has been able to put everything into a 12mm Nagler eyepiece which is about 233x in the C11. I was going to use my iPad, sky safari, and SkyFi unit with the Sky Commander, but found out you have to construct a custom cable to do that, no one sells a pre-made cable. So I have bought the parts I need and the crimping tool to build my own cable, but just have not had time to work on that yet. I will get to it this week sometime. Afterwards I might be able to help anyone else out there who needs to do the same thing. Just send me a PM and I can tell you what I bought and how to make the cable.

The push-to is very smooth with no backlash and the scope can be unbalanced by quite a lot and still work well with the push-to.

Something I find really nice is that when you turn the handles to lock the mount for slo-mo operation it does not move the object out of the eyepiece, it doesn't move it at all. Those big handles are nice to use too.

Slo mo knobs work very well but I did notice that the mount needs to be initially balanced with the heaviest eyepiece attached. Then when you put in lighter eyepieces, the front will be slightly heavier than the back and that works perfect with this mount. If you don't do this and you allow the back to be heavier than the front then when you turn the slo-mo knob it will be very jumpy as the scope is aimed higher in the sky. Might be able to eliminate that by adjusting the gears but not really an issue to me so I will just leave it alone.

They give you a short set of slo-mo handles with the mount and a much longer set of flex cables for when you use a longer telescope. But so far I have found the shorter ones work for all my scopes. You would have to be using a very long refractor to need those flex cables.

It was about $2800 for the tripod, sky commander, T-Rex, and accessories, and I thought that was way to high. Now that I have used it I would say it is worth every penny.

Overall I am very happy with this mount, it is certainly the best built mount I have ever used. I bought it mainly to use on vacations when I needed a silent mount to keep from bothering neighboring campers, but I can already see that this is going to become my main mount and the Sirius and CGEM are going to get very little use from now on.

#2 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

Congratulations on the new T-Rex. It is a beautiful mount. :) What color did you get? I hope your cable construction goes well. Sounds interesting. Thanks for your report. It's nice to have a solid mount. Have fun.

Best, Linda B.

#3 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Would really enjoy seeing a picture of your new mount and set up if you could post one. Congrats on the new mount!

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I got the black one.

The problem I have with the white one is that most accessories are going to be black, like the ADM dual saddle that comes with the mount, it is going to be black even if you order the white mount because ADM does only black.

#5 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

The T-Rex is beautiful in either color. I have a white one with the dual saddle. I got the white because it's easier for me to see things on white...especially at night. :grin:. Anyway, give us a photo sometime. We all love seeing new equipment and for whatever reason, I never get tired of seeing someone's new toys. It is always exciting.

Best, Linda B.

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Not much free time right now, I will take some pics in the near future and post them.

#7 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Sounds good. Later.

Best, Linda B.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics