• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Coming from an EQ6 controlled via EQmod, I was wondering if there was a way to adapt the Logitech RumblePad to the AP Ascom driver? The hand controller works great for jogging the mount, the directional pad in the AP driver not so much. It seems to stick on the down button and overshoot.

I'm trying to figure out a way to use my laptop for the polar alignment routine without blinding everyone. Normally my laptop is shielded in a small tent away from view. Right now I have to move my laptop within reach of the HC to move the scope. It's fine for now at home but during the spring to fall outings, this won't be tolerated.

Thanks,
Faron

#2 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I don't understand the question. You can polar align the Mach1GTO using the keypad alone.

#3 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yep, you can polar align with just the keypad. I align as well with the laptop....red acrylic plastic cut to fit the screen does a great job of keeping nearby astronomers happy.

Mike

#4 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

The slew rates can be adjusted with the keypad.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

My guess is the OP is using either a computer assisted polar alignment routine or just keeping his camera hooked up to the scope during PA.

You can buy a red screen cover or download Backyard Red (software solution). Backyard Red isn't perfect, but it kills a lot of the glare.

#6 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

My guess is the OP is using either a computer assisted polar alignment routine or just keeping his camera hooked up to the scope during PA.

You can buy a red screen cover or download Backyard Red (software solution). Backyard Red isn't perfect, but it kills a lot of the glare.

Adam you are correct in both cases. I use a laptop for polar alignment and I have the camera on during that time as well. It looks like I can use a hand controller extension cable. Anyone using this extension cable? Is it a standard RS232 serial cable that can be purchased at a local computer store?

Thanks,
Faron

#7 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Adam you are correct in both cases. I use a laptop for polar alignment and I have the camera on during that time as well. It looks like I can use a hand controller extension cable. Anyone using this extension cable? Is it a standard RS232 serial cable that can be purchased at a local computer store?

Thanks,
Faron

Have you looked at the connector on the end of the hand controller? Does it look like it would be something available at a local computer store?

#8 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

No, it doesn't look like it at all, I was recalling the two RS232 ports for computer control. I found the proper cable on Astro-physics site, it's called CABKEY. If I do need it they will make a custom length cable.

Actually, I'm getting by with the Ascom keypad tonight quite fine. The first couple of times I tried it the software keypad was sticking causing the mount to overshoot. Windows on my laptop did a major software update tonight, even my Starrynight Pro is controlling the mount fine now. I had given up on it and was using another planetarium program.

Faron

#9 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Good to hear that ASCOM with the AP driver is working well. I haven't had the problem you described and was wondering if you had the "button" drive rate set too fast in the driver. Apparently it is working now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics