Position of scope on saddle plate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Now that I have a very heavy camera, I am finding my configuration is very rear heavy. This resulted in my having to install weights in the front which now need to be offset by more counter weights on the counter weight shaft. The saddle on my G11 is very long, I wondering if there would be any harm in mounting my scope such that the D plate on the scope is not spanning the entire length of the saddle. This would allow me to push the scope further to the front, allowing me to use less weights to at the front and hopefully letting me use less counter weights.

Is this a bad idea?

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

You can also move the D plate that is on the mount to allow you to adjust the scope's position. I have done it to balance my scope a few times. Should be no problem.

#3 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

Please clarify. Im having trouble visualizing

#4 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

You could also purchase an extra long dovetail plate from ADM Accessories and drill it up so that you can have both your scope far forward and the plate stick out rearwards to cover the whole dovetail saddle. If you ask him, Anthony might even do the custom drilling for you if you don't have the machine tools to do it yourself.

Also, if you use Tpoint, it will detect and model the affects of such a cantilever.

#5 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Please clarify. Im having trouble visualizing

The saddle plate should have 4 holes, which will allow you to shift where it is on the mount. If you plan on shifting the telescope, you can shift the saddle plate to make sure you clamp down on all of the d plate. If I understand what you want to do.

Saddle

#6 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Now I understand. Will go inspect mine at home. Thanks for the tip.

#7 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I looked at my saddle plate and it does not have those two extra holes. I pushed the scope just a little forward and I was able to cut on the amount of weight I needed

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics