Strange problem with my CPC1100's handset

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Last night when I powered up my CPC1100, the handset did its normal "Initializing..." and the next screen was all gibberish flashing on and off.

I repoerwed it about 20 times, and was going to re-flash the handset..

I left it on in "Transmit Data" mode for about an hour while I was looking for cables..

When I couldnt find the USB-Serial adapter (I am ordering one today), I decided to give it another try..

Lo and behold - once I repowered again it was fine and I used it for two hours last night.

I think it may have been the humidity from the last few days out in the OBS (Lots of rain).. So I brought the handset inside the house after shutting down to avoid any more issues..

Anyone else have this problem before?

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Nope. You might be onto something regarding the humidity; pretty dry in AZ for the most part. Could be power issues too though; how are you powering the scope? A/C or battery?

#3 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

AC... and I tried reseating all plugs just to make sure they didnt have crud on them or anything similar... Also tried the handbox in a different AUX port..

I'd bet its the humidity... after it was on a while it probaby warmed up a bit and "dried" itsself out.

#4 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I think thats what it was.

I fired up the system tonight first try - came out of hibernate and hit every target center of eyepiece.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Might be a humidity problem, but usually funky characters mean the connector in the HC that goes to the display is making poor contact.

#6 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

That connector is fairly easy to unplug, clean and replug. Recommended if this problem continues.

#7 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Just a followup - since I have been taking the handset in the house at night - no further issues and it comes out of hibernate dead on every time.

#8 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Final update...

Back to square one - If you remember, when I went to see teh scope that first night - I didnt buy it because the scope wouldnt function - it was stuck at "initializing..."

Well - last night the handset acted up again... It started out fine, so I left it run and went to the store... When I got back about 30 minutes later, the display was blank..

Reset the scope and gibberish...

So - I packed it in.

I brought everything in tonight and tried it again..

Initializing..... gibberish...

Attached the programming cable - and literally tried every firmware form 4.03 up....

stuck at initializing.

tried reprogramming the motorboard - "CAn find a telescope on COM 3".

Ahhhh ---- So maybe thats it..

Again - tried vaiours firmwares - no comm with motor controller.

So - I figure I'm out of luck anyways, I need a new motor control board...

So - I reflowed the board... nah... that would have been too easy... still no dice...

So - I now have placed an order for a new motor board ($107)...

While thats on the way I'm going to go through the optics and possibly flock the tube... I'll check the bearings as well..

IT has to be the motor board - because there literally is nothing else in there except the GPS module and a couple of interface boards with no logic circuits.

I'll report back as things progress...

But Just an FYI - I'm assuming this will turn out fine since there is a lack of any other control boards in the scope - So - if you had been worrying about you scope abd serviceablility/turnaround time... Dont - these repairs are downright easy with basic tools... just pop a couple of panels and the boards are right there... label your cables and its a no brainer.

Stay tuned... :)

#9 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Ohh - and I also disassembled the handset and reseated the cables in there - no dice... I actually have reseated every cable in the scope... two or three times now.

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Did you try controlling the mount with NexRemote?

Stan

#11 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yup... Wont communicate..

Since the handset will update firmware - which occurs in a special mode in which the handset talks only to the computer... and it locks up anytime its out of that mode leads me to believe it has to be the motor board...

#12 Baxstar

Baxstar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

I had this same problem with my CGEM handcontroller, It's because of the cold. There are liquid crystals in de screen and they suffer from the cold.

Casper

#13 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Casper - Thanks for the reply...

Unfortunately - my issue is more than due to the cold - I allowed the scope to warm up indoors for two days and the problem persists... I also re-flashed the handset several times with no change...

Interesting thing is - If I flash the handset with a 4.03 firmware, I get the gibberish characters after the "initializing..."..

If I use a newer firmware (Say 4.13 or 4.18).. it just hangs after initializing with no gibberish, but still wont work...

I can get gibberish anytime I want by just reflashing back to 4.03... kindof interesting...

Anyone want my old motor board when I'm done to try and debug? :)

#14 Escher

Escher

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Just to close the loop on this thread - Ihate it when I search and dont hear the solution!

As you can find in my rebuild thread - I bought a Nexstar+ Alt-AZ handset and all is well now - plus its quite a nice upgrade from the old handset. Higher res display and better functionality - more like my old CG5-ASGT was.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics