CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader VariLock T2 Extension Tube 29-46mm

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 svthomas

svthomas

Sputnik

• Loc: Billings/Bozeman, MT. USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I just purchased a used QHY8 camera, and I am now shopping for spacers to get the proper distance between the Field Flattener (AT2FF) and the sensor. I came across the following product, and am curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on it. Would this be rigid enough? The reason I ask is that this would actually be convenient when switching between a reducer/flattener to a standard flattener when changing scopes, as the corrective products I will be using require different spacing.

Link to said product:
http://www.optcorp.c...w=VariLock&st=2

Thanks in advance for your help.

-SV

#2 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

#3 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Works Great!

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

I second the "works great" notion. The guys from Boren-Simon (the PowerNewt guys) were the ones who first suggested it to me, so if they were good with it, I figured I'd be good with it. Easy, straightforward, no flex. I have the shorter one as well, for when I use a filter tray.

Paul

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I have an AT6RC with *lots* of imaging equipment on it. I have one of these extensions between my rotator and ST10/CFW8. My Optec focuser has only 0.6" of travel, so the spacing needed to be precise. Instead of having a custom spacer machined, I got the VariLock.

The VariLock works beautifully. I have the sensor on my ST10 right in the middle of that short range.

#6 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Pretty much anything from Baader "Works Great"!

#7 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

I just purchased a used QHY8 camera, and I am now shopping for spacers to get the proper distance between the Field Flattener (AT2FF) and the sensor.

Link to said product:
http://www.optcorp.c...w=VariLock&st=2

I used one to get the spacing correct between a QHY8PRO camera and a Hotech field flattener...essentially the exact same thing you're asking. It was a perfect solution. You should order one. You'll be happy.

Mike

#8 svthomas

svthomas

Sputnik

• Loc: Billings/Bozeman, MT. USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Fantastic, thanks for the help everyone--always nice to see such positive feedback. I will get one of these ordered tomorrow and check it off of my list. :jump:

-SV

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

I just bought one these too :). Like everyone said, anything from Baader works just great so I took a plunge. Good review on Agena as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics