• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi

Is there a shutter control software for long (bulb mode) and short exposures for a Nikon camera DSLRS?

Greg

#2 nikao

nikao

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

why not just use a timer? :)

#3 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yes, http://www.store.sho...products_ds.htm makes and sells what is required for long exposures with Nikon cameras...

#4 TimN

TimN

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

When you get that cable from shoestring you can then control your Nikon using the free program DSLR Shutter - assuming you use a laptop to control things. You can also add - for $25 - a program called TetherPro which will automatically capture your images and show them on your laptop. It has other features such as Liveview, a histogram and allows remote control of your camera. It also helps in focusing. I believe TetherPro works for all Nikons except D3000 and D3001.

#5 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm currently working on BackyardNIK (BackyardEOS twin sister) but it's not ready yet, not for several months :(

You can try this software in the meantime called TetherPro. http://www.oxfordeye.../tetherPro.aspx

It is not purpose-built for astronomy but it is very functional.

Good luck.

Guylain

#6 Peter B

Peter B

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

You might look into PClix, it works pretty well and doesn't require a laptop. https://www.pclix.com/

#7 skywolf856

skywolf856

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

This is what I use.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B003LRD...

#8 amdizack

amdizack

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

Nikon Camera Control 2. I've had good success and like that is has the ability to view live as well as set up for an astro session with time lapse.

#9 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hi Guylain,

Still no way to do bulb exposures with a single USB cable on the Nikons?

Jerry

#10 nikao

nikao

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Still bit confused why you would want software to control your camera, when you can eliminate the usage/need for a laptop in the field by just using a timer? 28$ or something from dealextreme.. works like a charm..

#11 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Still bit confused why you would want software to control your camera, when you can eliminate the usage/need for a laptop in the field by just using a timer? 28$ or something from dealextreme.. works like a charm..

Everyone has a different workflow and reasoning for doing the way it feels right for them. A laptop is not for everyone and an intervalometer is not for everyone either. To each there own I guess.

Guylain

#12 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi Guylain,

Still no way to do bulb exposures with a single USB cable on the Nikons?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm not sure yet. The world of Nikon is still very new to me. I just got a D7000 and a D5100 over the weekend... and a D90 is on its way. I have received my Nikon SDK last week but have not cracked it open yet so I'm not sure what is possible and not :(

Thanks for the heads up.

Guylain

#13 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Everyone has a different workflow and reasoning for doing the way it feels right for them. A laptop is not for everyone and an intervalometer is not for everyone either. To each there own I guess.

Guylain

Just to add to my previous post.

There is a mountain of good reasons to use a laptop to control your camera. Automated dithering between images; software assisted focusing (and auto-focusing in some case); computer screen is bigger than the camera LCD, remote control your setup from inside on cold winter nights, instant download and reviewing of your images (while the camera is still capturing), etc...

Not to say that using an intervalometer doesn't carry its own metit, it certainly does... been there done that in the past.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Guylain

#14 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

There are a couple One to properly see the object that you are imaging You can see how well framed the subject is on a large screen As with nebulosity focus tool its easier to do to focus And you can also stretch the image to see if for instance your exposure time is adequate. The older I get the harder it is to croutchdown to look at a very samll screen Greg

#15 Fred76

Fred76

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Normandy, France

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Don't forget that a laptop is required for auto guiding, therefore as the laptop is there, use it to the max !

#16 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

i've used gphoto2 under linux; no bulb exposures with the usb on a d40, though.

#17 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm currently working on BackyardNIK (BackyardEOS twin sister) but it's not ready yet, not for several months :(

You can try this software in the meantime called TetherPro. http://www.oxfordeye.../tetherPro.aspx

It is not purpose-built for astronomy but it is very functional.

Good luck.

Guylain

CANT WAIT, Guylain!! :)
My D800 is just itching to do some creative AP with BYN! :D

#18 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

It's your fault Brent :tonofbricks:

I bought 3 Nikons since you told me you had a D800. I now have a D90, D5100, and a D7000 to base my testing on.

Guylain.

#19 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

LOL!!!
SORRY!! :D
Actually looking at adding a D7000 or D5200 to my arsenal as a backup crop body..
But honestly, the D800's 36Mp's makes even cropping extremes still VERY large images packed with pixels..i.e. an APS-C crop from a D800 still yields 15Mp!

Sorry, went OT! lol
I will gladly offer up my services and D800 for testing! :)
Back to the basics and beta tests after beta tests, just like last time, huh!? lol
I cant wait!

#20 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

LOL!!!
SORRY!! :D
Actually looking at adding a D7000 or D5200 to my arsenal as a backup crop body..
But honestly, the D800's 36Mp's makes even cropping extremes still VERY large images packed with pixels..i.e. an APS-C crop from a D800 still yields 15Mp!

Sorry, went OT! lol
I will gladly offer up my services and D800 for testing! :)
Back to the basics and beta tests after beta tests, just like last time, huh!? lol
I cant wait!

You're to blame Brent for this one :)

Ever since you told me you had a D800 I've been thinking about BackyardNIK. I bought a D90, D5100, and a D7000 last week and I'll get to it sometime in 2013 for sure.

Guylain

#21 TimN

TimN

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

That's great Guylain. That's something I'm really looking forward to! To answer Gerry's question regarding bulb exposures with a single USB cable. I have to use the special cable from shoestring to control the shutter and a separate USB cable to communicate with TetherPro.

#22 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

That's great Guylain. That's something I'm really looking forward to! To answer Gerry's question regarding bulb exposures with a single USB cable. I have to use the special cable from shoestring to control the shutter and a separate USB cable to communicate with TetherPro.

Yeah, same with older Canon models where a serial cable is required to achieve BULB. It's a pity Nikon does not allow this over usb on their newer models. Looks like I'll be purchasing a few serial cables for Nikon as well.

Guylain

#23 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Really? Man, you would have thought/hoped that Nikon would have gotten on track by now..there is no difference between the new models and the old ones? that is just crazy..
Ahh well...being that what Nikon is puting out in terms of sensors with amazing Dynamic Range and excellent noise control, I will live with the "issue" of needing multiple cables for image automation.. ;)
But Nikon, if you are reading this, CATCH UP!!! :D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics