• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

The Orion holiday sale actuated my trigger-pulling finger, and I finally got a GLP. So far I've only used it with my little ST80. What a great device!

It does quit functioning when it's cold, however. I'm not sure if it will last long enough to get full 3-star alignment in cold weather. (Lately, I've been viewing from my partially obstructed 2nd floor deck, and I just do a 1-Star Alignment and view nearby objects.)

The deck isn't stable enough for high mags, but it's fine for low to medium magnification. To help make the system as stable as possible, I keep the tripod legs retracted and sit on the deck to view. The only problem with this has been the straight-through finder, which is unkind to the neck at that height.

The GLP has worked like a charm for this purpose. I'm hoping that by popping out onto the deck from the warm house and doing a quick alignment, the it will be okay all winter.

#2 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Try rubber-banding a chemical hand warmer to it. That will keep it going all night! Hand warmers are cheap, usually around 3 for a buck.

#3 FlorinAndrei

FlorinAndrei

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

I learned my lesson. I'll never buy a cheap laser ever again.

I'm using the Z-Bolt BTG-2S. Stable brightness, solid construction. So far very reliable. Also has an always-on button, or alternatively a push button on a short flexible cable - both are far better than the usual button on a regular laser.

http://www.z-bolt.co...y/btg-2s-p.html

I actually have two - one stays on the scope, on an Orion bracket (for star hopping), the other in my pocket (to point things out when I do a demo).

#4 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

That Z-Bolt looks nice. I'll have to pick one up when my current GLP dies ... The Orion GLP is just and OEM rebrand with a rather large markup (why does it need a pen-like pocket clip?!?).

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Wow - The Z-bolt at $60 looks really nice. I've been using a Jasper Always for about 4 years now, still works great & still has original batteries.

#6 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Try rubber-banding a chemical hand warmer to it. That will keep it going all night! Hand warmers are cheap, usually around 3 for a buck.

Great idea, thanks!

I'm curious: Does anyone know if the Z-bolt performs better at low temps?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics