Alkalines stored with optics?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Is storing alkalines, for example a couple AAA batteries, a concern if stored in the same equipment case with coated optics, for example a finderscope and dielectric diagonal?

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

To be safe no battery should be stored with your optics.

#3 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks!

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I've had way too many batteries leak lately to want to store them with anything valuable. Definitely not with eyepieces.

-Dan

#5 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

The reason I ask is because I wanted the convenience of keeping batteries in my GLP finder, and keeping it in the same case as my optical finder and diagonal. I'll just keep the batteries in a 35mm film canister in the case with my mount instead. Safety over convenience.

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ah - that's different. If the batteries in your GLP were to leak, the damage would be limited to inside the GLP battery compartment. It would be very unlikely that it would affect anything outside of it. I thought you were referring to storing bare batteries.

-Dan

#7 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

When batteries leak they outgas.
This is very bad for optics and can be bad for metal parts.

#8 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

A numbe of years ago, i had stored a small device with 2 aa's next to a 9mm Nagler (original version). The batteries had split at the seams and ate though a thin plastic cover. Whitened the syepiece's eye lense, and ate into the metal around it. I was not amused. I should add the batteries were top brand, not cheapies.

#9 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

A numbe of years ago, i had stored a small device with 2 aa's next to a 9mm Nagler (original version). The batteries had split at the seams and ate though a thin plastic cover. Whitened the syepiece's eye lense, and ate into the metal around it. I was not amused.

#10 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

I have actually stopped using alkalines. They are prone to leak. It is not a matter of if but of when.

I have switched to lithiums as primaries and also use NiMH (eneloops) as re-chargeables that save me lots of money.

These two types are great in that there are very few cases of leakage.

Keeping your batteries in a separate case is a great idea to isolate them in case something happens.

#11 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Batteries will not leak if they have a charge in them. The only time they will leak, is when they are completely discharged. You can leave charged batteries inside equipment ... for many, many months ... unattended, without the fear of leaks developing. When batteries become weak *** don't wait *** ... replace them with new ones ... and you'll never have any problems with leaking.

#12 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Given that there may be a parasitic drain coming from the device they are used in, one can never really tell how far the battery is drained. The chance that the battery is close to being completely discharge may be closer than one would think.

My point was not only leaking of acids from the battery but also of outgassing. I know that NiMH do not outgass and can be stored in a variety of temperatures that would kill normal alkalines. I have had too many devices destroyed by alkalines to chance it. To date, I have never experienced any issues with either lithiums or NiMH batteries. Been using them for years now.

#13 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

When presented a situation like this, I always ask myself what if--what if the batteries leaked, what if a freak storm came up the night I was thinking of leaving my telescope set up all night, and so on. I have had the two above examples happen to me. As they say, you live and learn.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics