CNer debut in January issue of Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Grabbed the January issue of Astronomy at Barnes and Noble today and there was CN regular Erika Rix debuting her new sketching column. So now we can follow the literary work of her, Carol L. in Sky and Telescope and of course Tony Flanders of the S&T staff, all regular posters here on CN. Erika's first column is well done, and her sketches are most professional. Congrats to all the CN authors!

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Yes, congrats to Erika. I'm liking the new layout of the magazine as well.

#3 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I noticed that also!
Don't forget other authors of books and articles in the magz that use CN, such as Steve Coe, Rod Mollise, Phil Harrington...

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Adding my congratulations !

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I might also add that Steve C. and Phil appear in Astronomy frequently and that I have been known to show up in the little old mag from Cambridge, MA. :lol:

#6 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

hey Uncle Rod... i gave you credit in my post!!! got your book on my shelf!!
:)

#7 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi Mike

I think Carol L (Carol Lakomiak) sketches for Sky at Night. Congratulations Erika Rix!

peace & clear skies

#8 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yes, congrats to Erika. I'm liking the new layout of the magazine as well.

The new layout and features are a definite improvement. I'm especially glad to see that odd Cosmic Grid feature on the back page gone. The initial Final Frontier feature that replaced it looks much more interesting.

#9 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

You are right . . . right columnist, wrong mag. I don't think S&T has a regular sketching column.

#10 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Mike said:

I don't think S&T has a regular sketching column

I wish S&T would hire one of the other sketching CN'ers around here and start a sketching column. Me, personally, I prefer a sketch over a photograph. I guess maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

peace & clear skies

#11 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Carl,

I agree, I greatly prefer sketches for visual in some respects. S&T is the only mag I have a subscription to, and it would be a welcome addition.

#12 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi Jim,

Maybe we need to get a petition for S&T to add a sketching column?? I have a subscription to S&T and Amateur Astronomy. AA has quite a few sketches throughout their issues. I was very lucky and found all the back issues for AA before I subscribed at a good price. I'm still reading old issues from AA on rainy days and nights. ;) Highly recommended!

peace & clear skies

#13 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I wish S&T would hire one of the other sketching CN'ers around here and start a sketching column.

Noted. I can't promise it will happen, but the idea certainly has considerable appeal.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

#14 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

I too would love to see a sketching colum in S&T, but would prefer that sketches show the cardinal directions or at least be orented with north up for each sketch and so stated. It would also be nice to know the size of the true field-of-view. This type of information is very helpfull when looking at a sketch and comparing it to what is seen. The view we have of an object is very different in an SCT or refractor with a diagonal as opposed to the view through a newtonian reflector. If the scope is not mounted on a GEM mount the view will be different in the eastern sky as opposed to the view we get in the western sky. So sketches, to be of much value, should contain more than just the size of scope and the magnification used.

#15 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thanks, guys. :) It's a real privilege for this opportunity to write for Astronomy.

I'd like to add that Jeremy Perez (another CNer) headed up the Drawn to the Universe sketching column for UK magazine, Astronomy Now, which has been going for a few years now, too.

#16 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I would actually like to see at S&T a series of observations and sketches by say three or four people that rotate through objects, describing their observation and how they go about sketching. This way a variety of methods and/or styles are seen and it provides a break to the column contributors. Then if one opts out, the column doesn't die, the editorial staff at S&T could pick another sketcher they would want to bring in. It's what I would do and in truth, it is where I am ready to take my own blog or a new blog. It would be nice to see that in print or if not in print, perhaps at the S&T website where more can view it if there isn't room in the monthly magazine.

#17 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Ran right out and picked up a copy, good article Erica.....if I had one wish , it would have been for a second page,allowing you to do a tutorial, with beginning sketches through the finished product.
THAT SAID this is a step forward, and I will have to make sure I dont miss any issues from now on.

#18 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

She has two books teaching how to sketch.

#19 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Got the first, as soon as income tax arrives Ill own the second book.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics