December 2012 Challenge Entries (Sh2-260)
Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:08 PM
Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Monthly Challenge Imaging Competition in CCD Imaging & Processing Forum:
This competition is intended to be a fun way for you to improve your imaging abilities and a way for you to see many new images with a variety of equipment. All imagers are welcome and encouraged to enter.
Each month a single object will be selected for the competition by the winner from 2 months previous. Having a one month delay allows voting and selection of the next object and will give a full month's time for entries.
The winner of each competition gets to choose the next object and their image will be included in the Hall of Fame message thread. There are no other prizes.
Please include your imaging details such as location, date, telescope, guiding, exposure time, etc with your submission.
1. Have fun! Support other contestants and be polite with your comments.
2. All entries must be captured within the same imaging season. For example, if the December target is the Orion Nebula, you must use images taken during the current winter, not any other year.
3. Image size is limited to 800x800 pixels and 200k in size.
4. Any equipment is allowed to be used in the images including rental equipment; with the only exception of DSLR, since we have another forum specifically for DSLR.
5. All image taking and processing must be done by your team, including equipment setup.
6. Each person may submit only 1 entry per month. However, you may edit your submission and replace the image with a newer one if you wish using the Edit function.
7. Winners will be selected by forum members, the one which receives the highest number of vote will be the winner.
Please submit your image in this thread, comment can be made in the same thread as well.
Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:17 AM
Dates: December 6th through December 9th, 2012
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Telescope: Explore Scientific ED127CF Refractor - 127mm f/7.5 Carbon Fiber Triplet
Mount: Astro-Physics AP900GTO CP3
Camera: SBIG ST-8300m and SBIG FW8-8300 filter wheel
Guiding: SBIG ST-i Mono and SBIG OAG-8300 off-axis guider
Exposure: 19.5 hours - Ha - 28x1800s 1x1, RGB - 11x600s 1x1 each
Capture: CCD AutoPilot v5, Maxim DL 5.18
Calibration & Processing: PixInsight 1.7
A larger version can be found on my Astrobin page
Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:25 PM
looks like you did a great job, mike.
Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:25 PM
Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:02 PM
Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:57 PM
Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:40 PM
Indeed, really faint ! I had to play with the clouds, to get finally 13x15min acquisition time, in 2 nights ; Halpha only.
- Astrodon Ha 5nm
- Atik 4000M
Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:59 AM
H-alpha only (hopefully, i can work on adding color later in the week after a storm passes through)
scope: TEC160FL @ f/7
camera: SBIG STL-11000M
filter: 5nm Astrodon H-alpha
Exposure: 23x30min (1x1)
location: the side of my house (northern AZ) where i can avoid the tree that blocks anything below 10deg declination.
Higher Res. Sharpless2-260