Photo

Anyone know whats going on with my sv scope?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

• Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

Check out this pictures, it looks like a plastic spacer or gasket is coming out behind the focuser. Any ideas would be helpful. Its a SV110ED less than 2 years old and been outside maybe 6 times for less than 2 hours each time.

Attached Files

#2 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Another photo

Attached Files

#3 cloud_cover

cloud_cover

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

Give Vic at Stellarvue a call. I'm very sure he'll be able to help you. He was able to give me advice about a scope's focuser (custom-produced in 2 versions!) he hasn't sold in almost 10 years, just talking like that.

#4 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, CA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

+1 on giving Vic a call.. Everyone at Stellarvue is super responsive and easy to work with from my experiences

-James

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Good luck with that. I contacted Stellarvue in the middle of June to replace the focuser on my SV115. I'll spare you the painful details, but after another trip back and forth to Stellarvue I finally got the scope back on September 30th with my original objective replaced and the focuser was never replaced. Cost me the price of shipping, the loss of time with the scope and nothing to show for it. I was told that I had rushed them....

Stan

#6 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

If you can, try unscrewing it a few turns, resetting the gasket, and tightening it back up. Or maybe there is a set of radial screws around the perimeter that need tightening.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Check out this pictures, it looks like a plastic spacer or gasket is coming out behind the focuser. Any ideas would be helpful. Its a SV110ED less than 2 years old and been outside maybe 6 times for less than 2 hours each time.

In my experience, the typical Asian manufactured rotating focus has a plastic ring between the OTA and the focus that serves as a bearing. The focuser actually rotates on three nylon setscrews in a grove. What seems to have happened is that the plastic ring is coming out, it may either be stretched or possibly broken.

If you are comfortable with removing the focuser, three screws, to replace the ring, I would call StellarVue and ask them to send a replacement. In the meantime, I would just enjoy the scope but avoid rotating the focuser if at all possible.

Jon

#8 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thank you everyone for the responses. I sent sv an email with photos yesterday. Still waiting for a response. I dont think this is serious just an annoyance. If I unscrew the focuser and put it back, would this screw up the collimation of the scope and any alignment issues?
Thanks again to everyone.
Abraham

#9 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Good luck with that. I contacted Stellarvue in the middle of June to replace the focuser on my SV115. I'll spare you the painful details, but after another trip back and forth to Stellarvue I finally got the scope back on September 30th with my original objective replaced and the focuser was never replaced. Cost me the price of shipping, the loss of time with the scope and nothing to show for it. I was told that I had rushed them....

Stan

Yikes!

#10 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hey Gus, I like your quote at the bottom. It usually has something to do with governement policy. After working in governement for ten years it's become a saying around the office.

#11 Mary

Mary

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Stan

This is not good at all, especially when one considers how much a scope costs these days. I know I would blow a gasket, and it wouldn't be the one on the scope....

Mary

#12 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

So if I try and reset the spacer by loosening/removing the focuser as Jon says, will it throw off the alignment? Is it hard to remove a focuser?

#13 Mary

Mary

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

skycamper,

Is your scope still under warranty? If so, I would suggest sending back to SV. I honestly am not mechanically inclined or knowledgable and you don't want to do anything that may make the problem worse. Another option is to bring it to a scope shop in your area if there is one and have them look at it.

Hopefully others who know more will chime in and hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Mary

#14 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Mary, Thanks for the advice. I think I have a few options, yeah there is still a warrenty, its just alot of trouble to ship it there and deal with that. Especially if its a simple fix. I'm waiting for SV to email me back and tell me what they want to do. If its simply removing the gasket and inserting a new one then Im good with that. Otherwise I'll be shipping it back for the work. We will see. It seems that I few people have been miffed at the customer service at SV and others swear by it. Well see I guess.

#15 Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim

old fogey

• Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just a suggestion........but since you seem to be in Oregon, and "SV" is in N. California, might it not be more efficient to drive the scope down, and deal with the issue face to face??
I found Vic and Shelly very gracious and easy to deal with, and I had NO complaints about the way I was treated, *but*, they are slow to respond. I think it's pretty much a "one man" show.
Take into account that I live in the great plains, and think nothing of a 200 mile round trip drive.
Gas, or shipping (??).........I'd choose gas, and problems are always better solved face to face.

#16 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

Im not that *BLEEP* off......yet! I actually just bought a used triplet SV105T-3 two days ago so I will be doing more of this im sure. I think most telescope owners are pretty anal when it comes things like this. I hardly cared when my old synta refractors had something wrong. however you need to give the telecope maker a chance to at least do something. I need to give it a bit.

#17 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm not that far from you (inner SE PDX)- if you like you can stop by and I'd be happy to take a look at it with you. Send me a PM ? I imaging there are members of the wonderful group at Rose City club nearer than I.

#18 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

hey Jim, that would be great! What's a PM though? Thank you so much!

#19 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ah... PM = 'private message'... takes a bit of clicking. if you click on my username in the screen that appears look toward bottom and you'll see a link called 'send a private message' - that will take you to another screen where you can type, proof, and send a message through this forum without exposing email your personal address, or mine.

when you receive a PM look in the uppermaost bar next to the "Welcome username" and you'll see a blinking envelope... click that and the message will appear in a new window.

I'll send you one after I post this.

#20 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I still have no response from SV regarding this problem. If I am not contacted soon I might come see you Jim.

#21 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Have you tried calling them? Perhaps your email has gotten caught in their 'spam' filter?

#22 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, CA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

+1.. They've always been responsive when I've inquired, but I can see email being harder for them to track than phone calls.

-James

#23 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Just give them a call. They're a small shop, and email may be hit or miss, especially around the holidays. But there always seems to be someone there to pick up the phone during office hours.

#24 skycamper

skycamper

Viking 1

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Ok I'll try calling today! They should be real happy with me since I just got a SV105T as well!

#25 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Don't drink the KoolAide...I did and it left a bitter taste in my mouth!

Stan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics