Photo

CG5-ASGT with dual dovetail mount GOTO alignment?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzystuff4ever

fuzzystuff4ever

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Micco, FL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have an ADM dual dovetail mount I use on my CG5 for public solar observing events (Lunt 60mm on one side, SV66 with WL filter on the other). I've never tried the GO-TO alignment since it's not needed for this purpose. Is it possible to align it at night by "tricking" it by starting out 90deg. off where the dec alignment arrows are? Thanks.

Brian

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Brian,

Yes, if you are using relatively up to date firmware (v4.15 or later) in the hand controller you have a function called OTA Orientation. This allows you to tell the mount which direction the original saddle in oriented (pointed east or west instead of north) when the scope starts it's initial alignment.

Once you set the OTA Orientation correctly your mount will function just as it did originally. You can ignore the original position of the index marks. Starting from a consistent location is a more important technique for good accurate initial alignments.

#3 fuzzystuff4ever

fuzzystuff4ever

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Micco, FL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Mark;

Wow, thanks for the info! I had no idea they had come up with this solution; will have to check my firmware version when I get home (and try and find the dratted cable to connect it with...).

Brian

#4 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Wow, thanks for the info! I had no idea they had come up with this solution; will have to check my firmware version when I get home (and try and find the dratted cable to connect it with...)

While you certainly *can* use the "OTA Orientation" setup in the Utilities menu, it's really not necessary. When you turn on the mount and it says to align the arrows, instead just point the OTAs in the usual orientation. Since the mount has no switches, it has no idea where it's pointing. I've used both techniques with my CGEM DX and they both work exactly the same. Now, since the CGE has switches, it *does* know where it's pointing and I must use the "OTA Orientation" method when I set up two OTAs on a side-by-side rail.

#5 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Re "it has no idea where it's pointing": I've used mounts with that characteristic, too :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics