• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Puyallup, WA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

I haven't touched my Z8 in 6-8 months and have recently moved. I can't seem to find my eyepieces so looking to start over. Is there any decent starter type kits out there with a range of eye pieces and barlow that you guys would recommend? I just want some diversity and don't want to spend a ton of money on individual EPs. Any help would be awesome!

#2 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

It has been documented many times on this forum that most of the currently available eyepiece kits are not a very good deal because many of the eyepieces in these kits have eyepieces with very short eye relief to the point where they are unusable.

It is entirely possible to put together a set of high-quality inexpensive eyepieces that would be less expensive than those kits.

Specifically I am talking about the 9 and 6mm Expanse clones from Agena or Owl, and a few of the Sterling plossls from Smart Astronomy.

You can get a Plano pluck foam pistol case from Dick's sproting goods for $20 to hold everything.

I have been the owner of an 8" Dob for around five years now, and I have used just about every eyepiece imaginable in this telescope.

The ala carte route is the way to go.

What is your budget, and we can make suggestions?

#3 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I knew it was probably documented but went through pages and pages of forum posts and couldn't find anything related so apologize for the re-post of the question. Hey, at least I didn't ask about what's a good starter scope...right?

Thank you for the input. It's just hard because the more I read on these forums, the more confused I seem to get.

#4 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada 43*N 80* W

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thank you for the input. It's just hard because the more I read on these forums, the more confused I seem to get.

Yes that can happen. :lol:
GSO 30mm Superview 65* or 32mm Meade 4000, Sirius,Plossl . for wide angle views and used as a finder eyepiece.
5mm and 8mm TMB Planetaries 58* or (5mm and 8mm Astro tech Paradigms 60* for a little bit more cash get good reviews.
12mm Astro tech Paradigm 60* also good reviews.
That would be a fair set to view almost everything.IMHO.
Clear Skies
Sam

#5 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thank you for pointing me in that direction. Astro tech seems reasonable for decent EPs. I dont have hundreds to throw at each EP so looking for moderate EPs that can provide pretty good views in a range of magnification.

#6 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yes that can happen. :lol:
GSO 30mm Superview 65* or 32mm Meade 4000, Sirius,Plossl . for wide angle views and used as a finder eyepiece.
5mm and 8mm TMB Planetaries 58* or (5mm and 8mm Astro tech Paradigms 60* for a little bit more cash get good reviews.
12mm Astro tech Paradigm 60* also good reviews.
That would be a fair set to view almost everything.IMHO.
Clear Skies
Sam

The 30mm GSO SV in an 8 inch f/6 econodob is good but not great.

My suggested lineup would be

30mm 2 inch Sterling Plossl $80
9mm Expanse clone, $40
6mm Expanse Clone, $40

in between, there are 20, 17 and 12mm Sterling plossls, choose depending on which barlow you will be using to avoid duplicating focal lengths.

#7 Tank

Tank

Vanguard

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

This seems to be a nice kit for starters!
http://www.ebay.com/...2-FULLY-MULT...

#8 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Why not choose for a good zoom ep? For example the Baader Zoom.

#9 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

The problem with that Sterling set is that you're buying the 4mm and 6mm Plossls. Too little eye relief to be useful.

#10 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

So I have to ask, if Zhumell puts out a few eyepieces in a kit and the ones they provide with the z8 are pretty decent, what's to say the kit isn't just as good? Just wondering. I've read just as many good things to say about some of these eye pieces than I have read bad things. I think it's all in the eye of the beholder? (No pun intended)

#11 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

The problem with that Sterling set is that you're buying the 4mm and 6mm Plossls. Too little eye relief to be useful.

Well, that may not be the case for the OP.

#12 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

So I have to ask, if Zhumell puts out a few eyepieces in a kit and the ones they provide with the z8 are pretty decent, what's to say the kit isn't just as good? Just wondering. I've read just as many good things to say about some of these eye pieces than I have read bad things. I think it's all in the eye of the beholder? (No pun intended)

most of the kits contain inexpensive chinese 1.25 inch plossls and a few low quality color filters that would not be very useful. The Z Dobs come with a GSO 9/10mm plossl of similar quality and a 30mm GSO Superview that's decent af f/6 but not very good in faster scopes.

The 30mm Sterling is superior to the 30mm Superview and far superior to the low power ep's in the kits.

The 9 and 6mm Expanse clones are "poor man's Naglers" and blow away the inexpensive plossls in the kits and supplied with the scope, in terms of eye relief and apparent field of view.

The 15 and 20mm Expanse clones however should be avoided .

#13 salientbunny

salientbunny

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Georgia, US

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

This is a good eyepiece kit with decent eye relief throughout the range.

http://www.telescope...meadeseries5...

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I haven't touched my Z8 in 6-8 months and have recently moved. I can't seem to find my eyepieces so looking to start over. Is there any decent starter type kits out there with a range of eye pieces and barlow that you guys would recommend? I just want some diversity and don't want to spend a ton of money on individual EPs. Any help would be awesome!

Whatever you buy, a decent set to start with, for your scope, would produce magnifications of 50X, 100X and 150X.
Add a decent 2X Barlow to produce 200X and 300X, and you cover all the bases.
Since your scope has a focal length of 1200 mm, that means eyepieces of 24mm, 12mm, and 8mm (all +/- 1mm or so).
Wider apparent field eyepieces will give you larger fields of view to look at and mean less nudging of your scope.
Astrotech, Baader, and Explore Scientific are all fairly cost-effective additions to your kit. Ditto on Barlows.

#15 Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I second salientbunny's recommendation for the Meade HD-60 series 500 set. I'm pretty happy with mine, love the eye relief (can use all 6 with or without glasses). They seem to do well in my 8" f/10 SCT.

#16 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Maybe not. But I view our job here as giving good advice. No way I could advise someone to buy two eyepieces I wouldn't use myself.

#17 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

This is a good eyepiece kit with decent eye relief throughout the range.

http://www.telescope...meadeseries5...

Having a new baby, 400 is a bit out of my price range. If I had to pick say 2 of the EPs out of the bunch and I can find my z8 32mm and 9mm EPs that came with the scope, what would be the best bang for buck for range of mags? Also, what is a reasonable barlow brand to look into? The Celestron Omni 2x for example? Or is that too cheapo?

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. This is why I love this site. :jump:

#18 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Maybe not. But I view our job here as giving good advice. No way I could advise someone to buy two eyepieces I wouldn't use myself.

Even if the OP doesn't need glasses to observe, chances are that sooner or later he will want to share a view with someone who does.

This happens at our club's star parties all the time.

#19 cjohnson21

cjohnson21

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Even if the OP doesn't need glasses to observe, chances are that sooner or later he will want to share a view with someone who does.

This happens at our club's star parties all the time.

I can view without glasses but I wear them normally. So eye relief is something I normally consider

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics