Tasco 11TR tweaks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Got an 11TR super cheap a couple months ago. I had cleaned the mirror did a rough collimation and looked at a few things.
Images were good but there was a little astigmatism. looked again and the secondary was not in the right spot. Decided to get rid of the shell and silicone a new 1"(better coating and pyrex) that was laying around. Machined a little holder, glued it down. Shortened the focus tube about 10mm so it isn't in the light path, shaved off the inner wing nuts on the spider. This reduced to CO from 1.17" to about 0.98" and the mirror is more secure. Doing a few other little tweaks. I'll try and get some pics. Interesting to see what kind of performance I can from of this $5 scope. It seems to have a good mirror.

#2 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Marc, I look forward to the pictures and further descriptions of those changes. I've got an 11-T I am in the process of fixing up (some different changes than yours), so seeing what you're doing is definitely of interest.

#3 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Here are some pics of the modded secondary holder. and focuser drawtube.

Attached Files

#4 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Redrilled holes for the spider. With the new holder it needed to be moved and now it stays put.

Attached Files

#5 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

another pic

Attached Files

#6 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

I may add some flocking and clip the wingnuts then call it a day. They may not even be in the light path.

#7 legendsatlunch

legendsatlunch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi I'm new to the forum and want to say many many thanks for this thread!!!! I have searched high and low for my scope and it turns out this is it!!!!.
I have just completed an overhall myself on the scope, straightened a few dints from the previous owner! ( scope toppled over) ouch.... I stripped the mount apart and cleaned and re greased etc... did a quick collimation after cleaning both of the mirrors.... it is now starting to look quite nice.... I have been thinking on getting some quality lenses for it, after reading a few post about this scope.
would you recommend changing the focuser... ( can't remember name of it.... )
I'll grab some pice soon of it and upload them...
again Many thanks for a great thread... p.s I'm a very novice sky watcher!

#8 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Hi and welcome.We would like to see some pics of your instrument and the work you've done on it.I have one of these scopes too.They're very good optically. :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics