Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

About the Losmandy OPW, it worthy? Any feedback. Thanks

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have installed a number of them for customers. I like them a lot better than the stock setup. Any adjustment system is better than no adjustment system like the stock blocks, and while this is not a great design, it is certainly a good improvement. I would recommend them. They should come stock on the mounts in my opinion.

#3 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Jose,
I put one on the RA of my G11. Works great, simple to install, easy to adjust, tracking is fantastic.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#4 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Jose,
I had Ed Thomas put one in the RA axis when he HyperTuned my G 11. The combination of the two really smoothed out my guiding and I consider it well worth it.
Brad

#5 GolfSierra

GolfSierra

Vostok 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hypertuning a G11? I grease the bearings once a year and clean the clutch discs with dish soap, good as new.

#6 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

I consider the G11 to be more a matter of "tuning up" and maintenance (like you do) than "HyperTuning" (except when it comes to upgrading components). The big thing is that some people do not like to mess with their $3500+ equipment themselves. Overall, the G11 is a fairly simple mount to work on, but removing the needle roller bearings is a real pain (the worst of any mount I work on regularly) and adjusting the worm is just a bother since there is no adjustment mechanism with the standard worm blocks. In addition, some mounts need a lot more work than others simply because they don't get cleaned and regreased once a year.

#7 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

GolfSierra,
Good as new compared to what ? I hope it meets all your expectations and performs the way you expect. I don't know what you use yours for, but mine needed help to perform the way I expected.
You got a good one. Mine was used, maybe neglected for several years. A HyperTune worked wonders for my mount as well as many other people I know that own G11's. It is a great mount for the money. Better than most anything near it's price point.
Good as new is only what you expect, I don't know what you use yours for or what you expect of it. But if you are HAPPY, that is all that really matters.

Mine now does all that I expect from it, and surprises me how well it does it, but so much better after the HyperTune.

I like it,
Brad

#8 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Ed,

Don't forget people like me who find that their worm gear has some scraping (probably from trying to get the worm to engage with the gear). This scrapping might need to be polished out.

#9 GolfSierra

GolfSierra

Vostok 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Brad,
I recently upgraded to the Gemini 2 but will retain the standard drive as it has served me well. I may consider the OPW at some point but for casual DSLR imaging that I do it tracks and guides well for 300" exposures at 600-800mm f/l. With minimal effort from me it has been trouble free with multiple weight and optical tube arrangements. As Ed wrote, a little annual "tuning up"and it runs like watch. I agree, we both like them!

Gary

#10 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I installed the OPW-G11, before I was guiding with an OAG TS-9 and a SSAG... all good!, I got 600 secs with no problem but with FL's no longer than 800mm. Now, I got the 50mm mini guidescope to test with the new worm block and got a very low RMS on PHD which very positive. This time I used my AT6RC at f/9 1368mm Fl, wow flawless 600secs shot at that FL.

My next test is with my Meade 8" @ f/10 2000mm FL. I always use focal reducer to short time. But testing at long focal lenght will tell me how better will be with focal reducer.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics