Zeiss 8x56 GAT* Dialyt

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Does anyone have one, or can give first hand report on these classic,
very appealing (at least to me) binoculars?

Kenny Jones has a review of it's smaller sister which sounds very positive.

I am tempted to get a pair because , well because, they just look so cool;
and the hunting/low light reviews are good,
these have stood the test of time being on the market since the mid 1960s.

One review stated that these were the binoculars of choice for European boar hunters, another the choice for hunters and stalkers.
I do not hunt,
and the University of Arkansas Razorback fans would object to boar hunting,
and the law would frown on stalking;
still they look very, very, cool.

edj

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

please, no "a fool and his money are soon parted" quotes

edj

#3 Mapleton

Mapleton

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I actually really like this binocular. Only because it looks very European and unique. It's not waterproof and the image quality, dollar for dollar maybe a small downgrade. But I would love to get a hold of one.

It kinda really is a novelty though.

#4 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

I've not tried the Zeiss. I did buy the Docter version 8x58 because I thought it was cool and it is half the price of the Zeiss.

The Docter is heavier and doesn't have the classic look of the Zeiss but I think the optics are comparable based on the Allbinos reviews of these bino's.

Attached Files

#5 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hi Edj,

They realy are beautiful looking binoculars and still available new. They are very bright and sharp on axis. They have quite a bit of chromatic aberration, showing bright bright stars with a tinge of blue, even in the centre. Their AFOV is comparable to the classic 7x50's: narrowish 50 degrees. The 7x42 Dialyt's (nla new) are more special IMHO, with their 6mm exit pupil and 60 degree AFOV. They have less CA too.

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Edwin,

Having only looked through one 8x56 Dialyt very briefly, and many years ago at that,my guess is it would be great for terrestrial viewing,but probably only average for astro-use.

I was very reluctant to sell my "little sister" Zeiss 7x42 earlier this year,and really wish I hadn't needed to.

Kenny

#7 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

That's the first I've heard of that very unfortunate news, Kenny. Hope you'll be able to recover it one day; I do see them on eBay every now and then.

#8 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Must have been desperate times Kenny, I know you loved those 7x42s.

I have heard these dialyts are lovely by day, never heard an astro report of them however. I like their appearence very much, a certain retro appeal and the use of the abbe-koenig prism is interesting.

#9 ronharper

ronharper

Vanguard

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

This 8x56 is revered among European hunters, as having shown more wild boars "doing it" by moonlight than any other binocular ever made.
Ron

#10 mercedes_sl1970

mercedes_sl1970

Viking 1

• Loc: Canberra, Oz

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi Edj

I have a pair of the Zeiss 8x56 but non T* coated - secondhand for... AU$20. I suspect they are are early 1970s.

Yes, they are delightful to use. Yes, they look the part. Yes, there is just a little nostalgia surrounding them. Yes, they are very sharp on axis, and the view seems to pop. But, they are let down by their older coatings, and for night time use with field curvature from about 70%. But, so what? They do look rather good and who cares what the view is like. They are Zeiss 8x56 Dialyts and probably the only Zeiss I will ever own!

Now, if I could find a set of 7x42s T*P for the same price...

Andrew

#11 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

This 8x56 is revered among European hunters, as having shown more wild boars "doing it" by moonlight than any other binocular ever made.
Ron

what more could one ask in binoculars :question:

edj

#12 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

<That's the first I've heard of that very unfortunate news, Kenny. Hope you'll be able to recover it one day; I do see them on eBay every now and then>

Hi Mark,
I didn't need to resort to e-bay to sell mine -- it sold WITHIN TWO HOURS of first appearing on a reputable dealer's website!

Selling my 85mm Zeiss Diascope was a different story -- Three weeks here in the classifieds without a single response,followed by a week on the same dealer's web site that my 7x42 went via so quickly,but even that sold at my BUY IT NOW reserved price within three hours of putting it up on the bay!

What I miss most about the 7x42 BGAT is that 8.6 degree TFOV.

From what I recall, the 8x56 didn't seem to have a particularly wide field of view for a 8x binocular,no comparison to the 7x42 in that regard.

All things considered,v.i.z.:

likely price,weight,ergonomics,field of view,exit-pupil,area of "sweet spot" and overall "instant likeability",I think a 7x42 BGAT would be a considerably WISER choice from the two - which is why I treated myself to mine all those years ago! :-)

Kenny

#13 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi Edj

I have a pair of the Zeiss 8x56 but non T* coated - secondhand for... AU$20. I suspect they are are early 1970s.

Yes, they are delightful to use. Yes, they look the part. Yes, there is just a little nostalgia surrounding them. Yes, they are very sharp on axis, and the view seems to pop. But, they are let down by their older coatings, and for night time use with field curvature from about 70%. But, so what? They do look rather good and who cares what the view is like. They are Zeiss 8x56 Dialyts and probably the only Zeiss I will ever own!

Now, if I could find a set of 7x42s T*P for the same price...

Andrew

Andrew:

If you tire of the Zeiss, I would double the price you
paid, and pay for shipping to the US.

Think about it ! :smirk:

Let me know, I am ready.

Jerry

#14 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I will agree that I think that the Zeiss B/Gat armored binocular is the coolest looking binocular out there. I remember drooling over catalog pictures of them four decades ago.

#15 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

edj

but it is true, so so true

a few years ago I got the SW 8.5x42s because they just felt so good in my hands;
not for the optics but they were great also

today I ordered the Dialyt, because it just looks so cool;
from the comments any imperfections in the optics can be easily overlooked.

review to follow

edj

#16 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

today I ordered the Dialyt, because it just looks so cool;
from the comments any imperfections in the optics can be easily overlooked.

review to follow

edj

Edj,

You are :yay: :waytogo: :jump:

No better reason to buy a Classic!

#17 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

nothing foolish about that purchase

#18 mercedes_sl1970

mercedes_sl1970

Viking 1

• Loc: Canberra, Oz

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Good luck with the purchase. Will be interested to hear of your experience with them.

Jerry - I think my old dialyts might just be welded to me!

Andrew

#19 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

edj

http://www.ebay.com/...-Case-Straps... :grin:

#20 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

If a purchase is based on 'coolness', overlooking demonstrated optical imperfections, then it is truly a case of a fool being parted from his money. If an instrument having a large exit pupil is known to perform well only in brighter conditions where the observer's pupil stops down the system, then the extra aperture is really a waste, adding only needless mass.

If the desire is to observe boars fornicating at night, the most important quality is the suppression of veiling glare, which can be accomplished at very much reduced cost, not requiring the cachet of a brand name, or the 'coolness' of a Euro design.

#21 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

That sounds as if you think the Zeiss 8x56 is a piece of *BLEEP*, Glenn. Care to elaborate?

#22 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

If a purchase is based on 'coolness', overlooking demonstrated optical imperfections, then it is truly a case of a fool being parted from his money. If an instrument having a large exit pupil is known to perform well only in brighter conditions where the observer's pupil stops down the system, then the extra aperture is really a waste, adding only needless mass.

If the desire is to observe boars fornicating at night, the most important quality is the suppression of veiling glare, which can be accomplished at very much reduced cost, not requiring the cachet of a brand name, or the 'coolness' of a Euro design.

maybe a little hard, but you bring up a good point about motivation of buyers to do what we do
is this worse than impulse buying, following the crowd, empty ads with pretty or popular faces, pride, ?

the bottom line is my enjoyment of use-the worse purchases I have made are items that everyone else loves, but I just do not like.

but you do have a point-divorse courts and used car lots are full of "coolness" items

edj

#23 ronharper

ronharper

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

edj,
If you would only share a list of your instruments with the forum in your signature line, we could split it up among ourselves, come up with withering comments about each, and use each as an indicator of your flawed personality. I've been meaning to talk to you about that 10+15 especially....much too cool.
Ron

#24 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I would hope that my flawed personality is too off topic for the TOS to allow.

or

we could have a forum" Personality flaws of CN members" dedicated to this with most flawed awards

edj

#25 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

I received a notice the the binoculars are being shipped today

edj

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics