• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 astrogaffer

astrogaffer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm thinking of picking up a case for a set of 1.25 inch Televue eyepieces. This set includes the Radian 3 and 8 mm , Nagler Type 6 - - 5 and 11 mm, and Panoptic 19 and 24 mm. I was thinking of a Pelican case. Does anyone have any recommendations for cases they have used and are content with?

#2 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

You have six very nice 1.25 inch ep's to be sure. I am very happy with my Pelican divider case. It holds all the accessories in my sig, including the Telrad, as well as a small canvas tool kit and the doughnut counterweights.

If you just want storage for the 6 ep's you could get something smaller.

#3 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

I bought a case less than a year ago. I needed a heavy duty case for a high weight load. The options I found were Pelican, Nanuk, B & W, Hofbauer, Vanguard. All except the Nanuk were available here and I had the opportunity to play with them. I found all of them adequate and they all had something better than the others. Allaround the best cost effectiveness (considering also the possibility to buy new foam in the future at half the cost of a Pelican's) was with B & W http://www.astrovox....ad.php?id=40108
http://www.b-w-inter...&view=articl...
It is the B&W Outdoor Type 61/B/SI Model.
They are very similar to the Pelicans. The only thing I wished they had is the new Pelican soft material handle.
Of course B & W is an opportunity for us because it is European. For Northen Americans a Pelican might still be the best.

#4 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

You are at about $1,500 worth of eye pieces so far and that does not include your diagonal or any filters. I say don't cheap out on something not up to the task.

Wood holds moisture, metal draws moisture, tool boxes and fishing tackle boxes don't seal well.

I have four grandchildren ranging in ages 18mo. to 8 years old. My pelican case gives me peace of mind.

Dereck

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I got the Pelican 1600 case with two levels of pluck foam, which allows adjustment for height of the various accessories. I keep all my optical accessories (binoviewers, finderscopes, diagonals, filters, Barlows, Powermate and of course eyepieces in it in one handy container. Initially I had it about 3/4 filled but I soon expanded to fill every available spot. This photo predates a pair of Brandons, a Brandon 48mm and an ES 30mm 82 degree. There's about $5,000 in that case and I am not about to scrimp on protectiing that investment:

Attached Files

#6 astrogaffer

astrogaffer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Seems like Pelican is the way to go. Now I just have to decide which size case!

@MikeBOKC - Thanks so much for the photo of your set up. This was very helpful.

It seems like folks like to store diagonals in cases too. I am presently just leaving it on the OTA and packing away in either the hard case with my TV NP-101 or with the TV 76 in the soft case. Is there any reason why everyone is not doing this as well in favour of storing diagonals in cases with their eyepieces? I was originally thinking of looking for storage just for the eyepieces and perhaps a couple filters I have.

Thanks,
Don

#7 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Here is a cheaper alternative to the Pelican cases, I have the 1550 and its nice.
Adorama Flashpoint cases

#8 astrogaffer

astrogaffer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the link to the Flashpoint Cases demiles - very helpful!

#9 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I think the prejudice against leaving a diagonal in a scope during storage or transport is mostly agout avoiding potential damage. As long as it is capped there's no reason why it should be avoided. I just like having all my optical gear in one case, especially since I use the diagonal in more than one scope.

#10 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

I use separate cases for the diagonals. One is with the WO66SD, another in my former aluminium case with the SV50 finder and collimating tools. I also keep 2 grab n' go cases, a Televue Ethos case and a smaller Celestron aluminium case where I may put a diagonal and some eyepieces to conserve space and weight during a trip. I have space in my B & W for a 2" diagonal (see the link above) but it would be unusable on a trip with newtonians and I hope I'll put a couple of eyepieces there. Two eyepieces I schedule, ES80 30 and ES100 14, need a lot of space.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics