fantastic transit dec 05 2012

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 northernontario

northernontario

Apollo

• Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I noticed a missing moon last night. After a carefull and thorough look through the E.P, I could clearly see the perfect black dot on the planet's surface.

My observations continued through out the night. It was fun to note the location of the shadow through out the night.

But

The absolute coolest thing was when the transition was near complete, I could easily make out the moon in transition and it's shadow on the planet's surface. A first for me. Being able to see the moon in transition and it's shadow on the planet's surface was indeed a "hubble like" experience.

There is no shortage of amazing stuff in this hobby.

jake

#2 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hi Jake, was that the Ganymede transit? I caught some of that myself last night. It is a great thing to see both the shadow and the disc of the moon in front of Jupiter. It's a nice 3D effect. I'm always amazed that a little piece of glass allows me to see such things. :)

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

jake

Truer words are rarely said.

#4 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

jake

Truer words are rarely said.

+2

the dance of Jupiter's moons is an unending source of memorable events. welcome to our shared obsession :D

Jim

#5 JasonBurry

JasonBurry

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Spencer, NB, Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

LOL, indeed! I caught Europa in transit last night (Dec. 6), and despite 10 arcsec or worse seeing, enjoyed it immensely. You're right, I think, in the special quality a transit takes on as it begins and ends, while the moon stands in stark contrast to the planet's darkened limb. The shadow below lends a significant 3d appearance to the scene.

I'd observed for about a decade before catching my first transit, and now I've seen a couple. They rank among the most memorable sights I've observed through a telescope.

J

#6 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

The great thing about Jovian transits is that they are among the very few things we can observe through a telescope that visibly change in real time, the others being a lunar or solar eclipse and the surge of prominences on the sun in H-alpha. Beyonid that, while we know everything is in motion out there, it all appears static from night to night and often year to year or even decade to decade.

#7 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

No matter how many times I see a shadow transit I'm mesmerized each and every time.

Ed D

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

You know what's cool too are mutual events between satellites. I've never seen one moon occult another or occult but I've seen some dandy near misses. Its a premium time to compare color and brightness, size etc.
Gosh its been a long time for me.

Pete

#9 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Coolest mutual event I saw was 11/30/09 during a double transit where Ganymede partially occulted the shadow of Io as both were transiting Jupiter's disc. :D

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics