#1 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image
Jupiter, Ganymede, Callisto 12/6/12 by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

Seeing wasn't that good at the start, but got better. Problem was, when the seeing started to get really good, some low level clouds took over and forced me to pack up...darn micro-climate. Early on in the session I was also trying to image over the house and the heater kicking in didn't really help out either :).

For the animation, click on the image or link below:

Posted Image
Jupiter animation - 12/6/12 by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

#2 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Nice animation! You are right about the seeing, last night started out badly. Really I think it never was all that good, just as Jupiter got higher there was less air to wobble. The cloudy had me packing a little earlier than I wanted last night too.

#3 AlanL

AlanL

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Very nice animation and Ganymede!

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Yes, that's a nice animation zA..! :cool:

#5 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

A great animation! The seeing does look like it got really good when you had to stop. :foreheadslap: I hate when that happens...

Glenn

#6 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks all. I've decided tonight that I am going to throw caution to the wind and order one of those ASI120MC cameras. Think it is time to move up from the webcam. Hopefully the weather will clear up enough that I can get some shots of Jupiter before it disappears this time around :).

BTW....I keep forgetting to post one of my sets from last month. I just had looked at the images and they were probably some of the best images that I had captured with the webcam...not sure why I haven't posted them though.

#7 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

zAmbonii, you will not regret purchasing the ASI120MC camera! You will notice an incredible improvement in imaging if its anything like the 120MM

#8 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

I went back and did a search and saw some of the images that were taken with the ASI120MC, and have seen others like you getting fantastic images with the mono version and it looks like a winner.

With the image scale I image at with the SPC900NC, I really only have a narrow range of gain I can use before the noise and artifacts get too much. And with Saturn, I had to drop the framerate to get a longer exposure.

I had been looking at the Chameleon for a dual planetary/lunar scope, but the framerate of that was kinda turning me off.

If the sensitivity of the ASI120MC is as good as it looks, I can use it as a guidecam for some deep space stuff also. It would replace the webcam and my DSI :).

#9 Hillbrad

Hillbrad

Viking 1

• Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

Nice shots! I'm really bummed I didn't get my scope out that night. Seeing looked decent but I didn't have the time. Looks like you took advantage of it nicely though! I'll be looking forward to seeing your images with the new cam..you've always done a great job with the ol' spc900!

#10 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'll second Brad's comment, and go a bit further -- you've got more out of that webcam than anyone I know of. Just amazing what you have been able to do with it. I tried for a while with an earlier model of the Philips cam, and couldn't come close to what you get with yours. It will be interesting to see what you can do with more capable gear.

#11 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

i put in the order for the ASI120MC last night....should be here in about a week. It may be that long until we get another clear night around here :). I think I am going to pick up a crayford focuser for the c8, even though I really don't want to spend any more money...but I really feel like I am guessing on focus by using the stock focuser on the scope, just too much image shift when trying to focus that way. Plus it will give me a way to experiment a little with throwing my DSLR on the scope and trying some deep space stuff.

I'm not expecting a miracle with the new camera, I just want to get rid of a lot of the noise that I get with the webcam. If the added frames I can capture with a higher framerate gives me better images, then that is just gravy!

#12 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Wonderful! No telling what you'll be able to show us with the new camera!

Glenn

#13 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I found adding a Crayford focuser to my C11 made focusing much easier. I've also just added a computer controlled motorized unit to it, which I think is going to really make this dead simple and no waiting for the scope to quit vibrating after each tweak of focus. There is also the prospect of automating the entire image capture session with FireCapture. You might want to consider a unit that has this capability for down the road. I went with a FeatherTouch, and, while it's pricy, I have no regrets.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics