Jupiter 2012 12 07

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I have to admit that I've been inspired by the small refractor observations around here lately. With Stray's 90mm getting the full workout, and Pete's TV Ranger sketch from the other day, I couldn't help but wonder how I might fare with my improving observational skills (if I do say so myself :grin:).

How would you guess, I was on my midnight lunch break at work last night, and who knew I might have my Astro Tech 72mm ED doublet in the back seat of the car... :lol: Out came the tripod and in went the 3-6mm Nagler Zoom. Seeing was mediocre, but I try not to let that ruffle my feathers anymore. Seeing in New England is seldom great. So I've obviously come to accept that factor and move on with doing what I enjoy doing...atmosphere be damned.

At first glance I was flat out disoriented. What?!? I see the GRS, but where is the trailing thin line in the STB? Oh yeah, duh! Everything is reversed because of the star diagonal. :foreheadslap: The seeing appeared to be hold at A-III for the most part, although medium periods of turbulence would occasionally trick me into thinking I knocked my focus out. I had roughly 20 minutes to spare, and since it was 28ºF my fingers were more than agreeable with the time limit.

At any rate, I grabbed my gloves, clipboard and 5H pencil...and enjoyed the views. I was shocked by how much I could see, no doubt helped by memory of feature positions. Understanding the cloudscapes of Jove truly assists when questioning the validity of an "I-think-so" feature. What you see here is what I think I saw. :grin:

The trailing "festoon" in the NEB exhibited repeated hints of a "comma-like" tail. Additionally, both of the assumed festoons took on a decidedly saltwater green hue. I'm not sure if this coloring was produced by the warming properties of my Nagler Zoom, or the combined effect of smaller scale and residual CA from the ED doublet.

The preceding side of the NTB showed three distinct undulations or "beads" that I have definitely noted in other recent observations. Again, possibly true waves in the belt, or possibly darker regions that optically tempt the brain to resolve a false rippling effect. Either way I keep seeing them. I'm darn certain that it's something.

There appeared to be a curious shading to the trailing half of the NPR. But I believe this may be the play of angular albedo, since the sun should be now starting to hit the Jovian disk slightly more from the preceding side with reference to the Earth's position.

•72mm ED doublet refractor, 3-6mm Nagler zoom @ 72x and 86x, 5H pencil, Glacier Gloves
•Seeing Antoniadi IV-III
•Average Transparency

Posted Image

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Jason,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#3 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, Tom.

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Jason, again, you really captured the delicate colors of Jupiter nicely.

So a small refractor is best for grab'n go? :)

You could have thought you saw a river or a grove of trees, but you thought you saw something that really might have been there. Sometimes we think we see things because Jupiter gives us a hint of it, a hint of a festoon that is actually there as opposed to a grove of trees that is not (or a rabbit seen in a cloud formation. :)) Still, "trust but verify" and sketch what you see.

Gotta run, sorry for the hasty response.

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Jason - you do the 72mm proud my friend and you've defunately gotten more than I managed! Again your sketching is a stand alone approach I truly enjoy and ever so bright!!! Those festoons... wow.

Funny you had the scope at work. One of my best views of Saturn ever when the rings began to show for the first time after ting plane crossing. It was 3am hot still and humid and the planet just layer there. That spiderweb thin ring was a masterpiece. But I was at work on the clock. It was a part time weekend warehouse nightwatchman job. I was eagerly. Awaiting the return of the rings and said to hell with it I'm bringing my 8" reflector to work. It was pure ______s to set that up let me tell you. But the view the still view wow. Over fifteen years later it was well worth it. One of the BEST moments in observing Saturn. One for the books. 9/10 INDEED!!!

OK that's my experience has an illegitemately payed pro astronomer!!!

Pete

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Jason,

Glad you could grab this fine observation on your lunchtime (hope you got to eat a bite, too.

I don't think you are imagining those bumps on the north edge of the NTB--I've seen them in recent observations, too--although you perhaps exaggerated their size a little.

Great work. :)

#7 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Micheal, I agree with you that my scale might be a tad embellished. :lol: I am glad to hear you have noted their presence, though. Thanks for commenting.

#8 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Heck, Jason, even with a smaller rig you're still seeing more than I do through my 90mm.

Does having sketched the view in your larger rig help you when looking through the smaller unit? :question:

:grin:

-stray-

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Jason,

Another great looking Jupiter sketch, very nicely presented.

Frank :)

#10 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Hmmm... The AT72ED just happened to be in the back seat of the car. :whistle: Good catch on the details and subtle colors.

Ed D

#11 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Heck, Jason, even with a smaller rig you're still seeing more than I do through my 90mm.

Does having sketched the view in your larger rig help you when looking through the smaller unit? :question:

:grin:

-stray-

Undoubtedly. I also believe the repetition of observations helps. Hey, like I said, knowing where certain major features are...whether from my larger scope, or from other people's sketches here, or from astrophotographic records...it all helps. I'm thinking it helps me because I know to look for those features. When using the 72mm I never assumed I would pick up smaller ovals, or subtleties in the SPR, so I really didn't try too hard to find them. I focused on large obvious features, like festoons, barges, GRS. I kept my fingers crossed that I might pick up an oval or two. Had the seeing been better I don't doubt that it might have been possible. It's kind of like playing the piano. Each new song is a breath of discovery. But with each new song comes a revisit to the same keyboard, and knowing where those keys are becomes progressively easier with each session...or something like that. :grin:

#12 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Jason,

Another great looking Jupiter sketch, very nicely presented.

Frank :)

Thanks, Frank.

#13 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hmmm... The AT72ED just happened to be in the back seat of the car. :whistle: Good catch on the details and subtle colors.

Ed D

Yup, not sure how it got there... :whistle:

And thanks.

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

It was out cooling to ambient, of course. You wouldn't wanna store it in a heated office. Hello?

When I first started observing Jupiter, I had no idea what to expect or what could be seen: GRS, belts, sure. Those white ovals, until recently, I had no idea how small they really are. It was actually a shocker to see just how tiny that one was, on the order of that black spot trailing BA. They look easy in images, but they are tough to see.

But, yes, the more you look, the more it becomes familiar. Someone once said, once you see a feature, it becomes easier next time. There may be some truth to that. But like anything else, nothing beats grinding it out at the eyepiece. Things just don't just fall into your eye, you do have to work at it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics