Fair Price for a Nexstar 8 GPS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi All,

Looking to find one of these scopes on the used market. What do you all think a fair price is for one in good shape?

Thanks
Dan

#2 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

No real Idea...
BUT I would "guess" 60 to 70 percent of the cost of a new CPC800....

I looked and looked for a NS 11 GPS before I gave up broke down and wrote a check for a new CPC1100 .

I just think the NS GPS scopes are a better scope ...better gears no backlash problems ..

Bob G.

#3 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Bob....so do you think your 8i compliments your CPC 1100 well? Which do you use the most?

Thanks
Dan

#4 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Dan:

The CPC geys used the MOST...BY FAR !!!

But heck it is in my observatory only a short walk out the back door of the house, always aligned, and always within a degree or two of ambient Just plug in the battery and wake the sucker up

The 8i is my traveling scope ...gets used for star parties and outreach events..

The 8i spent its first 2 full years (and 100,000 miles) in the trunk of my car 24/7 the last 2 years before I retired (I traveling during the work week and was away from home...needed something to do besides sit in a bar or my hotel room watching TV ...

Bob G.
BTW..My 8i will match my CPC1100 in both GoTo accuracy as well as tracking ability..BUT it took a lot of messing around with it ..The CPC basically worked right out of the box...

#5 Darknight444

Darknight444

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

I bought one this past Christmas in prestine condition. well kept inside a beaut clark for $950. That included everything that came with it new.

#6 DrBoring

DrBoring

Sputnik

• Loc: Western Ohio

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

I assume you mean to buy or sell used gear. The price of new gear won't vary much - you would need to find a sale somewhere.

Go to the CN classifieds here, check catadioptric scopes, and search for what you are looking for. You should see a range of SOLD scopes and asking price. It would be a good start. Generally used gear is 62-75% new retail price. At much higher, there seems to be some resistance.

Used gear can have a Paypal & shipping fee, but won't have sales tax.

On Craigslist, people tend to start at ~95% retail, but have been open to negotiating.

#7 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the inputs. Found one of the last ones made. Brought it from the original owner. In pristine condition with optional (at that time) Starbraight XLT Coatings, two hand controllers (pre Meade lawsuit and post meade lawsuit), and a JMI case for $850.

These scopes are so well made, very quite drive, no cord wrap, carbon fiber tube, etc...

IMHO, used they represent one of the best values in used astrogear.

#8 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Best thing I liked about my NS8GPS and why I hunted one down over a CPC was the fact that it came with metal bearings instead of nylon. Coupled with a carbon fiber tube, it makes for one of the best astroimaging platforms you can buy at this price point. Warped nylon bearings can certainly shut down any aspirations of astrophotography.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics