New Denks and Clouds Arrived Yesterday

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

The new Standard Super System with extra parts for my Lunt solar scope arrived yesterday. As expected, it clouded up completely last night and isn't due to clear until Wednesday.

Of course, the pair of ES 68° 20mm eyepieces that I ordered when I ordered the Denks on the 26th were overlooked by the vendor and weren't shipped until yesterday. So, the clouds aren't the only problem. :bawling:

This will be my first binoviewer experience, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm gonna have to roll out the whole arsenal of scopes on the first clear afternoon/evening and give the BVs a good workout. :jump:

#2 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, CA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Grats on the Denks!! They are awesome :grin:

-James

#3 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

That darn curse.

#4 delgado39

delgado39

Vostok 1

• Loc: Glen Ellen, California

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Jim . . . Will be getting the same system too! Definitely let us know what you think when the weather breaks. Seems like clouds are the companions of new equipment.

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, I screwed up and ordered the Denks right after I bought a new Lunt solar scope and mount. I really messed up. Looking like I may get a break as early as Tuesday. Gonna be cold though.

#6 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Finally had a nice clear, steady night last night to test the Denks with my EON 120 and the ES 68° 200mm eyepieces.

My experience was probably similar to a lot of folks on their first use. First, I was convinced I was going to have to get different EPs because the barrels were too wide and I couldn't get the bridge of my nose to fit. Second, I had merging issues for the first 15 minutes or so with two Jupiters being stacked a few planet's widths away from each other. Third, I didn't balance my EON for the binos before the session, because I didn't think about it and the telescope was a bit jiggly all night.

After the first 15 minutes, I removed them and went to mono vision for almost an hour. Much better and less hassle, I thought.

Then I decided that I couldn't give up that easily, so in they went again. I removed the eyecups on the EPs and felt I had a lot more room. I also took a little more time to set the diopter correctly on my left eye than I did the first time. Aiming the scope at Jupiter, I had no more issues with merging, nor did I the rest of the evening, about 2 hours worth.

Next time out, I'm going to try the EPs with the eyecups again as I discovered I don't need to be as close as I thought I did with the ER on these eyepieces.

OK, so what did I think after the second try.

I'm hooked. I've never been able to look at a planet for more than a minute or so with one eye. Last night I could relax and observe for 5 minutes at a time and really look for details. I love the power slide, back and forth so easily with a only bit o refocus needed. How much easier is that than changing eyepieces? A lot!

At about 10:30 I turned the 120 to the Orion Nebula and from my red zone skies, looking south towards the heart of Indianapolis, I was amazed that the view I had through my unfiltered, binoed 4.7" refractor. I was stunned that the nebula could look that good through a relatively small telescope. Granted, the 120 put up a better image than I had expected, but, wow. Although I know that 3D is not possible thru a split view bino, you couldn't have convinced me of that last night.

I wandered all over the sky for a while viewing double stars, planetary nebula and open clusters and then aimed at the double cluster. With only about 3/4 of the cluster visible in my FOV, I sat for at least 15 minutes in awe at an object that I've looked at many dozens of times over the years. I really don't know how to describe what saw, so I won't even try. Let's just say, it was different. I wish I could binoview with a pair of my Paragon 40 eyepieces!

I went back to Jupiter and spent another 10 minutes with the king of planets and then back to M42 before calling it quits for the night sometime around midnight.

I'm loving my EON more and more every time I use it and I can't wait to get it out under dark skies, but the Denks add a brand new layer of enjoyment.

Next time out, the 14.5 dob will see the binoviewers. That should be loads of fun.

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Happy to hear that you gave it a more of a chance.

Regarding the merging issue... This I don't think is typical of Denkmeier units. Denkmeier takes care to ensure that the alignment is very good, and I think that it is unusual that they would have a set that would be this far out (a couple of Jupiter diameters).

Even with centering collets, I find that the eyepices don't alwasy sit in perfectly straight. If you have difficulty merging, my bet is that this is the case. The fix is simple. Back off the collet and slightly twist the eyepecie to make sure it is fully into the collet.

This last peice is important. If the barrel of the eyepecie is long and bottoms against the bino before bottoming against the collet, you need to raise the collet as many turns as it takes for it to hit the lens housing.

Also, a when you loosen the collet, try twisting the eyepiece in the holder. This again helps ensure the eyepice is settled.

And use your power before the binoviewer. Avoid eyepeices with short focal lenghts (10 to 12mm maybe?) IT is better to barlow up for planets in a short focal lenght scope than to rely on short focal lenght eyepeieces.

Anyway, glad to hear that your experience was saved by a second try, and yes it is a funny thing how the brain preceives some sense of depth.

And for planets, I have become absolutly convinced that I am seeing more than I ever have in the past. Night after night, when I binoview, I feel as if the view is just better. I think from an absolute performace issue, a sharp eyed observer using a single eyepiece might be able to see as much, but the binovier to me just makes it dead easy to see a lot of the detail.

And seeing a lot of detail on planets is to me an exercise in patience. I havce maintained on every forum at CN that it is the most important attribute for doing good planetry observing, and the binoviewers make it so relaxed that it is easy to be patient.

Enjoy and hope to hear follow-ups soon.

#8 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Even with centering collets, I find that the eyepices don't alwasy sit in perfectly straight. If you have difficulty merging, my bet is that this is the case. The fix is simple. Back off the collet and slightly twist the eyepecie to make sure it is fully into the collet.

Exactly my experience, although I've only encountered difficulty merging 2 or 3 times in the year and a half of owning Denks.
Enjoy!
-Rob

#9 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

After I had the first merging issue and I took more time to get the two eyepieces correct for each eye, the problem went away. Maybe I didn't have the EPs properly seated as you both suggested.

Hopefully is will be a rare issue. I still have to see how my wife will take to them. She didn't get to participate in the bino festival last night. They are, after all, hers. :grin:

#10 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Play with your IPD a bit too. Sometimes it is not easy to tell if you are off a bit. The eyes seem to be able to merge the black circles easier than the actual object in the field. Try moving the barrels a bit further apart or closer together if you notice horizontal seperation. Your eyes might merge the images if the IPD is off a bit, but you may find yourself having to rely on your brain to merge, but if the IPD is set just right, when you look in, the images will automatically be overlapped. So, it the seperation is on a horizontal line, and you see it go away when your eyes merge it, then your IPD is off a bit. This is assuming of course the the eyepieces are in right.

#11 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the tip, Eddgie.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics