• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: deathRay, Michigan

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Any body using one of these mounts. Can't find out much about it. No reviews any where.
I got the brochures, no reviews? It' been out since last January I think. I could be wrong about that.

Andy

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Great mount. All-in-one with a very nice polar scope routine (not quite Tak, but very easy and fairly accurate - though, when imaging, still need a little "somethin'" afterwards, of course). Handles a 15lb imaging rig very well and a 25lb visual rig with a long moment arm well as well.

Still don't have full numbers on tracking, but it guides well and accurately (for a mount in this price range), and before dialing it in (which, if it would be **** clear on Saturday -- I'm talkin' ta you Zeus! -- I'll finally get all the kinks unkinked), I can do 5 minutes guided, no sweat (granted, a 430mm FL scope, so, not real tough). I could probably get 10 so far, but didn't try. I'm going for 15 minutes on this thing when dialed in, and work from there (if possible).

It's very light (I can one-hand the mount head, granted, I'm 6'2", but I'm OLD and feeble, or, at least that's what my son says: "Get off the lawn you kids!"). I got the pier instead of the tripod, and it levels and is very solid.

As I said: it's all-in-one with GPS built in, nice HC (which warms itself, but DOES NOT make guacamole...one point against it). GREAT customer support, though there is a problem with the newest firmware's two-star-alignment, which they've almost got fixed up and onlined.

Hmm, not sure what else to say, other than, for a light GEM that's good bang for the buck, I chose the iEQ30 after much research.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Attached Files

#3 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Wow Paul,
Looks like the mount of my current dreams.
Thanks for the picture. First one i've seen in captivity.
I want to use this mount as a grab n go and this weighs about half of the nearest competion which is the Orion Sirius EQ-G GoTo.
How's it work with an autoguider?
Andy

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Andy,

It's very nice with the Lodestar and Borg 50mm guidescope I have. It's also very easy with most software, though I had terminal trouble with TheSkyX, for some reason. Might be the driver, which isn't specific to this mount (when dealing with TheSkyX). But MaxIm DL is a breeze, and TheSky6 works fine with it (though I only used that as a test).

I had the BEST time when I first got it (I'm re-submerging into amateur astronomy; first time since I was a kid), loading it up with the ES 152mm achro and zooming around finding more stuff in one hour then I would find in a week as a kid (by hand and star chart). Felt like cheating. So, great for grab-and-go...if you need an EQ mount for that (obviously, an AltAz mount might be more grabby-and-go-y). I would usually tweak the GoTo's once or twice a night for visual use, though I had one night where I had an 8.8mm ES 82 degree eyepiece in and was spot-on the whole evening.

Hope that helps,

Paul

#5 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Paul,
I only have the Orion autoguider working with a 70mm surplus bino lens.
I mean grab n go wide field imaging with a pentax 6x7 90mm on a canon 60d or modded 20d on Stellarvue 90 apo f/7.

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

That should work very well with the iEQ30 - kind of a perfect match from a FOV and weight angle.

Paul

#7 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Paul,
I guess all I have to do now is get the wife to pass judgement about buying one. Wish me luck. I'm goin' in.

Andy

#8 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Paul,
Well I told her what I want and how much it will cost and she said go for it. WOTTA woman. But she has tolerated my obsession for over thirty years now.

thanks for your input, I appreciate it,

Andy

#9 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Andy,

Sounds perfect! Can't ask for better than that!

Good luck with the mount and if ANYTHING isn't right, do get in touch with iOptron's support people - they're great. You never know when something slips through the QC cracks in China; a few little things happened on my iEQ30 (it was one of the very first) - a bolt between pier and mount didn't arrive (because I had the very first pier version), or just silly questions I had - they're there to help.

Paul

#10 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Paul,
Just ordered one thru HighPoint Scientific. $1224. Free shipping

:jump: Andy :jump: :jump:

#11 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Cool! Take pics when it arrives!

Paul

#12 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

better choice than the Sirius, unless you really love EQMOD.

William Optics is selling this as a bundle with one of their refractors. They say the periodic error is 14" which is pretty darn good.

#13 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

For the light load I'll be putting on it sounds like the perfect mount for me. Light weight and good tracking.
Can't touch this except for a lot more $ and weight. The only other goto mount I have is the AP1200 goto3 in the observatory. I've downloaded the pdf 44 page owners manual.
These iE30's will be flying off the shelves when Comet ISON shows up next December.
Andy

#14 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Andy - ain't an AP, but I think you'll find it does what you need it to, and is LIGHT.

There are a few people that have put up some good "mod" ideas for the iEQ45's, and I've been meaning to try them on the iEQ30 (rounding the ends of the Az bolts, etc.). Might be worthwhile to search those for ideas.

Paul

#15 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Paul,
But it kind of looks like Optron copied AP's design and scaled it down. It's a good design after all.
I'll be looking for some worth while minor mods. I just joined on a yahoo optron site. Most of the latest posts are about the iEQ45 but pretty much the same mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics