At10in on Mach1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Has anyone used the At10in on a Mach1? I know that my NJP can probably carry two of those at the same time, however I was wondering about the Mach1. Seems to be at... or beyond? the limit of the Mach1.

#2 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I was considering it (AT 10" f/4) but abandoned the idea and went another direction with my imaging - to widefield with tiny scopes. My heavy load imaging with the Mach1 so far has not exceeded 35-40lbs (~guesstimate~ tec160ed + orion ed80T + 8300M/CF8 + SSAG +rings and DTP's) and was able to go 20min subs repeatably / reliably. This with 4 cw's at end of the stock cw bar... and also should mention atop a hefty concrete pier (which I believe makes a difference).

I mention all this as it's long scope weight (triplet cell is heavy and well off center) compared to a R/C or SCt type tube, and it worked flawlessly. I remember thinking... ok so this is why I paid all that $$ ! Don't know if I'd have had the same comfort level using a tripod.

According to the AT spec(~30lbs) and A-P spec(~45lbs) you have some room for rings and the rest, I'd be very interested in if it would be practical and work out. I'm not aware of anyone else imaging with the Mach1 at the heavy load I sometimes use that posts here so hope you don't mind my posting in.

#3 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi Jim,
That's great info thanks! Please post all you want.
So far I have imaged with the TOA130 and the Mach1. The scope with all the imaging stuff, rings etc....weights 34 lbs.
I am more and more getting interested in fast Newtonians. I might just get the at10in and give it a try.
In the meantime I will be experimenting with a borrowed at6in which is obviously trivial load for the Mach1.

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Andy... have to admit the Mach1 'looks' almost comically small under the TEC160ED (that I mean with respect to what the mount can actually do with it), can only imagine with that AT10" atop. I've been considering a fast newt for a long while now, I see Astronomics is out of stock on these, hard to pass up considering the price.

#5 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well I acquired an almost mint at10in locally. The price was too low to pass it up. It's really big!
Even the NJP looks small under it! As soon as we get clear skies I will try it and see how it performs.
I will most certainly stick with the NJP tho.
I think eventually I will trade it for an 8" which is definitely more manageable.
Given that i'm used to f7.7 the f4 ratio should make a huge difference

#6 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think your mount can handle it, if you can. It's right around the same weight class as the C11, but with half the FL.

I had a conversation with Howard at NEAF and he said it would take a C11 no problem.

#7 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the input Adam. I was digging around the Yahoo AP GTO group and Roland said that the Mach1 can actually carry the 12" f4 which is a monster. So it looks like the 10" should work on the Mach1 which is way more portable than the NJP. I guess I will have to set the Rob Miller tripod very low for max stability.....now if only the permanent NW clouds went away!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics