• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert70

Robert70

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Garden State: NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

A Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Microfocuser for an 8" Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain? I posted this in the Equipment forum as well. Easy to install? My current focuser, OEM, leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks.

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Assuming that you are talking about the SCT version that replaces the stock focus knob, I have one on my Celestron 8".

It is a huge improvement over the stock one (although mine is not an Edge HD and I've heard the stock focusers on those are pretty good). It has both coarse and fine focus and is buttery smooth.

I did the installation about 12 years ago, but I remember that it was very easy to do. I suspect that the Meade would be the same.

It is a nice upgrade.

#3 rfr66

rfr66

Sputnik

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have the Meade version of the Feather touch micro focuser on my LS8. It was the best thing I ever did. It is buttery smooth and the fine adjustment is the key to dialing in perfect focus. It also lowers the amount of tube shake substantially while focusing since you only need a "feather touch" to adjust it. My focuser needed a modification to fit on my scope since the base of the focuser was too large and was hitting the scope body. The installation is extremely easy. You just remove the three screws from the base then slide the stock focuser off of the shaft and then replace with the new one. Nothing to it. Go for it. It will greatly increase your pleasure under the stars.

Richard

#4 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

I have a Feather Touch on a Meade LX200 12". I really like it. Very smooth operation and the coarse/fine knobs make it easier to fast focus and then fine tune the image. It was easy to install. The directions are actually more daunting than the actual act of installing it. Three screws, a slight twist and it's installed.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics