APM 152 ED APO #002

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#26 Ambiorix

Ambiorix

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Good looking scope James, good luck with it!

I can't help to give a few remarks:

-Markus, the total weight of the scope is almost doubled to what you promised in the first place.

-On a refractor a focuser with only 6cm travel is not very......well....fill in whatever you want:)

-When I asked why the case was not a couple of inches longer to fit the scope, diagonal attached to it, you told me people preffered the shorter case for the tube only. You did not mention that the tube is so short that, according to James' pictures anyway, a very long extension is needed to reach focus, even with a big 2" diagonal! Not good if it is the case! And please, Markus, do not come telling me that people prefer a short tube with an extension one mile long hanging behind it:) Now I understand why the case is so short:) Once again, at least if the configuration in James' pictures is indeed correct and the extension is really needed, otherwise, no problems with this issue....

I think optically and for the rest it will be fine.

#27 ryderc1

ryderc1

Ranger 4

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Is the dewshield retractable? If yes, it appears that it's necessary to remove the rings in order to retract it since it looks like the scope is very nose heavy and needs the rings to be very far forward on the OTA to balance/mount the scope.

#28 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

James,

Beautiful! I admired that scope there in Tucson, but it never occurred to me to ask Markus if it was for Sale! :foreheadslap: I could have bought it and saved shipping because we drove down from Phoenix. My loss is your gain! It looks like it is in a good home.

As far as the comment about weight, I thought Markus initially said it would weigh 16 pounds and has gone up to 22 pounds (not quite twice as much as someone commented). Still it's a pretty light scope for a 6" (the Explore Scientific 5" triplet weights 22 pounds and the 6" definitely tops that!).

My almost exclusive use for the scope would be solar and I'm wondering how attaching a Herschel Wedge, 3x barlow and a webcam would affect focus based on the focusing tube length. Of course I would probably replace the focuser with an electric focuser.

Again, congratulations!!!
Paul

#29 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

James,

Thanks for the fantastic post and image documentation, very much appeciated here. How does the scope feel as far as weight balance and distribution? Will patiently await your visual report though I anticipate a very positive experience there.

Congratulations, and again thank you.

#30 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm surprised that with a doublet objective, the scope is still so front heavy. Or is perhaps the dewshield not extended in those last two images?

Hi Mark...

Yes... When I received the new scope, after I set it up for my own test at home, I did not extend the dew shield, and that is the balance point, which is at the centre of the losmandy dovetail....

Only yesterday when Steve asked me whether the dew shield is retractable, then I extend it, and dovetail need to move forward almost an inch to balance the scope...

And during last night side walk, I extended the dew shield as there are plenty of lamp post around the observing place...(pls refer to following photo , which shows the fully photo of the extended dew shield)

Regards

James Ling
Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#31 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Wonderful set of photos.
Goodluck with your new scope.

Hi Bro...

Thanks for your comments....

Yes... Last night, the 1st outdoor 1st light for this 152 APM ED APO, really again never disappoint both the crowds and everyone present....

This photo taken last night shows the APM ED APO stands out with the apartment right behind it....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#32 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Great pictures! Thats is a huge scope.

#33 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Good looking scope James, good luck with it!

I can't help to give a few remarks:

-Markus, the total weight of the scope is almost doubled to what you promised in the first place.

-On a refractor a focuser with only 6cm travel is not very......well....fill in whatever you want:)

-When I asked why the case was not a couple of inches longer to fit the scope, diagonal attached to it, you told me people preffered the shorter case for the tube only. You did not mention that the tube is so short that, according to James' pictures anyway, a very long extension is needed to reach focus, even with a big 2" diagonal! Not good if it is the case! And please, Markus, do not come telling me that people prefer a short tube with an extension one mile long hanging behind it:) Now I understand why the case is so short:) Once again, at least if the configuration in James' pictures is indeed correct and the extension is really needed, otherwise, no problems with this issue....

I think optically and for the rest it will be fine.

Hi Bro....

I need to clarify one important point here...
The focuser sent to me is not the exact one , for anyone who has placed the order for this new 152 APM ED APO.

APM replaces me with their APM focuser and an extension tube, as the 1st sample is sent to them without the exact focuser...
Perhaps Markus should explain again what will be the exact type of focuser for those who has placed their order...

As for the case, last night, when I loaded it into my saloon car, for the side walk, it took up the whole of the rear passenger car seat...
And for me, I still prefer this length, for my own convenient...especially on the transportation using car.

Regards

James Ling

#34 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

James,

Beautiful! I admired that scope there in Tucson, but it never occurred to me to ask Markus if it was for Sale! :foreheadslap: I could have bought it and saved shipping because we drove down from Phoenix. My loss is your gain! It looks like it is in a good home.

As far as the comment about weight, I thought Markus initially said it would weigh 16 pounds and has gone up to 22 pounds (not quite twice as much as someone commented). Still it's a pretty light scope for a 6" (the Explore Scientific 5" triplet weights 22 pounds and the 6" definitely tops that!).

My almost exclusive use for the scope would be solar and I'm wondering how attaching a Herschel Wedge, 3x barlow and a webcam would affect focus based on the focusing tube length. Of course I would probably replace the focuser with an electric focuser.

Again, congratulations!!!
Paul

Hi Paul...

Thanks for your comments...
And I should say I am very lucky as many people did not know that this scope at Tuscon Astronomy Show is for sale....
Otherwise I will need to wait until early March 2013 for the delivery of the scope that I have placed the order...

As for the weight of this OTA, I am quite happy with it, as is still consider very much lighter than most of my bigger aperture scope...

And you also mentioned that the weight is similar to the ES 5" triplet, really surprised me, coz last night, one of our team member has brought this scope along and put side by side with this 152 APM ED APO, is so much smaller and shorter (FL less than 1000mm)....(pls refer to photo taken towards end of our side walk session)
In fact we are commenting on the case provided by the two scope manufacturers....and mine seems to be the better quality....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#35 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Your outreach site is like mine,very heavily light polluted but as I only target moon & bright planets it doesn't make too much difference.
Great work you're doing there!
I bet the public were amazed looking through them.
Did the seeing let you use the full aperture?

#36 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

James,

Thanks for the fantastic post and image documentation, very much appeciated here. How does the scope feel as far as weight balance and distribution? Will patiently await your visual report though I anticipate a very positive experience there.

Congratulations, and again thank you.

Hi Bro....

Looks like many people in CN is concerned about the weight distribution of this new OTA...
And after one day experience of using it, I can only make the following comments:-

1. Yes, the weight of the lens cell is quite heavy, and even with the mounting rings being moved very close towards the counter cell assembly, you can feel the tilting of the scope when you carry it using the carry handle...

2. If you want to remove the OTA from the mount, is best to have the diagonal, eye piece and finder still mounted on the focuser, otherwise, due to this imbalance, you may drop the scope if you could not catch it on time....

Regards

James Ling

#37 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Beautiful scope James.
How about a couple of comments on it's performance.
We all want to know how did Jupiter look?
Are you impressed with the images?

Steve

#38 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Is the dewshield retractable? If yes, it appears that it's necessary to remove the rings in order to retract it since it looks like the scope is very nose heavy and needs the rings to be very far forward on the OTA to balance/mount the scope.

Hi Bro...

Yes, this scope can be classified as nose heavy, as far as I come to know about this important aspect that many people are looking at...
The mounting ring position that APM set for me , during the delivery, is very close to the dew shield when it is retracted fully backwards or in home position...
And this position is just nice when you add in the 2 inch diagonal, finder, and eye piece....

As such there is no requirement to move the mounting rings further up, when the dew shield is pushed forward...
The balancing is at the dovetail, which is around 12 inches long, or 6 inches from central point, and I only offset about one inch away for the balancing for the tilting of the OTA....

Regards

James Ling

#39 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Great pictures! Thats is a huge scope.

Hi Bro...

Thanks for your comment..
I only took a few photo shots during my little break for last night side walk...

Is non stop from 8pm till 11.30pm....whereby people anxiously wanted to see how Jupiter looks like in this big scope....

Regards

James Ling

#40 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Your outreach site is like mine,very heavily light polluted but as I only target moon & bright planets it doesn't make too much difference.
Great work you're doing there!
I bet the public were amazed looking through them.
Did the seeing let you use the full aperture?

Hi bro...

Yes, the public are so excited when we are here......
Last night, unlike previously, we only have a few scopes, and the queue is so long....
And this time, we have more than 7 or 8 scopes, so the crowds are now spread around.....between all the scopes...
Although the weather is a bit cloudy, but there are many moments of clear patch of sky, and we are able to let the public see Jupiter and its 4 moons clearly.....

REgards

James Ling

#41 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Beautiful scope James.
How about a couple of comments on it's performance.
We all want to know how did Jupiter look?
Are you impressed with the images?

Steve

Hi Steve...

Thanks for your comment...

Hi Steve and All....

As I only use this new scope twice, since I receive it....
This is my little comments on its performance....

1. On the 1st night after I assembled the scope at home, and use it , I only seen M45 and Jupiter, around 3am....
Using the baader zoom ep at 24mm, at 50X, the M45 star field is so much different from what I have seen with any other scopes... the contrast and sharpness of the stars, are so well defined, and that I really want to put this scope for coming February 2013 oversea star gazing activities...
When around 3.30am, Jupiter is visible through my window, I tested it with both the baader zoom ep at 8mm or 150X, and my 4mm ep at 300X, both can distinguish GRS clearly.
I tried higher magnification, and the image start breaking down....

2. On last night side walk, the 152 APM ED APO only shows Jupiter, for nearly 4 hours of non stop queuing....
During the 1st 2 hours, when Jupiter is lower than 45 deg, I only able to use 150X power , to get a sharp image ....
But once Jupiter is high up above 60 deg, I add another 2X barlow to the baader zoom, and increase it to around 250X..., and still get a sharp and crisp image of jupiter...
and its 4 moons are disc like object....

When come to 11pm, when Jupiter is near to overhead, and this is the time whereby the crowds are left with a few , we can really seriously look at Jupiter, and the comment from everyone of us, is indeed FANTASTIC VIEW WE HAVE SEEN HERE SINCE OUR SIDE WALK....
Is almost like total absence of CA, as the edges of jupiter is very crisp....
The view is so sharp , that we put up the bino viewer, and really as what I have read in CN, Jupiter seems become 3D...
As clouds roll in around midnight, as such we did not continue to test it with higher power, and the max power we achieved tonight with such a high contrast is 250X ....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#42 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Is almost like total absence of CA, as the edges of jupiter is very crisp....
The view is so sharp , that we put up the bino viewer, and really as what I have read in CN, Jupiter seems become 3D...
As clouds roll in around midnight, as such we did not continue to test it with higher power, and the max power we achieved tonight with such a high contrast is 250X ....

Regards

James Ling

Excellent report James!
Just what we all wanted to hear.
Congratulations on your fine Apochromat.

Steve

#43 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

You're responding to people's comments with great answers and detail.
Everyone is very much appreciating your time answering them.
Top Man!

I wish I was built like Hulk Hogan so I could use one of these scopes.

#44 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Very nice scope. How long is the scope case? The case for my APM 130/1200 just fits in the back seat.

#45 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Top Man!

+1 :bow:

#46 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Top Man!

+2 :bow:

#47 GHarris

GHarris

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

The telescope maker is answering some of the questions posed here, over in the Vendors forum. He isn't allowed to post in the Refractors section since he is the seller.

(I presume I'm not doing anything wrong by pointing this out!)

#48 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

James, does the binoviewer come to focus without an OCA? i assume it does if you remove the extension tube?

#49 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Very nice scope. How long is the scope case? The case for my APM 130/1200 just fits in the back seat.

Hi Bro...

Sorry for the late reply, as I slept at 4am, after my last forum reply (I am 12 to 13 hrs ahead of USA timing)

The length of the case is 115cm or 45 inches..

Since both our scopes are 1200mm focal length, your case could be either the same , or slightly longer...

Regards

James Ling

#50 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Top Man!

+2 :bow:

Hi All....

Really thank you so much for all your comments, and this will greatly motivate me to evaluate further on this new 152 APM ED APO performance, before anyone receiving their production unit which will be in early March...

The next scope to scope comparison will be ...

Against my friend, Richard's APM 152 triplet APO, which I have personally seen Jupiter through his scope , 2 years ago....

Regards

James Ling

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics