• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#126 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi All....

Although jupiter is not vey bright , with layer of clouds covering it occasionally, but we still able to get some clear views when jupiter is visible...

This photo showing me doing the visual viewing of Jupiter through the APM ED APO....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#127 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hi All...

Here is another photo showing me viewing through the ES 127 triplet.....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#128 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hi All....

Tonight, we did not setup the edge C8, as well as the APM triplet, simply due to the weather condition is no good, as compared to last Tuesday night...., as well as the time limitation we have....

We only wanted to re-address the reddish speck of CA that is visible from Jupiter moons as seen on last Tuesday night...

Tonight, due to the weather condition , the magnification we can achieve from both scopes on Jupiter before it starts to breakdown is only around 200X..., on most of the time...

The ES is using a 2X barlow and an 8.8mm ep, giving it 215X,
while the APM ED APO is using the 2X barlow and the baader zoom , but not at 8mm, instead at closer to 12mm..., giving around 200X...

This time, we can confirmed the disc of Jupiter moon is solid, and no more reddish speck of CA is visible from the APM ED APO....

So we know that this APM ED APO will not show the Jupiter moons with reddish speck of CA if it is power below 300..., which is also why I didn't notice it during the 1st outdoor 1st light, as well as tonight, since on both occasions I couldn't push the APM ED APO above 300X...

Richard has brought his set of prism diagonal, but due to the weather condition, and we didn't see the CA on the Jupiter moons surface, after it is being setup, for a brief moment of viewing, it is removed....

As for tonight's comparison made between the 5" ES triplet and the 6" APM ED APO, due to the weather condition, it seems that at 200X for both scopes, the ES has the advantage due to its smaller aperture, as the APM is much brighter....(with around 30% more area)

But on the 1st outdoor shoot out , the ES127 ( not this one ) is also powered to around 200X, but the APM ED APO is powered between 250X to 300X, and there don't seem to have much difference in the contrast detail on Jupiter surface....

I would say tonight is still not conclusive ,as we also didn't have the chance to use the CCD camera that we wanted to....simply we know the weather condition will not give good result....

We will do it another night, perhaps on a Friday night, so that we can have more time , to do the shoot out again....

REgards

James Ling

#129 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Are you observing with that bright light on?

#130 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

When observing planets, that amount of light doesn't harm observations. I often observe the planets with my outdoor lights on. Makes things a lot easier.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#131 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

• Loc: massachusetts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ive found that observing Jupiter with that amount of ambient light is actually beneficial. Youre better off not getting dark adapted. My best views of Jupiter have been in daylight, at dawn.

#132 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Are you observing with that bright light on?

Hi Ray..

Sorry for the late reply, as after my last posting, I went to sleep for about 4 hours then woke up and set off to work oversea...

As now is evening time , in this country, then I can have some time to do posting in the forum before leaving home from my workplace...

What you have seen from the photo is also partly for photo taking purpose, although we can still see Jupiter under this type of lighting condition....

My friend has 2 sets of lighting....
One is the red type , and this is the normal white / warm light type....

But we still prefer to switch off all the lights at the roof top, and enjoy the night sky.....

I found this place , very ideal to do both visual and photo for astronomy although is not very dark, due to surrounding street lamps...

Will plan more future scope testing here at my friend's roof top....whenever I have the time....

Regards

James Ling

#133 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Last night I got my first ever show transit on Jupiter (of Io in this case) through my local friend Jon H's LX90 8" ACF. The shadow of Io was a pretty black very good contrast spot against the disc of Jupiter, very easy to see, and with detail within the cloud bands, very pleasing.

Even at only 250x with my 8mm Radian that we were using I could see fairly easily that the collimation was slightly off. I can't get up the confidence to go messing with the collimation yet (and it's not my scope, I just align it and set it all up for him - Jon is 91).

I am starting to find the standing up all the time to be rather tiring and not very satisfactory ('scope is at lowest tripod setting, and is on a 4" tall tri-legged scope trolley from JMI), I think it's about time we got an observing chair which goes high enough to see from LOL.

When I'm using my 4" Meade SN102 it's very comfortable since I'm sitting down all the time on a chair or on a 6" tall padded step stool.

Also I note that the views of large clusters like M45, M44 are spectacular, but narrow field (can't see the whole cluster at once) which really annoys me, compared to the 4"
Meade SN102 that I have where I see the whole of M45 and a whole lot more besides with the same 32mm Plossl ep.

Thus it has become obvious to me that we could really make darn good use of a TeleVue 55mm Plossl and a Baader 2" Erecting prism and get the whole of M45 in the field of view, plus it being the correct way round LOL.

Anyway I wondered how much detail I would see on Jupiter in comparison to the 6" semi Apo? I'd be interested to hear the result of your 'scope shoot-out.

BTW Jupiter had a red tinge on the left edge and a blue tinge on the right edge of the disc through the 8" ACF when it was at maybe 40 degrees altitude.

Also I noted that the view through my 32mm TV Plossl was only sharp out to 90 per cent with the ACF 8" (I tested using the shadow of Io on the disc of Jupiter).

Finally, the Star Test on this 'scope is pretty good but not perfect. But then the prism diagonal which we are using may be showing some Spherical over correction (so I read) so I'm going to re-test using my visual back and star diagonal from my SN102 (which is definitely a mirror one, I stuck my finger though it to test!) and see what I get on Jon's 8" ACF. I can tell that Jon's diagonal is a prism type since I could see what I believe was the prism top surface when I shone a very bright light down into the diagonal.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#134 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Alistair G.

Nice report.....

Yes, this coming Saturday weekend, which is again depending on weather condition, a few of my friends are going to gather at the same house roofing to try our scope to scope shootout....

Alfred will line up both his C8 edge HD and the 8RC for the shootout against the APM ED APO....

Of course we may have other scopes available for the shootout, but we only intend to do a 3 to 4 hours, starting from 6.30pm till 10.30pm....

I really hoipe this weekend the weather turns out good , at least same as the one when both Richard and myself did for the 2 APM shootout...

REgards

James Ling

#135 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hey Alistair, great to hear your friend is still interested in looking at the sky at 91 yrs old :gramps:

You should take a crack at collimating his scope - don't think it'll be that bad. The red and blue opposing limbs on Jupiter is most likely due to atmospheric refraction. Of course we need our atmosphere, but wouldn't I love a machine that could create a column of still air over my scope.

I love seated astronomy too. It allows me to fully engage my mind at the eyepiece when I'm not worried about balancing on my feet. :)

I'm enjoying the shootout James and Richard. :waytogo:

#136 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hey Alistair, great to hear your friend is still interested in looking at the sky at 91 yrs old :gramps:

You should take a crack at collimating his scope - don't think it'll be that bad. The red and blue opposing limbs on Jupiter is most likely due to atmospheric refraction. Of course we need our atmosphere, but wouldn't I love a machine that could create a column of still air over my scope.

I love seated astronomy too. It allows me to fully engage my mind at the eyepiece when I'm not worried about balancing on my feet. :)

I'm enjoying the shootout James and Richard. :waytogo:

Jon (the soon to be 92 year old) ironically sees better than me in some respects - he has had his fluid in his eyeballs replaced with synthetic fluid, and his eye lenses replaced with artificial plastic rigid lenses. So although he has NO accomodation at all for focussing in his eye, he doesn't wear glasses whilst observing and always sees pinpoints in his 32mm Relevation or my 32mm TeleVue Plossl, even with a 4mm exit pupil in the Meade SN102 (100mm aperture divided by 24x magnification) (or with a smaller exit pupil on the LX90) on M45 for example.

However the odd thing is that he could not see the Polar Cap on Mars in very good seeing when Mars was at it's last Opposition through the 8mm Radian in the 8" LX90 at 250x, even though it was quite obvious to me. He could only just about see the dark markings on the surface of Mars though, which however were also fairly easy to see I thought when I looked.

Some of this may be down to Jon having 1.00 Diopter of astig. in his left (observing) eye. Which is odd, I don't understand how you can have astig. in a supposedly perfect replacement plastic lens? :confused: Any Opthalmic Opticians out there care to inform me as to why?

I am 38 but unfortunately I have severe Astigmatism (3.0 Diopters :bawling: ) in my observing (right) eye, which has probably gone worse again now 3 years after my last eye test. Although I still have sharper eyesight with my glasses on than all of my friends and family. My left eye is 3.5 Diopters of Astig.!

As a result of my astig. I see distinct crosses on nearly every star in the FOV of the 32mm TV Plossl when I have my glasses on! That sucks. It's not the ep's fault though, it's my eyes. TV ep's are 100 per cent quality controlled (they have a guy who tests them individually, I know from an article where they visited the "factory" in NY).

Jon doesn't like the cold one bit, so he wants to get a camera that can image faint objects (so forget webcams unless you can do intricate soldering to surface mount components, and forget D-SLR's with Live View that have no control over shutter in this mode so can only image planets and the Moon, I know since I asked several owners of them) and that can be used remotely (so Jon can stay in the warm house) and where Jon can have a "live" view. So basically I told him there's only really one game in town - Mallincam.

So I told him it's a 100 USD non-refundable deposit, a 6 week wait, and 1499 USD (approx 960 GBP, 1160 GBP when you add VAT at 20 per cent and Clearance Fee and postage) and can only be ordered from Jack's Astro, so import only, to get a 0.5 Megapixel camera, 20x more blurred than his own Sony T500 camera! I like the pictures I see on NightSkiesNetwork but I don't like the pixellated blocky stars...

I also let him know about the new Mallincam Universe camera with 6MP that can have a very long (999 minutes I think it was) integration time just like mallincam and remote control and live view etc. which is a bit more money. Astrogate (Chris in Canada) on NSN apparently has one (so I was told) so we're just waiting until we see it on NSN being used "Live" and then he'll probably buy one.

Personally though I'm almost dreading it in some ways as muggins here will have to set it up and be out in the cold whilst he gets to enjoy the pictures indoors in the warm. I am a visual astronomer (eyeball only), I'm not keen on cameras, I want to see the objects with my own eyes. However seeing those nebulas and galaxies with a UHC filter even from here with the light polluted mag. 4.8 ish skies is an interesting thought.

BTW here are the skies I am dealing with where I live (about 1 mile or so from Jon's, he is in Billinge, St.Helens, and I am in Hillbrae Avenue, St.Helens, England) ;-

https://picasaweb.go...FromStHelens...

...which reminds me, why does no one mention the Elephant-In-The-Room (the horrendous light pollution) on StarGazing Live (that's on tonight) or Sky At Night?! BTW to catch these shows, check out http://thebox.bz

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#137 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Alistair G.

Nice report.....

Yes, this coming Saturday weekend, which is again depending on weather condition, a few of my friends are going to gather at the same house roofing to try our scope to scope shootout....

Alfred will line up both his C8 edge HD and the 8RC for the shootout against the APM ED APO....

Of course we may have other scopes available for the shootout, but we only intend to do a 3 to 4 hours, starting from 6.30pm till 10.30pm....

I really hoipe this weekend the weather turns out good , at least same as the one when both Richard and myself did for the 2 APM shootout...

REgards

James Ling

Here is a picture of our setup, in fact Jupiter observing has only been possible for the last 3 1/2 weeks (it was cloudy for 3 of them though!) since it took me 18 months after Jon bought the 'scope to persuade him to buy the Single Channel Dual Output Hitec Astro dew heater controller and the 8" Dew Not heater strip (which is just a tad too short in actual heating section but still goes around the corrector end of the tube just fine LOL), so for 3 out of 4 nights the optics on the LX90 were fogged over in the last 18 months, during which time I went up to his house maybe 15 times or more, otherwise I would have been up there more often.

And then the darn thing still fogged over the last night but one that I was there, because I didn't realise you need a Dew Shield as well on really bad nights for dew (90+ per cent Relative Humidity), and we get bad nights fairly often unfortunately.

I tried talking Jon into buying a commercial flexible dew shield but was unable to, so I went to the local Tesco supermarket and got a Lenor brand fabric softner cardboard box for free, and held it in place with Jon's belt (!). Here are some pictures of the "Lenor" (LOL) Dew Shield and the 8" LX90 ;-

https://picasaweb.go...90BillingeUK...

It uses a trouser belt with an extra hole punched into it to hold the Dew Shield on. Getting it on and off is, perhaps suprisingly, a one man operation, I found. Yes it's me (muggins LOL) who does the setup of the dew shield and the alignment LOL...

Even in 97 per cent humidity with thick fog on Martindale Road down the hill (as I found when I drove there and also when I drove home again), it is still dew / fog free on the optics, when the Dew Not dew heater is on full power.

Even though the cardboard is quite damp afterwards, it's
still intact well enough, and after a day's drying out indoors in a warm place, should be fine again for another night. I'd say that's a total success, for almost no cost.

We run separate power for dew heater to prevent switching spikes and damage to the 'scope electronics. Everything is on mains power at the moment. Anti Cord Wrap is turned ON.

Apparently the 2500mAh NiMH D cells that you can buy and put into the fork arms of the LX90 stay working fine for a couple of nights of use. That is also the case with the Duracell 2000mAh "Stay Charged" AA cells that I use in the SN102, great cells. I use the Vapex 1/2 hour charger WITH auto FAN cooling for the AA cells.

I just got told that "Park Scope" is what I should be leaving it in when we've finished observing (not Sleep scope as I was doing), and you then switch off the 'scope and remove the handset and take the handset indoors to stop the LCD display from going blank (still illuminated red, just nothing on it) like it does sometimes when you come to switch it on in very cold conditions (after it's been stored outside under a cover, with handset still attached like Jon's was), so I was told. Although I never had that blanking happen on the AudioStar on my SN102 but it's stored indoors. All you have to do when you want to observe again is then reconnect the handset and then switch the LX90 on again and it's already remembered it's alignment, which is very nice, and it gets the date / time / location from it's GPS.

BTW the AudioStar handset from our 6 month old SN102's (both of us have one) works great with the LX90 as long as you choose Telescope Type as LX90 8" not StarNavigator 102, and do a "Callibrate Motors", Goto's and tracking were just fine after an "easy" alignment using True North (Polaris) and levelling of the tube with the bubble level / compass thingy and a 2 star alignment (I always make sure the top of the tripod (i.e. top of the fork arm base) is level first, if the 'scope has been moved).

Jon ruined the original #497 AutoStar handset to a fair extent by breaking the little red translucent cover off the top of the handset (how the heck he did that I don't know, maybe he dropped it) and then there was heavy rain and he said over the phone that there was water literally pouring out of the handset :shocked: (not my doing). However when dried out it worked OK, just that the right hand segment ("bulge") of LCD illuminator didn't work, only the left hand one, but we could still read the display OK, Oh yeah and the map reading illuminator was dead as well, but the 'scope still was able to work fine.

Anyway when we wanted to see the shadow transit of Io the other night, when we came to switch on, the LCD display was completely blank on the AutoStar handset. Red colored, i.e. lit up. But blank.

So I tried swapping the cord (handset to 'scope) end for end, which didn't help.
Then gave up. Now the handset is drying out indoors (only been in dew this time, not actually rain, since cover was on).

Maybe the handset will work again when it's dried out. Thanks goodness we have 2 "backup handsets"!

Can't wait to hear how it turns out with the 'scope shootout 6" semi-Apo versus 8" with large Central Obstruction (34 per cent in our case I seem to remember on the 8" ACF) but well collimated in your case, hopefully! Should be rather interesting!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#138 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

Alistair G.

After reading your post, then I realized how lucky I am living at equatorial region ( 1 deg N ), without facing those problems... except dew after midnight....
Hope your handset is alright after drying it again....

Hi ALL...

As now is 2 hours away from tonight's shootout.
The weather seems getting better as this morning is really bad.....
And Alfred already started to setup the C8 edge HD and the 8RC, while another mount is also ready for me, just to bring along my 152 APM ED APO and mounted onto it....

Attached photo shows 3 scopes are all ready, with the 10" Meade on standby ......and all these are not Alfred's only collection, as the C11 edge is not being displayed...in this photo...

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#139 mblack

mblack

Throw me a bone here

• Loc: south Florida, USA.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Hi James,

Interested in how this comparison comes off, as many of us on CloudyNights have viewed through excellent samples of Meade and Celestron catadioptric scopes.

Best of luck with those pesky clouds :>

#140 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Alistair G.

After reading your post, then I realized how lucky I am living at equatorial region ( 1 deg N ), without facing those problems... except dew after midnight....
Hope your handset is alright after drying it again....

Hi ALL...

As now is 2 hours away from tonight's shootout.
The weather seems getting better as this morning is really bad.....
And Alfred already started to setup the C8 edge HD and the 8RC, while another mount is also ready for me, just to bring along my 152 APM ED APO and mounted onto it....

Attached photo shows 3 scopes are all ready, with the 10" Meade on standby ......and all these are not Alfred's only collection, as the C11 edge is not being displayed...in this photo...

Regards

James Ling

Wow look at all those lovely CAT's :D. I have a StarBright (non-XLT, non-edge) C11 with a "perfect" Star Test that I bought from a bloke in Skelmersdale a few miles North of here a while ago (he was changing to a fork mounted C11) but I ran out of money a while back to be able to supply it with a mount (!). And now I am a peasant (poor) LOL.

The C11 OTA is fairly lightweight for what it is (27 pounds if I remember right,about 12Kg), but it's still a bit heavy for lifting to chest height to put it on an e.g. EQ6. I also just saw the size of the EQ6 in the Stargazing Live BBC programme the other night and found it rather intimidating.

Can you get away with putting a C11 on a HEQ5 successfully and have damping times of just about 2 seconds or so? :confused: If so I'll buy one when I get some money together.

One day I'll also get up the confidence to take the cast iron 15 pound iron disc out of my Meade 7" Mak OTA (ex-LX50, removed from the fork mount) that I got for peanuts (100 quid / GBP) and put it on a maybe HEQ5, it feels heavier to lift than the C11 at the moment.

Forgot to mention, in those pictures above that I posted you can also see the muck on Jon's 8" LX90 corrector plate (from it being left outdoors permanently, albeit under a cover) and the muck on the primary :bawling:.

PLUS this horrendous blue clouding, looking like mould! :shocked:, which was only on the primary, which seemed to be caused by humid air inside the tube, which seemed to
appear after about 3/4 hour and then dissipate slowly later on. I had never noticed that blue clouding on the primary before.

At least the images through the 'scope seem to be unaffected though.

This muck and water marks were due to Jon not having any anti-dew equipment and thus evey time we went to put the covers back on the darn optics were covered in dew and we didn't want to put the end cap on to cover the corrector and then have mold growing in there, but there is dirt all over the primary and corrector, nevertheless. If only Jon had listened to me about the dew shield / heater 18 months ago, we could have had clean optics all the time...

Oh yes and the finder objective and finder eyepiece were filthy (and fogged over to boot). So I cleaned them and then they fogged over 3 more times during our observing session, which was a pity (I just got curious to look through the finder now and again to assess the quality of the finder, something I had not bothered to do before, and noticed that the finder has gross astigmatism, the oval pattern didn't rotate with my head. Which is bad).

From memory it's an Antares right angle finder. It's an illuminated one with double crosshairs and box in the centre (which is VERY useful). I would actually have preferred a straight though illuminated finder, but Jon has neck pains...but then again it's muggins here that aligns it for him, always. He can't seem to get around to figuring out how to. Well, he's to be excused since he is nearly 92.

Can't wait to hear the results of the CAT's (more light, enhances human visual accuity of the features within the belts on Jupiter) versus the 6" semi-Apo (sharper, more jewel like images, no annoying central obstruction). Very interesting comparison since so many people have 8" SCT's.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#141 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hi James,

Interested in how this comparison comes off, as many of us on CloudyNights have viewed through excellent samples of Meade and Celestron catadioptric scopes.

Best of luck with those pesky clouds :>

Hi David, Alistair G. and All....

Last night we really have no luck again, and is even worst than previous weekend...
Around 6pm, thick clouds are all over the whole place, and it starts to rain... and by around 8pm, since the rain has not stopped, so we decided to call off the meet up for the 3 scopes shoot out.....

After 10pm, as the clouds start clearing, I can only use my own scopes and do a simple setup at home, using my C8 Ultima 2000 and the 152 APM ED APO....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#142 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

Hi All....

Although I do not consider this C8 Ultima 2000 and 152 APM ED APO, as a shoot out, but I think is worth to mention here my comments with regards to my 2 personal scopes...

1. The C8 Ultima 2000 is manufactured before year 2000, and has only starbright coating unlike the newer one which is XLT coating....

2. The collimation is not perfect, as I tested it last night at Aldebaran at 250X. The concentric rings is still not adjusted until I have 3 full equally spaced rings, but at least is not slew to one side....

3. The cool weather after the early rain, gives a very calm atmosphere although Jupiter is not shining as bright as the night, the 2 APM scopes did the shoot out....

4. As I need Jupiter to be in the Western side, which my 2 setup are pointing to, I waited until almost 12am midnight, then I can comfortably have Jupiter to come into view....

5. The C8 Ultima 2000, is the first to view Jupiter, and with enough cooling time, I only managed to get the best view before image breakdown , using 12.5mm plossl,around 160X...
The surface contrast of Jupiter is not very crisp and lack of details , as compared to the previous weekend view , on both the 5" triplet and 6" ED APO...when the seeing condition is very bad...
The moons of Jupiter, cannot be focused as a round disc, and maybe this is due to the scope still not in collimation...

6. Before I can view Jupiter through the APM ED APO, I thought I am going to be disappointed tonight...
But once Jupiter is spotted from the APM ED APO, the image is much better than last weekend, and I have no problem to power up to 200X, using the 2X barlow and baader zoom at 12mm...
I even drop in my 6mm Vixen LV ep, and the contrast is really sharp and well defined....
The moons of Jupiter are resolved as full disc with no CA spotted at the edges...
I tried to crank the power to 300X, but the image seems to breakdown slightly....

7. Since I have plenty of time, I took out my Canon 550D, and with a 5X barlow, I shot this photo of Jupiter,.....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#143 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Hi ALL...

8. After I have taken the Jupiter shot through the APM ED APO, I went over to the C8 Ultima 2000 again, and wanted to see how does M42 appears in the scope tonight....
My main focus is zooming at the trapezium stars and the gas clouds surrounding it.....
And the Ultima 2000, with its big aperture, is showing very thick gas clouds , but the trapezium stars although are visible, are not very sharp in contrast...,

9. Once M42, is visible in APM scope view, I look through, and is not difficult to determine the differences....
The trapezium stars are easily focused....and the background view is very nice....
But the gas clouds is not able to compare to the Ultima 2000 rich and thick layers....and this is due to the smaller and lesser light gathering aperture....

10. Lastly with the past few occasions of using the APM ED APO, the best view is still on the night , when it confronts the APM triplet....
It is also the only time that the APM ED APO has went beyond 300X, and still the view is great, and rivals what I have been seeing now even at 200X or 250X....
The only things that I did not understand fully is why the moons of Jupiter is showing the CA on that night, but now it did not happen again....Perhaps is brightness and high power?
As the real shoot out against the other 2 8" SCT, is not carried out, will try to do that in another weekend ...and hopefully the weather does not play hide and seek with us again...

Regards

James Ling....

#144 Saied Mabrouk

Saied Mabrouk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Longmont, Colorado

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thanks James. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

#145 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

Well a couple of nights ago I tried the "Park Scope" that someone had told me about (that I mentioned previously) for use on the LX90. I tried it on my Meade SN102 and it worked great i.e. after I parked it (using Utilities / Park Scope) then powered it off (red light goes out) and unplugged the handbox cable, then waited 5 seconds, then plugged back in the handbox cable, then powered the scope back on again, it remembered the previous alignment and GOTO worked fine, without needing to re-align on anything.

So I went up to Jon's house last night and tried Park Scope on his 8" LX90 and it worked in exactly the same way as above. And I could by doing this swap between AutoStar and AudioStar handsets with ease, depending on preference! Very cool.

And yehay his AutoStar worked fine again once it had dried out for a week. Excellent. Thank goodness.

And I got a great view of the shadow transit of Europa and the GRS in view all at the same time, plus a splotch of cloud which was a definite blue, on the left, on the top belt, to the top left of the GRS, great stuff. And I am getting up the confidence to tweak the collimation but I'll try that when it gets a bit warmer (it was -1C last night). The central obstruction is still slightly above centre in the diffraction rings when out of focus at 250x.

I did another Star Test on Polaris and this time I can see that the inner and outer rings are both slightly brighter on one side of focus than on the other. Must try swapping for the mirror diagonal plus visual back instead of just an SCT prism diagonal to see if it alters the Spherical Aberration.

Will be waiting to hear about your tests on Jupiter with 8" Edge, and normal SCT's versus the 6" semi apo / apo, when you have better weather. Very interesting.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#146 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hi Saied Mabrouk.

Thanks for your comment....

Hi Alistair G.

Great to hear that the handset is fine after drying it....
Also nice to hear you are able to enjoy the great view of Jupiter with its GRS and transit of Europa...with the type of cold weather.....

Hi All...

Although the 152 APM ED APO is just an ED APO, but I really want to see how well it performs against those scopes that I can get them to do the shootout....

This coming weekend, Saturday, we are going to attempt another shootout with the 2 8" SCT.....

If the APM ED APO performs well, we may do more shoot out with the 10" Meade , 11" edge , or even my 10" Mewlon...
But again, we are all referring to planetary shoot out....

As for me, I just want to take another decent single photo of Jupiter with the GRS, with my DSLR, without processing it....which is the one I've posted last weekend....when the weather permits....

Regards

James Ling

#147 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Great to hear that the handset is fine after drying it....
Also nice to hear you are able to enjoy the great view of Jupiter with its GRS and transit of Europa...with the type of cold weather.....

BTW One thing that bugs me about the LX90 ACF ;-

I use my friend Jon H's LX90 8" ACF at the moment for when I like to use a larger 'scope. His is stored outside. In future I plan on getting an 8" LX90 ACF myself but I want to be able for it to be taken indoors, because of security concerns, and I am worried about the cool down issue.

Also, I want to be able to be take it to observing evenings and again cool down is an issue.

Two questions come immediately to mind ;-

1) When is Meade going to fit a fan to the LX90 OTA like their competitor offers! You know what, I think I'll write to Meade by email and tell them about this. If enough of us write a short message about this to Meade, maybe they'll make the change ;) EDIT: OK I just sent 2 mails about this, one to Meade's Shopatron website contact address, and one to Telescope House (BCF), the UK importer for Meade, asking them to pass on the request. Since Meade is quite difficult to contact if you are in UK.

2) For those that have an 8" ACF, how long does the cool down take on the it, i.e. until the Star Test is very good, from the 'scope being indoors at 18C / 64F approx., going into outdoors temperatures of 1 or 2 C / 34 to 36 F, for the worst case scenario of winter observing?

I hate that the Celestron "equivalent" (well sort of, but more upmarket)(CPC 800 HD deluxe) is almost DOUBLE the price. I also hate it that the CPC 800 HD Del. is 20Kg (44 Lbs) instead of the 33 lbs (15Kg) of the LX90 8" ACF OTA + fork arms + base. Have to admit I'm not overly keen on equatorial mounts and balancing and counterweights. Hence the want of a Alt Az mount. If only quality larger refractors were available with Alt Az mounts!

If Meade put a fan in the 8" LX90, or if Celestron brought out a CPC 800HD with the LX90's weight, I'd buy one right now.

Hope that the 8" SCT's are cooled (i.e. are showing a very good Star Test at 250x) before the testing on Jupiter's details LOL. Can't wait for the comparo. :D

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#148 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Oh Dear :bawling:

I just got a reply from Meade (that was a surprise!) which reads ;-

"There are no announced plans to include a fan on any 8" model, as cool down time on scopes of this size doesn't require their use.

Please contact your UK retailer or Meade Customer Service at US 949-451-1450 for further information; department hours are 7am to 5pm Pacific Time Monday through Friday.

Best Regards,

John Piper
Manager, E-Commerce
Meade Instruments Corp."

Sorry but I don't agree with his views. I want the OTA to cool quickly (within 40 minutes) like you can do with the Lymax Cat cooler on a standard SCT of 9.25", for example, from what I read. Otherwise from what I read I would be
waiting 1 1/2 hours for it to cool. Not good if I want a 30 minute look at Jupiter after bringing it outdoors and then a 10 to 15 minute alignment / tripod levelling...

And if a fan is not needed, why the heck does Celestron sell an OTA which has one built in?!

PS I also found this interesting topic about putting a fan in an LX90 and why you would need it ;-

http://www.cloudynig...,8,9,10/Numb...

PS I just replied to the sales person above from Meade, letting them know that they are wrong about the cooling issue, and telling them how long an ACF SCT would take to cool (from what I read) compared to if there was a fan in it that you could run AS AN OPTION.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#149 XyrcesFenol

XyrcesFenol

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Maybe it is time to return this thread about APM 152 ED APO to the original topic, it is a really interesting scope.

#150 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi ALL....

Yes... As the 2nd 152 APM ED APO is still not heard much at all, and may only be in March....

I hope I can do more scope to scope shoot out, which I wanted to do one , if possible , before someone else receives their " previous " one......

And that is the one in this photo, has has five open oval holes towards the front of the len cell, which is very effective for cooling, as compared to closed tube....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics