McMaster Carr's 3d Models

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I use cad a lot, I use McMasters a lot. I never played with their 3d models.

Duh!

Last night I had some free time so I tried several of their 3d formats and it locked my program up, until I imported the *.sat files. They didn't import to autocad but they import into my 3dviz.

the *.sat files import into viz so easily, I was like wow why didn't I do this before. wow, I can actually use the washers, shoulder bolts and everything to layout my 6point cell. Its so nice to be able to see that the 3-1/2in long hex head cap screw didn't work, so lets see the 4-1/2in and not spend money. :lol: they even had the black nylon acorn nuts and external tooth washers.

and how doesn't the spherical bearing fit, height/width, compared to the oval top distorted nut? wow the oval top distorted nut would make things lower, but spherical bearings are so nice...

It was fun laying this out with real parts instead of schematically deriving the parts.

the only part they didn't have was the wire rope single saddle clips to attach the wire rope around the linear bearings.

The linear bearigns came with the clips that were editable but the eyebolts come with the nuts attached, and I couldn't edit them out.

Posted Image

and since I already made my mirror box and cell, lets just see if my design of the tailgate clears against real parts. :o

Posted Image

Yes, another test that proves success!

#2 GpB311

GpB311

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

We use their parts fairly frequently in a solidworks and an autodesk inventor class Im taking. I just ordered something from them for the first time on Thursday and one of my items arrived the next day. Great service, maybe not the cheapest prices, but I love that so many of their parts and such are available for download in multiple formats.

#3 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm a heavy CAD user too. I never even knew they had those files available, that's awesome!

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I just ordered something from them for the first time on Thursday and one of my items arrived the next day. Great service, maybe not the cheapest prices,

yeah somethings aren't the cheapest but that next day shipping is very inexpensive.

#5 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

yeah somethings aren't the cheapest but that next day shipping is very inexpensive.

Often times there stuff really is cheap compared to most sources, and don't forget the time savings.

Trying to hunt up a lot of stuff in hardware stores is time-consuming if not outright futile.

The biggest problem I see is the minimum quantity (for fasteners, say) - on a per piece basis it is really cheap, but you need to buy a bag or box of 10, 25, 50 or 100.

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

and they even have 3d models of your "star" nuts. :grin:

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

here's a mirror cell teeter totter with mcmaster-carr parts in sketch-up.

Posted Image

#8 ccaissie

ccaissie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Careful when you rotate the view. You'll have parts in your lap.

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

really? :grin:

I could put the entire cell cause sketchup has a 10meg limit.

I was really suprised how the kydex ring turns a bunch of floppy sloppy parts into a real spring loaded system.

#10 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

here's another model I couldn't load cause their goofy limit. but since I took out the threaded rod and just used cylinders the same size this model is up there now...

Posted Image

#11 jonathanCR

jonathanCR

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Nice work, I really hate the size limit in the 3D warehouse.

#12 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

I just ordered something from them for the first time on Thursday and one of my items arrived the next day. Great service, maybe not the cheapest prices,

I live up in the So. Cal Mountains and use McMaster-Carr. Typically McMaster-Carr ships UPS ground out of Santa Fe Springs and if I order on a business weekday Mon-Thursday even as late as 6PM my order will arrive on my doorstep the next day. If I really need a part I can call and pick the part up at will call in Santa Fe Springs, a straight drive down the 330 across the 210 and down the 605. Then there is always McFadden-Dale industrial hardware closer by in Ontario or Corona http://www.mcfadden-dale.com/.

Don Clement

#13 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

gracias

#14 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

If I really need a part I can call and pick the part up at will call in Santa Fe Springs, a straight drive down the 330 across the 210 and down the 605.

yeah, I have a McMaster dist center about an hour away, if I really need it I could drive down and pick it up.

boy I wish I still had my YMAX 14-40 lathe with DRO!!!

#15 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

just put up a craford focuser...although I had to replace the threads with cylinders to keep the files size down...

Attached Files

#16 skywolf856

skywolf856

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yea use 'em and love it!
Just about anything industrial that you want has a cad file available. Not like the old day's when you had to draw it from scratch! I don't miss getting pencil lead all over my shirt! :yay:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics