Photo

Ever sold your stuff and bought it back - YES

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I think maybe the astronomy community is one huge circle where we buy and sell things and a couple of years later buy it back only to resell it again <smile>

I love the guy I bought from and was willing to accept my personal check only to be turned down by me a few montths later on his personal check. You know somethimes it is hard to keep track of everything especially if you buy and sell alot which is half the fun for me. 99% of the people I have met through buying and selling have been outstanding. Out of 240+ transactions maybe only one sour purchase (not bad) :ooo:

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Never the exact same item, but I have bought and sold four different telescope models.

C5... Sold one, and regretted it, replace it with another C5. Still have the C5. It is an amazing little scope.

C8... Sold one and regretted it, replaced it with another, but sold that one, only to replace with C8 EdgeHD.

Celestron CR150.. Sold one, later bought another one, but could just never live with the CA. The scope was not really useful to me for anything by low power.

Vixen 140NA. A very interesting scope, offering a massively wide true field, and one of the most influencial telescopes I have owned. Made me truely appreciate the wide field advantages of refractors. In the end though, it was another achromat and not well suited for high power observing. That being said, from time to time, I flirt with the idea of buying another one.

So, not the exact same sample, but numerous examples of buying the same model of something, selling it, and then missing it.

#3 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Thanks interesting read... I am sure the C8 EdgeHD is a killer scope. I have never looked through a Vixen 140NA but I sure like the size of it. I think about everyone of us has sold a scope and regretted it after the sale. I have been into SCT's for a very long time trying AP and now going the refractor route and hopefully with some good results.

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Bought a CPC 11 HD and sold the 8 SE to a friend.

Two weeks later the 8SE was back home and I'll part with it when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Maybe this winter won't be THAT bad.

The 8SE is wonderful combination of lightweight mechanics and quality optics. It's my most used scope for just those reasons. Portability is king of the castle and my 8SE is master of my domain.

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

No--when I sell stuff, I buy different stuff, and never the same stuff.

#6 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

I once tracked down two subsequent owners of a '78 Music Man Stingray (bass guitar) that I sold over 15 years earlier. I felt like I was searching for a lost child.

#7 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I once tracked down two subsequent owners of a '78 Music Man Stingray (bass guitar) that I sold over 15 years earlier. I felt like I was searching for a lost child.

I'm glad I never sold my Rogers Power Tones . A priceless classic that will be thrown on top of me when I go into the ground . They'll need to dig a big hole cause my scopes and Jeeps need to go in there too !
What's wrong with me ? I've never been a seller , or at least when it comes to personal purchases . If I buy it , I tend to keep it forever . A few used cars I got rid of . But with the Jeeps , they have all been keepers 4.0 and 4wd . Now I have four . Big hole !
And I used to be a salesman .
:crazy:

#8 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Not my story, but related: The original owner of my Obsession 20 sold it after investing a bunch of $$ and effort in improving it (one of the reasons I bought it). He wanted to get into imaging. After another 4 or 5 years, he sold all of the imaging gear to buy a new Obsession 20, this time with GoTo. Unfortunately he had to also sell that one about a year later after cancer limited his ability to use it.

#9 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Several years ago I bought an extra 2" dielectric diagonal off the used market. A couple years later I decided I didn't really need a spare, so I sold it. About a year or two later my scope lineup changed a little, so I bought an extra one again. Another couple of years later, I noticed that the guy I bought the last one from had a wanted ad for the same item, and I ended up selling it back to him.

Incidentally, I just sold this same guy a 4" apo refractor. I really had mixed feelings about selling that one, but had just bought something with slightly larger aperture to replace it, and couldn't justify keeping both refractors. Before selling it to him, I made him promise that if he ever decided to part with it, that he email me first. Something tells me that I haven't seen the last of that scope!

So yeah, I can definitely relate to what you're saying. :)

#10 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

There are a couple of times I wish I could have bought back something I sold....i.e., I sell something to help buy something else I think might be better suited only to find that it isn't.

Sometimes I feel like we could use a gear library where you just borrow a piece of gear for a few weeks/months and then return for something else - oh wait, I think that describes how I already use Amart :foreheadslap:

#11 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

Yes. One year ago, I bought back my very first beginner scope, a Tasco model 9TE-5 60/700mm refractor. I sold it in 1978 (at age 15), in order to raise funds for my first Technis HiFi music equipment.

I bought back that Tasco model from a gentleman in South England. Not exactly my personal scope, but the same model in original and untouched mint NIB-condition in the period original box from the early 1970's, complete with all accessories.

Buying back that little Tasco was an act of pure nostalgia...

Stephan

#12 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Once I sold a Super Polaris mount to a fellow club member. A few years later I bought it back.

Another time I sold a Celestron C102f to get funds for a down payment on a new house. I missed that scope so much I bought another one on A-mart a couple of years later.

#13 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

No--when I sell stuff, I buy different stuff, and never the same stuff.

Ditto for me.

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Sometimes I feel like we could use a gear library where you just borrow a piece of gear for a few weeks/months and then return for something else - oh wait, I think that describes how I already use Amart :foreheadslap:

+1 :grin:

#15 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

There have been quite a few items I regret selling, but so far only two I have bought back (same model):

1) 22 Panoptic. A real gem of an eyepiece, especially with long focus Newtonians. Sharp, immersive, and relatively low glass count. A natural bridge from the 31 Nagler to the Delos focal lengths.

2) SkyWindow binocular mount. Absolutely the most comfortable binocular mount yet conceived. The entire assembly and tripod can be carried one-handed to the backyard, sessions can go for hours without fatigue.

#16 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have only sold one telescope that I TRULY regret selling. It was an APM/TMB 6" f/8 APO and I sold it while under duress from a breakup. I have often thought about sending the new owner an email to see how he's doing after 5 years - maybe he's moved on, hobby-wise......

But I haven't.

Dave

#17 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm such a compulsive hoarder of astro-gear that in the six+ years I've been seriously back into astronomy, I've only ever once sold anything (Orion XT8 dob with four plossl eyepieces thrown in with it) and cannot imagine ever wanting them back. OK make that twice, I sold the stock 9x50 finderscope off my 12XTi dob for a nominal amount to a friend in our club and cannot imagine ever wanting that back either, since I now have a much mo'better finderscope than that (SV60).

I have a few minor items of rarely-used equipment I could sell, but I have my obsessive-compulsive rationalizations for hanging onto them: an Orion 1.25" laser, an Orion combo 1.25" collimating tool, and a 1.25" TuBlug, which are really only useful at our club's occasional telescope tune-up clinics where non-members nearly always bring in inexpensive scopes with 1.25"-only focusers. You all may get your chance to buy these items, though: at the estate sale my heirs conduct someday.

#18 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Talk about losing it. I sold a nice Selsi 80x910, a Jason 80x1200 and a Pacific Instruments mount to 3 different parties locally 30+ years ago. I'll be damned if I can remember who they were or what they looked like. What are my chances of buying this stuff back???? Huh? :crazy: :foreheadslap: :crazy:Mike

#19 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Over the years I've owned the same piece if equipment more than once. My second scope ever was a Meade AR5. I sold and a couple years later I bought another one and I still own it. Also I've owned a 80/9D twice.

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Will pricing be based on what you told your wife you paid for them???? :lol:

#21 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I do my best to avoid the exact cost. I like to use a ballpark figure when discussing my purhcases with her. She always said to have fun and I am spending as much as I can. The house looks fine to me with scopes parked in the dinning room. I think it enhances the beauty of our home.

#22 AB9MS

AB9MS

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Yes. My Meade 8" LX50. 7 years ago or so I had to decide, sell the scope or have the lights turned off. I sold the scope. A couple of years ago the guy I sold the scope to need his car worked on. My brother traded car work for the scope. This year my brother wanted a couple of guns I had. We traded the scope for guns. I got MY old scope back home.
YEA!!

#23 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Scope for guns?

I thought you put a scope on a gun! :shocked:

#24 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Scope for guns ?

How about that ?
:grin:

#25 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Never the very item but often the same. 3 c8s,2 rv6s,3 sets meade Rgs,2 sets tv smoothisde plossls,2 sets meade smoothside super plossls.3 sets parks gold,antares elite,2 ar5s,6 sets circle t orthos,etc over the years

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics