Coronado PST Review

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

PST works great side mounted. I have mine permanently attached to a Vixen dovetail adaptor and mount it on an extra dovetail attached to my TMB92L rings, with the TMB capped by a white light filter to allow both modes of solar observing on the same mount, usually an AT Voyager. It's a great, stable, versatile and easy to use system:

Attached Files

#27 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yeah, nice setup!

#28 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Performing some necromancy on this thread for an update to my review: I finally obtained what I think may be the ideal eyepiece for the PST, and it's the Orion 6mm Expanse. Nice wide field, good image scale, high magnification without image breakdown, long enough eye relief to play well with my glasses and no vignetting from the small blocking filter.

Got it at my nearest scope shop yesterday for 44 bucks. Works like a champ.

#29 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

I salute your temerity in resurrecting a long dead thread!

It lives!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Below my clubmate, Daniel, observes through my PST DS (mounted on a Desert Sky Astro DSV-1 dual saddle alt-az mount atop an Oberwerk wooden tripod) while I take a peek through Daniel's single Etalon, bino-viewer-equipped 60mm Lunt.

Posted Image

Yes indeed. Solar "swingers" swapping scopes without regard to social norms. What do you expect? We're from Northern California. :shrug:

On a more serious note, this shot is taken at Gallo Campground, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, in San Juan County, New Mexico. The epicenter of North American archaeo-astronomy.

Now, given that we're loosely talking "Sol", I have to share another Chaco-solar reference image. Below is Fajada Butte as seen from our group campsite in Chaco.

Posted Image

Atop the butte is the famous "Sun Dagger" petroglyph/lithic slab site. You can read all about how the site functioned as a visual solstice and equinox calendaring device here:

http://www.explorato.../sundagger.html

Now here's the really nifty thing about a quality digicam. When I blow up the image from my little Panasonic point-and-shoot (Lumix DMC-LX7) you can actually clearly see the slabs responsible for generating the "daggers" of light!

http://i95.photobuck...zps14cb83a6....

View it at full size; the red arrow points to the slabs.

Well Sun of a gun! :grin:

- Jim

#30 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Very cool! Chaco canyon is the only major Anasazi site I have yet to visit. Definitely a bucket list item.

One of the members of my club is an archaeo-astronomy expert and gives a handful of presentations every year on various topics. He recently covered Chaco and it made me want to visit even more.

#31 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Tristan, you'd love it. It has the highest concentration (sites per area) of major Ancestral Puebloan ruins in the country. The largest by masonry mass, Pueblo Bonito, certainly reached 4 stories and maybe 5 at its peak. The best thing about Chaco though are the bad roads into the park. It keeps visitorship down, so anyone making the effort to go really wanted to be there. It's a great "filter".

By all means, do it! When you get ready to go, ping me and I'll send you the club's trip planning novel...er...handout.

Take the PST, of course, and something for night. We had two bino-scope Dobs this trip; a 16" duo and an 8" duo. Really incredible. I ended up observing with a 111mm refractor because I forgot the power cable for my mount for the C9.25. :foreheadslap: But I spent as much time using other people's scopes as my own anyway.

Regards,

Jim

#32 Americal

Americal

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Off topic but... "The best thing about Chaco though are the bad roads into the park". This is close to the understated quote of the year. Two of the four vehicles going in on the south access blew tires. Watch out for the cattle guard grates, the ruts are worse than they look. That being said, Jim is right, it is an overwhelming archeological location.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics