• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ripper

Ripper

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SW Pa

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

First let me say I am not very experienced at all with the new digital era of astrophotography. I am a new telescope owner but have been watching the skies for a long time. I recently found my 35mm pictures of Comet Hale-Bopp and remembered how exciting it was as a teenager to take those pictures. The comets of 2013 however have me wanting to dabble into astrophoto a little.

I plan on taking sky portraits with the dslr. I could also do some afocal photography. (need to buy a adapter/mount) Would one of the Orion ccd cameras work for me also? I thought this would be a good introduction into the stacking, processing and editing aspect to maybe later on expand upon.

I am aware of the limitations of this equipment and do not expect to be taking shots of DSOs. The comets are my main subject and planetary shots would keep me satisfied and give me some experience processing.

My budget would be $200 for the project.
My equipment 102mm f9.8 refractor on a cg-5 and my 85mm spotting scope on an alt/az tripod.

Any thoughts on the best approach??

Thanks for the help!!!
Paul

#2 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Idaho, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Comets? Perhaps a T adapter and camera ring, coupled with a flip mirror? Deep Sky Stacker does a nice job of stacking comets and it's free.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics