My very humble Saturn shot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I tried my hand at imaging Saturn this morning. Mother Nature was very uncooperative though. Seeing was poor and there were some cirriform clouds complicating things. I used my Celestron 11 GPS with a Canon Power Shot SX210 camera and a 52mm long eye-relief eyepiece (eyepiece projection mode). The camera was in auto mode. Next time I will try it in program mode to better control exposure and focus. This is a raw image, no processing. So without further adieu, here'ssss.....Saturn.

Attached Files

#2 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Pretty Cool! Cpuldn't have been more than 30* altitude and it's a single frame afocal with point n shoot? I would say that's pretty darn good!

#3 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'd have to agree, afocal image and low, you can see a lot of atmospheric chromatic abberation. That setup would probably be fantastic on the moon.

#4 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thank you Shawnhar. I love your posts. Yep it is a single frame, one of the better ones and yes it is a point and shoot camera afocal style.

We now have total cloud cover and a front moving in so no imaging in the AM. Time for a long near-winter nap for me :sleepy:

#5 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thank you edsplace and funny you should mention the moon. I did image it this morning as well. Here is a shot of the moon with the same setup at ~ 4:30 MST.

I also love your work and posts to.

Attached Files

#6 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Very good effort sir! Man, just look at those rings open up...can't wait for Saturn to get higher. Thanks for sharing :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics