Photo

The truth about the Mayan Calendar

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I took a fantastic two-day long seminar at the Adler Planetarium back in January of this year. I learned about about the Mayan Calendars (yes, that's plural), and how astronomy really fits in neatly with their calendars and other aspects of Maya life. I developed a 45-50 minute long presentation that, over the last year, I have given at many local libraries, astronomy clubs and a star party. It has been well-received at each venue. I condensed most of the major/important aspects of my presentation into a 10 minute long video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e8LImGzil3s

Given that we as amateur astronomers readily know and/or understand many of the concepts involved in the calendar and their understanding of the sky, this really does fit nicely under a "General Astronomy" forum. Therefore, I thought it might be helpful for those of us who may not know about the Mayan Calender, but would like to discuss it intelligently prior to December 21, 2012.

However, if the mods deem this needs to move to another forum, I understand (hopefully not in "Off Topic" since it really is astronomy-related in many ways).

#2 SteveNH

SteveNH

Viking 1

• Loc: Millbrae, CA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Excellent, entertaining, and very informative. I truly enjoyed watching it - thank you, David, for posting this!

Steve

#3 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Steve! I'm just sharing the information I learned.

#4 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

thanks.. I kept waiting for you to use the word cycle and was gratified :) I understand that there are some codices that could be interpreted as problems but I can't remember.. I think there were two separate sources, the dresden codices? and something found in a temple, associated with that particular long count reset. but as the old mayan guynsays, interpretation. I am not saying I ascribe to doomsday but you have to admit it is awfully , incredibly, amazingly odd that the. Calendar started befor they were supposed to be a civilization and ends these thousands of years later accurately On a celestial event. Very hard to believe they did this with sticks in the sand and naked eye observing, seems like they had more skill than us.

#5 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Do you think NASA would tell you the truth? OOPs dead birds how did they explain that? Just kidding....lol. The sun is on the galactic plane every winter solstice, right?

#6 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

Therefore, I thought it might be helpful for those of us who may not know about the Mayan Calender, but would like to discuss it intelligently prior to December 21, 2012.

So are you saying we are not going to be around the discuss it, intellectually or otherwise, after Dec 21st then ? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

A few of the local authorities etc here have been asked and the several seem to have suggested using the Boy Scout Guide to making a fire and shelters etc for after the apocalypse. :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:

#7 bigstormgirl

bigstormgirl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Indiana

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Both my DH and I enjoyed your video David. Liked it so much that we shared it on FB. Excellent job! :bow:

#8 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the very good video. :waytogo:

Ed D

#9 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Good thing I got my Christmas Present early......

#10 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Therefore, I thought it might be helpful for those of us who may not know about the Mayan Calender, but would like to discuss it intelligently prior to December 21, 2012.

So are you saying we are not going to be around the discuss it, intellectually or otherwise, after Dec 21st then ? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ha! I missed my own (erroneous) implication! :lol: :bow:

#11 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Folks, as long as this is discussed in the manner the OP has suggested, the thread will be fine. However, if it starts to go downhill with chatter about "doomsday", it will be locked; as other threads in OTO have been on that particular topic.

#12 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for the admonition Carol; I certainly hope the thread does stay focused on the Maya, their calendar system and astronomy.

#13 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Great presentation, thanks!

#14 Pharquart

Pharquart

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southwest Minneapolis Metro

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

I had some business associates ask me about this, knowing I was into astronomy. I told them I could walk all around the building and find numerous calendars that "run out" on December 31, all made by different companies. This, I concluded, was vast evidence that the world was ending not on December 21 (supported by one ancient calendar), but on December 31 (supported by calendars based on modern science). That analogy helped them understand the situation.

Brian

#15 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Every January 1st we start a new year, so why is it that when the Myan calendar ends the world ends rather than the calendar just starts over? Feel free to answer this on Sat. Dec. 22nd. I will be waiting for an answer.

#16 ZeroID

ZeroID

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Every January 1st we start a new year, so why is it that when the Myan calendar ends the world ends rather than the calendar just starts over? Feel free to answer this on Sat. Dec. 22nd. I will be waiting for an answer.

That's an excellent answer. Haven't had too much flak on Dec 21 yet but there's been some mutterings amongst the mis-informed. Must keep tat one handy. thanks !! :bow:

#17 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Are you asking me? :confused:

#18 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Here's a resource, Volume XXIV, 2011

http://www.utexas.ed...nals/jarch.html

Such things as The Maya Calendar and 2012 Phenomenon Studies; Primordial Time and Future Time: Maya Era Day Mythology in the Context of the Tortuguero 2012 Prophecy; The Sidereal Year and the Celestial Caiman: and Measuring Deep Time in Maya Inscriptions.

And also this, Songs from the Sky: Indigenous Astronomical and Cosmological Traditions of the World

http://terpconnect.u...stro/songs.html

Back to Maya-specific, try MAYA AND MESOAMERICAN ARCHAEOASTRONOMY

http://www.tulane.edu/~danny/maya.html

Also good is The War Against Time--The Secrets Of The Incas, and the "invisible pyramid"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JCW35nSeLP0

:waytogo:

#19 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

I actually had a journalist contact me about "the planetary alignment on Dec. 21st". I showed him there would be no alignment. I then pointed him to E. C. Krupp's excellent S&T article from the Fall of 2011 that NASA has on their website here. I cc:-ed an Astronomy Prof he had also contacted in my response. Haven't heard a word from him since.

How did they clean up the Heaven's Gate mass suicide? Comet.

If you think you've seen this movie before, well, you have. But let's crack the champaign for Baktun 14!

#20 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

This has always been my thought as well. It goes something like this. A Mayan astrologer is chipping away on a stone tablet. His wife shows up and tells him dinner is ready, hence Dec 21st

#21 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

The truth about the Mayan Calendar is that they needed better monthly pictures. Paid subscriptions dropped off and the publisher went bankrupt.

#22 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

This has always been my thought as well. It goes something like this. A Mayan astrologer is chipping away on a stone tablet. His wife shows up and tells him dinner is ready, hence Dec 21st

No, they actually had a good astronomical reason for when it started and ended. No doubt they did what the Western world did, and backdated their calendar to a convenient "start date" - but they also managed to have a 1,872,000 days long calendar finish up 13 baktuns (a significant number for the Maya) on an astronomically important day, a winter solstice.

They were quite good as astronomy; it wasn't a matter of "Honey, dinner's ready."

#23 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Indeed, isn't it their accuracy--to within .0002 second that of our atomic clocks?--which makes any of the rest so potentially relevant or interesting?

#24 Slow Astronomer

Slow Astronomer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

As our scentific & investigative techniques advance and we reinvestigate ancient man it continues to amaze me at how much they are really like us. They don't have our technology but they certainly have the brains. Indeed, they helped create the technology. They could figure sophisticated concepts out. My eyeballs are getting sore from rolling up in my head every time someone proffers the ancient alien helping ancient man explanation. They WERE smart people. And yes, I think other life in the universe is probable but we may never find it. :doggy:

Dave

#25 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Wasn't it Caesar that burned that great library in Alexandria? Just think of the information lost. People have been smart for a very long time

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics