ieq30,any astrophotos?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crazygame12345

crazygame12345

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

i have kept an eye on the new mount ieq30 for a long time.
I didnt see any astrophotos by ieq30 yet, though ieq45 create many beautiful pictures
why?
and, who took deepsky photos by ieq30?

foreign speaker , poor English,thanks

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Just took a bunch of subs tonight of the "basics" out there while still working out bugs in the system. When I get a chance, I'll try to get them online-worthy.

Paul

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Okay - don't hold it against the mount (which was spot on all night), but this is actually my first AP since I was a kid (when they had this thing called film...yeah, film!). The focus is off, as is the collimation, but having to get EVERYTHING working at once takes a bit, and I had to swap out cables and things to even get this. But then I pulled an M42, a Rosette and M44, just for luck.

Paul

Attached Files

#4 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Paul,

Thanks for posting the pic! I'm considering a Ieq30 and it is good to see a sample. Looks pretty good to me! What are the specs for the picture? Length of subs, camera, guiding method, etc.?

#5 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Mike,

Again - first night doing it:

6" "Baby" PowerNewt - F/2.84 - 433mm FL
QHY12 CCD - 3min x 15.
Used the Borg 50mm piggybacked with the Lodestar (tracking was very smooth according to the Lodestar log in MaxIM DL (at the time).

I've talked/digital'd quite a few people lately about this mount. It's certainly a mid-level mount (no Mach-1), but it's really on the light end of the mid-rangers, while still carrying a bit of weight. I'm doing about 16lbs with my AP ring and it's just fine. Visually, it takes the ES 152mm achro quite well, but it's a bit finicky with that particular scope (not the PowerNewt) on the Dec balance.

Paul

#6 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Paul,

I'm really impressed with the pic and not just that it was your first attempt in years. It shows me just what I need to know about the mount. I'm looking for the lightest mount I can find that will work for beginning or intermediate AP. Looks like the IEQ30 is up to the task. If you are doing 3 minute subs with a lightweight mount, that's great. I have a new LX80 that I like a lot but it doesn't look like it is up to the performance required for AP and it is heavier that I expected...

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

If you have Facebook and go to the William Optics fan page, there are some AP there using the GT81 and iEQ30.

William Yang measured the iEQ30 at 14" periodic error peak-to-peak. If true that's an amazing figure - better than some G11's, MUCH better than most CGEM's or Atlas, and encroaching on Mach1 territory (Mach1's are guaranteed 7" peak-to-peak before PEM).

Although of course periodic error isn't everything...

#8 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm so busy trying to get everything to work and then shoot, that I haven't had time to use PemPro yet. One day, I will....

Mike - I'll get better on the pics, just the first one (and very red) - but I figure they're close enough for a starting point.

What's nice about the iEQ30 is that I can one-hand the mount head. I see some of these guys struggling with their mounts and I just shake my head. Maybe for an observatory, but out in the field...I wouldn't have much fun that way.

Paul

#9 crazygame12345

crazygame12345

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

sorry i am late .

nice photo!i finally decided to upgrade to the ieq30.

it seems that you have no coma corrector, the stars in the centre are sharp while in the corner ,they have tails.

crazygame

#10 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

crazygame - actually, I do, that's something else going on - and I'm sure there will be lots of that until I straighten things out. Again: first shots ever, so there's still debugging, etc. and being able to get to a place once a month is not conducive to fast fixing of problems...but, such is life.

Paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics