Photo

baader maxbright ep centring

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

do users of baader maxbright experience any issues with ep centring to merge?
pity these do not have scd holders.

mike

#2 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Due to differences in the diameter of the eyepiece barrels and the holders, some tilt can occur. I try to stay above 14mm to avoid this issue, although I can use a pair of 7mm Naglers if I fuss with the centering a bit. To me, the one big advantage of the Mark V,s over the Maxbrights is the cam lock centering , if you want to use short fl eyepieces?
Rex

#3 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi Rex

i want to use a pair of 13mm tv smoothies. perhaps the lack of undercut is a good thing?

mike

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have no problems with a set of 13.8 mm Meade SWA,s, I really don,t think an undercut matters, its about small exit pupils and mechinical clearances causing tilt in the barrels.
Rex

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I have had instances where the eyepices did not line up properly. Usually a tiny bit of fussing will fix that.

But I also found that hooking a finger over the top of the lens housing and slighly pressing the eyepeices into the holder helped ensure that they were seated. This greatly reduced the amount of fussing required.

#6 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Seems a pity baader put alot of effort to improve prism seatings, but you still have to fiddle with eyepiece centring. if these had scd holders they would be superb

mike

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

I won't dispute that. It is the only true fault I found with the Maxbrights.

As I mentioned, with a little practice, I was able to minimize the impact. Worse was that the screws can be hard to reach when using Hyperions which you would have thought Baader would have noticed!

But I have said it before and will say it again... Designers are not all astronomers. But anyone putting a pair of Hyperions in the Maxbright would quickly conlude that it is not the optimal design for them.

For normal 1.25" eyepieces though, I got quite adept and getting them in right the first time. Again, the trick for me was to just press down on the top of the eyepiece while turning the screws.

But the Mark V mechanism is ooh so much better. Works perfectly with Hyperions. I still find it beneficial to slighly press down on the eyepieces though.

#8 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Seems a pity baader put alot of effort to improve prism seatings, but you still have to fiddle with eyepiece centring. if these had scd holders they would be superb

mike

The issue is not with the design of the Maxbrights but with all the variables in diameters of the eyepieces used.
The Mark V,s avoid this issue.
Rex

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics