• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I ran across this a Costco today. It is a children's climbing set, 7.5' in diameter and 46 inches high. Some clever person might remove some of the supports, sheath it, and mount is on top of an 8' or 10 ft/sq building. The label claims it will support 1000 lbs. You could put wheels on the base and rotate it. It's even called, "The Space Dome." $139.

Attached Files

#2 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yep, sure looks interesting. Thoughts on a cover? How about a couple of layers of that shrink plastic used for coverting boats in the winter.

#3 rlandsboro

rlandsboro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ. USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Interesting. I see how it could be supported and rotated. How would you make an opening to view through - one that could be opened and closed?

#4 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

You could easily copy this and build any size out of wood. In fact somwwhere in my memory, i have seen metal plates designed to build domes.

#5 kiwisailor

kiwisailor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lyttelton, New Zealand

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

. Thoughts on a cover? How about a couple of layers of that shrink plastic used for coverting boats in the winter.

Then sheath that in Fibreglass, remove the playset/plastic wrap, cut a slot and glue in some wood battens as stiffiners. A geo dome, and a toy for the kids- everyone wins :)

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Good find to adapt for astrodome :grin: I've a removeable clip-on ali shutter to my DIY 5.5ft dome [see my link].

Once the SpaceDome is weather clad, a lift-off ali or roll-off fabric shutter section should be possible as my two options below - the obstruction of the slim frame struts will be minor on observations especially with a larger aperture scope ;)

The dome could [with suitable cladding] be light enough to 'walk-around' on skids to aim in a different direction and elliminate the need for track and rollers :o

Attached Files

#7 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Wow! Tinker Toy dome. I'll have to visit Costco and see it. Nytecam has a good idea. I don't think I could use the dome, but it's worth a look.

#8 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Seems to me to be a rather rigid piece of Tinker Toy to me. When you set it on a flat surface it looks like you could out a long vertical slit several feet wide and it would stay rigidly intact while you fabricated the slit edges etc. :grin: Mike

#9 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

Thank you! thank you! thank you! Charles!!! I have been racking my brain trying to workout a way to cover out setup when we have to remove our 8' Astro haven dome in the spring for repair. All I'll have to do is fiberglass right over the space done add a flang on the bottom lift off the Astro haven and drop on the FB- space dome on. ... Now to find a Costo around here.

#10 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western NH

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

If it will just be a temporary cover consider shrinkwrap like they use on boats for the winter

Norm

#11 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Heck, just get a couple and build decoy domes from them to make your observatory look less interesting.

-Rich

#12 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hold everything! I just noticed there is a flat line at the mid-plane- if you get two, you can separate them to slide apart at that line, or put your shutter there ( the dome will be wider, though).

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics