• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi All,

I recently observed Jupiter. Here is my observing report.

I set the TMB 105mm (4.1") f/6.2 on its alt-az mount to observe Jupiter. I used the Baader binocular viewer with a 1.7x corrector with magnifications of between 79x - 185x. It was mostly clear night with a limiting magnitude of around 4.0. The seeing was often steady.

The South Polar Region appeared gray in color, while the South Temperate Zone appeared white in color. The South Equatorial Belt (SEB) was red in color. The Equatorial Zone appeared dusky or veiled.

The North Equatorial Belt (NEB) was red in color, but it appeared to have a more irregular outline to it than the SEB. There appeared to be rifts in the NEB. Also a light blue festoon was visible along the southern edge of the NEB.

The North Tropical Zone appeared white in color, while the North Temperate Belt was red in color. The North Temperate Zone appeared white in color, and the North Polar Region appeared gray in color.

Here is a link to my Jupiter Nomenclature page that shows that shows some of the Jovian features I observed:

http://ejamison.net/...menclature.html

Clear Skies,

Eric Jamison
http://ejamison.net/

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

There are indeed rifts in the NEB, or there were. Probably still there. You nailed a bunch of colors, cool. Sounds like you had a great night. Jupiter has been very good this year. Congratulations, great report.

#3 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi Norme,

Thanks for the kind words. I was fortunate to have steady seeing that night.

Best,

Eric

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Eric,

I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for the update! The NEB does seem to have much going on these days. Because of that there really is no non interesting side of Jupiter.

An aside it was fun rereading your account of the Gemini star occulted by Mars back in the day. Apparently we were both out under the stars that evening.

Pete

#5 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Eric,

I enjoyed reading your description of the colors and features you observed on Jupiter. I too have observed the NEB's irregular outline, and it is more pronounced than the SEB.

Dean

Dean

#6 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy reading your posts as well.

Yes the Mars occultation of Epsilon Geminorum on April 8th, 1976 was neat. I was using my Criterion RV-6 reflector and it provided a nice view. It was one of the best planetary scopes I ever owned.

What scope(s) were you using at the time and how did it look to you?

Best,

Eric

#7 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hi Dean,

Thanks. Looks like you are getting some nice views as well with your 10" Cave.

Best,

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics