CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This vs. that and what minimum mount/tripod

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Leawood, KS, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'm dreaming of a setup I can get part in a backpack and the other parts of the setup on the luggage rack of a bike. I want to go out on all the paved paths we have to find dark pockets to observe from.

I've got a small dob, but for this I want a different observing experience. I want to be seated on a small collapsible chair or just kneeling, and looking through a diagonal with a scope on a tripod mount.

Is a good photo tripod out of the question for even the lightest of these?

I also would like slow motion controls. I suppose an eq mount is out of the question.

Also tracking I suppose out of the question considering the weight of these items?

The OTA weights would have maybe a 1.25" barlow and a small not the huge giant heavy but small quality plossl eyepieces, light but decent 1.25 diag, and a rdf, so I am thinking with mount plate the weights I am dealing with are the OTA weights below plus maybe 1.5 lbs.

Here are the three:

celestron c6a 6" sct, 37%co, 10lbs, 1500mm, 25 mm mystery ep, 6x30 finder, star diag starbrigtht xlt coating, 399highpoint, no case

orion 5" mak, 31%CO, 8.6lbs, 1540mm, 25mm plossl, 6x26 finder, 45 erect diag, multi-coated, 399orion, soft case

celestron c5 5" sct, 37%co, 6lbs, 1250mm, 25mm mystery eyepeice, 8x20 finder, 45" erect diagonal, xlt coatings, 539optcorp, soft case

of these, the c6 seems the greatest value. it's also the biggest so if i would have a miserable time with a small mount vibrating that i'd need a bigger then non-portable mount?

The orion apex 127 is a good price also but I loose an inch and it's only 1.8 lbs lighter?

so to really go light the more expensive of the three, Celestron c5 and I loose an inch to the c6.

Really how much does the aperture differences and COs matter when I am going to be biking to dark pockets to observe from? if the 1 inch is worth the extra weight I really don't mind.

I figure I can carry a 15 lb pack on my back, fairly good size, and another 15 lb fairly good size pack, even something like a small mount and collapsed tripod.

So should I consider a 4th scope- the new etx 90 package for 399??

I think the tendancy of recommendations would be for some kind of quality alt-z mount and tripod. budget is not unlimited but I'll save up a little for quality.

Thanks for reading my spelling errors and bad grammar and all. I'm pumping out lots of text in lots of places right now.

ALSO note I will have a smartphone with skymaps, 12x50 binos and a planisphere.

Kind regards!
-mike

#2 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Ahh, then I found this:

http://www.optcorp.c...?pid=1115-13718

Vixen 110 on porta II mount. Just the ticket.. researching.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I think a small refractor is more convenient. SCTs have long focal length. Narrow field. More vulnerable to jiggles. Why not something like the 80mm Stellarvue ED with carbon tube?

#4 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

I think a sort focal length 80 to 100mm refractor would transport better than a Mak or SCT. If you wanted to do astrophotography a ioptron IEQ30 is very light but for visual with goto Celestron makes some lightweight mounts.

#5 Hikari

Hikari

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine, USA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

What about a nice chair and a nice pair of binos?

For small telescopes, a Mini Borg might be your thing.

#6 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yes, I meant to include that my first plan is to locate and study object with binos and then use the scope for a different view.

I will check out the Mini Borg. There are too many options. I may just right some dob-style mount for this project.

Thanks for your replies,
-mike

#7 JMW

JMW

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod is the best performer for rock solid steady and low weight. I use one with a DM4 for my grab and go. It handles a SV115T without any problems. A used Mini-Hitch mount would be lighter and have slow motion controls. It weighs about 3 pounds. The mini-hitch on a Gitzo could be under 9 pounds and handle a 80mm refractor without compromise.

This isn't a cheap solution but it shows what is possible when low weight and stability are most important.

#8 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Mini Hitch, Mini Borg, and the Gitzo,

Thanks!

#9 BuffaloTri

BuffaloTri

Explorer 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

You may want to switch to a RACI if you plan on kneeling or sitting low to the ground. A straight through finder will get uncomfortable really quickly.

#10 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'm processing this and I'll post an update and hopefully an evaluation of the system I end up with early next year;)

#11 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

I often have to carry my OTA/mount/accessories in my backpack, traveling on public transport and walk long distance to a dark site to carry out visual observation of sky objects.
I consider a C5 OTA weighing 5.5 lb is comfortable to carry. A Manfrotto 410 grarhead with slow motion control (2.7 lb) is very suitable. A photo tripod (Series 2, with the top leg at 28 mm diameter, weighing about 4 lb) can do the job. All add up to less than 15 lb.
http://www.adorama.com/BG3275.html
http://www.adorama.com/SIBSRN2004.html

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics