A post having somewhat to do with my Lurie

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Telescope makers have all sorts of problems, not enough glass, not enough pitch, and lots of time but with not enough money.

My story is far more intensely personal. Yes, I've had the above problems, but I've made more than a moderate number of telescopes.

What I wish to speak of is beyond these problems, and yet do involve my Lurie in 1978. Some of this is so intense.

In my life I have suffered extreme depressions, such that I have been in an institution six times now, because I was a danger only to myself and never others. Loose wards, locked wards, the whole 9 yards.

My first appearance at the institution was in 1978 while I was building my Lurie, when I could no longer even look at the lenses I was grinding. It was a relatively loose ward called Day Hospital where the staff kept us for 6 hours a day, using, medication management, group therapy, and one-on-one stuff. So I went though the process and began to feel a little better and, like the others, I was allowed to go home at night.

All well and good, until the day at the hospital, they announced the following day would involve "arts and crafts."
What the heck did I know about arts and crafts? And NO, no one was ever weaving baskets, as in that overused idea about what goes on in mental institutions. So I asked the person in charge, "What does this mean? He responded that I could bring in anything I wanted as long as it was craft related.

So I went home, could look at least at my Lurie lenses, selected a tool and lens ground to 220 grit. Put them in a padded bag with some 320 grit and a plastic water glass and went back to the hospital for arts and crafts. Everyone brought something; the ladies seem to be sewing and doing collages; some of the men did some very intense artwork, and then there's Turco, over in a corner...

Rubbing two glasses together with a grinding noise.

This attracted some attention. A Candy Striper came over and kindly asked what this was all about. I explained that I was grinding a telescope lens; she smiled and then went away. A little later, a nurse came over and asked the same question, got the same answer, seemed satisfied and went away. These people were making me lose my count of strokes and rotations, but at last alone, I hit my stride, until...

My DOCTOR walks in! He comes over to me and asked,

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm making a lens for my telescope."

The Doctor thinks very deeply, as all shrinks do and then asked,

"Are you really making a telescope, or are you fantacising about making a telescope?"

!!!!!

I hope someone will print this and use this story at Stellafane as my epitaph during their "Shadowgram". It will be my most appropriate good-bye when my time comes.

Ed :bow:

#2 Dave O

Dave O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sri Lanka

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ha, ha, ha! Too funny Ed -- Reader's Digest material even! Thanks for sharing.

PS. Lucky they let you go home that night. ;)

#3 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hey Turco,
I ain't heard no fat lady sing! Let's talk about you grinding your lenses for your Rosin, not you pushin' up daisies! You don't get off that easy, buddy!
Mike

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Shoulda' told the doc you were keeping up your grinding skills and that you'd give him a look when your scope was completed! Epitaph? Meh!

David

#5 glennnnnnn

glennnnnnn

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Very funny, although he had a point, since grinding 2 pieces of glass together isn't really making a telescope until they're working lenses and installed at the correct distance in the tube. And many people have to fantasize a lot about it before they make anything.
I remember the joke about the guy who lost all 5 lug-nuts for one of the wheels of his car, but watching from behind a fence was a mental patient who suggested that he take one lug-nut from each wheel and he would have enough to drive home. The guy said, "That's brilliant! But how did you figure that out... I mean... you're a nut!"
His reply was, "Hey, I might be crazy but I'm not stupid!"

Mental problems are challenges we all face, and depression is nothing to take lightly. I have lived through many horrible events like combat in Vietnam (the 1968 Tet offensive) and have suffered depression for that accumulation of terrifying and shadowy thoughts. -If you're depressed there's got to be a damned good reason, like your brain says STOP until the issue is resolved somehow. We live in a complex time when far too many stressful situations can make a person physically ill. You shouldn't have to accept blame in a world that has rules that you didn't write. Its not your fault.
One fine day the sun rose in the sky and there were a thousand trumpets playing a triumphant song!
-Glenn

#6 shootingsta98

shootingsta98

Sputnik

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

This is quite personal, and I very much like the humorous end to it.

I'm not so sure I would be able to be as open about something this personal with the public, but I have known you for nearly forty years, and in that time I have never known you to have difficulty speaking your mind.

And by being so open about the obstacles you faced with mental illness, and your determination to persevere, I am willing to bet that you may help someone out there that reads the postings on CN. Good for you!

-Bob

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

"Are you really making a telescope, or are you fantacising about making a telescope?"

!!!!!

That's only cause it wasn't optically black @320.
if it was polished out, nice and shiny, and they could see themselves, they would have understood.

People tend to like and understand shiny things cause it reflects their vain image. :lol:

#8 benula

benula

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stillwater, MN

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Great story Ed! It still blows my mind that such precision can come from such a (seemingly) primitive process.

btw, have you ever posted pictures/info on your Lurie? I'm sure it would be a big hit!
-Ben

#9 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

This is quite personal, and I very much like the humorous end to it.

I'm not so sure I would be able to be as open about something this personal with the public, but I have known you for nearly forty years, and in that time I have never known you to have difficulty speaking your mind.

And by being so open about the obstacles you faced with mental illness, and your determination to persevere, I am willing to bet that you may help someone out there that reads the postings on CN. Good for you!

-Bob

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

David

#10 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I had an article in S&T November 1979. It is lurking in my bio info listed below. Gotta be there somewhere.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics